Primer Pocket Bulge!

andybrock

Preparing some 4 times fired 22br cases and noticed out of the 80 cases 4 seemed to have a primer pocket bulge, can’t say I’ve noticed it before, just wondering what’s caused it. Pressure(no other signs)  manufacturing defect?

The one on the left I’d consider normal, the righthand has the bulge. 

8CF01F9E-B7D6-423D-8840-2E7E4CD68D82.thumb.jpeg.f369d9730a26827a9e421ea518270ac8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Woodlander said:

The flash hole looks enlarged as well, unless it’s an optical illusion.   Have you reamed  out the flash hole, or has that occurred during firing?

Never touch primer pockets other than cleaning carbon out. The flash hole size is an illusion, when they’re square on they’re the same.

I think it’s happened under firing, odd how it’s just in 4 cases. 

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'll take it for granted it's not the decapping rod.

What does the inside look like? I'd send that photo to Lapua.~Andrew

Pretty sure it’s not the decapping rod, I decap in a separate operation and from what I remember they all popped out fine, I’ve checked the rod and it isn’t bent.

From what I can see the inside looks fine, I might cut one in half later and have a proper look.

The cases have been 4 times fired so I doubt Lapua would be interested.

Maybe the the expander ball thingy that screws on that holds the pin in has came undone a little which makes it longer and that's pushing the pocket forward..

I have a Lee lr decapping die but I've never looked up inside.. a neck of fl die could also do the same dent I guess 🤔

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

Maybe the the expander ball thingy that screws on that holds the pin in has came undone a little which makes it longer and that's pushing the pocket forward..

I have a Lee lr decapping die but I've never looked up inside.. a neck of fl die could also do the same dent I guess 🤔

I don’t use an expander ball, just seems odd that it’s only 4 cases, could have been there from new and I’ve just not noticed it.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:10 AM, andybrock said:

I don’t use an expander ball, just seems odd that it’s only 4 cases, could have been there from new and I’ve just not noticed it.

It could still be the de capping rod through too far, the pin holder would push on the inside of the case. That would be my go to, I'd re check the decapping die very carefully, it only just needs to push the primer just out of the case.

It may not be doing others as the pressure on the bottom of the case after it did those four, could have pushed the decapper back.

Presses create a lot of pressure.

Best of Luck

Robin