Had enough

nuttyspaniel

After some serious thought Ive decided to sell up to give more time to other commitments. About xmas I seemed to loose someting in my love of shooting! It started at xmas when I last was out at the geese after a succesful morning decoying 3 geese for 4 shots I packed up went home unpacked the Jeep and looked at the 3 geese lying in the back and thought F@@K Ive got to deal with these now! I breasted 1 and gave the other 2 away it was a chore to breast to do that to 1 bird. That was that no more will I shoot geese ever. A few weeks ago I decided to sell my rifle to free up time, but then decided to get another! Now whilst still waiting for my variation and recieving the rifle from PNSE Ive decided enough is enough. Last friday me and bambi-basher went up our permission, B-B shot a buck within 5 mins of arriving, we found the beast and B-B done the gralloch. I stood watched and spewed my guts up!!!!!!! B-B then offered my the beast for the freezer as he has a fair bit already and blow me the same thought went through my mind as with the Geese F@@K that I dont want to deal with it!! And that was that my fun in the field is over.

I will be listing all I have over the next few days at throw away prices inc my new rifle that I havnt even got yet. The money isnt the reason its spent and gone.

At this time I would like to thanks all the friends and other people who Ive had the pleasure meeting and speaking to. Also to the other people who have helped me with any questions, problems etc. And to all my fellow sportsmen all the best in their chosen pursuit whilst it be punching holes in paper, varmint shooting or stalking. At times we have had differences but 99.9% these have been put behind us, and thats what the sport and life is about.

I wish each and all the very very best and a huge thanks for being able to part of such a special and unique group of comrades, long live your passion.

sorry to hear this mate, maybe onre day in the future the call of the wild will shout your name again.

good luck in what ever you do in the future

sorry to hear this mate, maybe onre day in the future the call of the wild will shout your name again.

good luck in what ever you do in the future

Thanks the Call has and never will leave me! But I was brought up to respect and never kill anything for the sake of killing! Its for the pot or not at all thats the reason behind my decision.

Thanks the Call has and never will leave me! But I was brought up to respect and never kill anything for the sake of killing! Its for the pot or not at all thats the reason behind my decision.

it is for that reason why god invented bench rest, f class , target shooting or even gong shooting

give that a go mate before you sell any thing

Sorry to hear your decisions John, I totally share your views regarding respecting game and being for the pot etc etc.

Maybe try speaking to the RFD you are purchasing your new gun from, he may be able to sell it to someone else without any lose to you, I get the impression that you are very passionate about shooting and feel that you are already losing enough.

Best wishes with your other commitments

Steve

Very Very sorry to hear that buddy :( , I did the same thing a few years ago with clay shooting .

I had been in the Welsh team for 19yrs and shot at International and Commonwealth level and have been very fortunate to have shot all over the globe,

I went out to malta , won a comp overthere come home and packed it in the next week , there was no fun in it anymore. ;)

Its will seem strange at first but something else will fill its place, :D

And I am sure you have enough mates up your way ,who will take you out if you ever get the urge :D .

Good Luck with what ever you get into next

All the best Andy ;)

Guest Sprags

Nutty me old mucker,

I nearly threw it all in a few year back, rifles, shotguns, lurchers the ######' lot, I am so glad I didn't now ;)

If money aint the driver for this then keep all your gear and return back the sport when you feel you can, don't quit buddy!!

Its a shame when the shooting fraternity loses a 'good un', and thats what you are Nutty, a good un'.

Regards,Sprags

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you enjoy your 'retirement' though and I hope you return to the sport when you feel ready for it, whether it be in the wild, or on paper.

All the best,

Oly

Nutty me old mucker,

I nearly threw it all in a few year back, rifles, shotguns, lurchers the ######' lot, I am so glad I didn't now ;)

If money aint the driver for this then keep all your gear and return back the sport when you feel you can, don't quit buddy!!

Its a shame when the shooting fraternity loses a 'good un', and thats what you are Nutty, a good un'.

Regards,Sprags

A huge thank you sprags. I appreciate your words. Resend your addy mate the shell holder is still sitting on the mantle piece.

Sprags and co this may help you understand!

Davie wrote:

John i am gutted that you have chosen to do this i cant even come close to imaganing my life with out deer. But it is your choice and i respect that and hope you find your holy grail some were else.

ALL THE BEST LONGSHOT

Ive found my holy grail 15 years ago mate my wife she has always stood by me no matter what I done or didn't. 10 years ago I played the pipes at the top level I then retired after not being able to fulfill a child hood dream! With you being scottish and from this neck of the woods you should understand this next sentence!! Shotts amd Dykehead chapped my door and offered me a chance to join and compete with them, I jumped at the chance to play with 1 of the worlds top pipe bands! I went to my work and asked for a tues and thurs early shift to allow me to get a practise, that was all that was required, but no quarentee that I was getting to compete, but f@@k me my holy grail was there. My work told me no they couldny gaurentee these shifts!! I came home n said F@@k it sold my pipes n retired!! Ive now taken the pipes back up n part of my life that I didnt think I missed has returned. I am really looking forward to the rest of my life with my wife my pipes and my fishing and generally chilling with friends. There are other reasons which have made my decision easier e.g. my firearms dept and my 1 2 1 Ive got in at present. But hey ho Im confident in my decision. And tell the baldy bugger that Ive no seen for a year or 2 whats happening!!

take care and try not to wind to many people up!!!

john

Guest Sprags
A huge thank you sprags. I appreciate your words.

Your more than welcome John ;)

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do, and I'm sure you'll pop in from time to time to say hello and let us know how you are, wont you?

As for the shell holder, I'd rather you kept it and kept shooting..... ;)

Regards,Sprags

good luck with whatever you choose to persue Nutty, as it has been said we all get the feelings you described at som point or another. I would agree tho, if its possible, keep some of your kit in storage, you never know what oppurtunities may appear.

Best wishs

Shrek

Sorry you will be leaving the sport, I totally respect your views, but like spud said, you can still shoot a rifles without doing the killing, hold on to your gear for a couple of months you may change your mind.

All the best

Neil

Haven't picked up a shotgun in 2 or 3 years and my rods are drying/crackin' in the garrage..... but l've still got 'em!!!

As the lads have said, and rightly so.... keep a bit of kit, you may never know when you'll need it.

Really sorry to hear this John, you have made some good friends and contributions on here.

Only you know in your heart of hearts how you are feeling,

Please keep dropping in the forum,

regards

john

I guess i will have to say good-bye on the wildfowling forum as well. lol.

john.

Sorry to hear about you giving up but it sounds like you have given it a lot of thought and consideration, you know when you have had enough and it's time to move on. You know your shooting friends will always welcome you back if you ever wish it.

Thank you for being good company, best of luck.

A

i went through just about the same thing in 2007/08 . the shotguns and the rifles never see the light of day for a year or so. i spent more time with my wife and kids and done a bit of fishing i gave up my place on the stalking sydicate thinking exactly the same F@@K that ive got to deal with all the deer i shot, the carry them back to the car then to the gamedealers etc and whilst this is going on im getting covered in ticks etc

then not to long ago i had an urge just to pick a rifle up and go for a wander so i did and realised what i had been missing so i bought a pda with exbal and now thats my love longrange shooting/ lamping foxes and if a place ever comes back up on the sydicate i'm gonna grab it.

ive been involved in field sports since i was a boy if its in your blood it wont go away. it will come back to grab you by the balls

dont sell all your gear mate just take a break like i did

atb tommy

Sorry to hear you've had enough. It seems strange that you want to sell up so soon though. I have hundreds of pounds worth of sea fishing kit, all good Penn rods, reels etc, but haven't been out for over a year. I had a tough winter with no money or work but still didn't pass them on. Now and again I go out and have a great time, but regular trips just bore me.

What I'm trying to say really is let your FAC run it's time. If you don't need the money just drown all your kit in oil after a good clean and shove it in the safe. Lock it all up and walk away. If when your FAC runs out you've not considered going out a few times, then pass on your kit. You've got nothing to lose now if you don't need the cash, but you'll get to see if it's what you really want. If I do anything too much I get fed up with it. A good break may just bring you back. The sport needs good guys. You'd be a great loss.

Archived