ATEC PRS 2 Moderator

lee w 118

I have just looked at these and honestly don’t understand the niche. 

Every silencer I have used decreased recoil really well and the noise attenuation is an overwhelming improvement. 

However on a range I will always wear ear protection so a silencer or dedicated brake is a mute point. 

@lee w 118  how much are they? Jacksons are the distributors so if any one really wants one and has an old silencer they distribute they offer a trade in. 

I'm probably wrong but that looks like a marketing gimmick.

A muzzle brake reduces recoil by redirecting high pressure, fast-moving gas.

A moderator cools and slows supersonic gas and dampens the pressure gradient (for want of a better term).

So if the moderator section is working, how can sticking a brake on the end do anything functional to reduce recoil.

As I say, I'm open to persuasion but at the moment I'm sceptical. If anyone knows of good data (not marketing/company propaganda) supporting this please share.

21 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

I have just looked at these and honestly don’t understand the niche. 

Every silencer I have used decreased recoil really well and the noise attenuation is an overwhelming improvement. 

However on a range I will always wear ear protection so a silencer or dedicated brake is a mute point. 

@lee w 118  how much are they? Jacksons are the distributors so if any one really wants one and has an old silencer they distribute they offer a trade in. 

Scotch i think they are just under £380 , so not the cheapest! Probably not the quietest either.  I doubt  if what ever im shooting will tell the difference either?😂

22 minutes ago, lee w 118 said:

Scotch i think they are just under £380 , so not the cheapest! Probably not the quietest either.  I doubt  if what ever im shooting will tell the difference either?😂

I don’t care about the noise reduction so much. Much more interested in the recoil impulse and if it actually is better than a moderator. Very curious what you think. Thx

I think the only way you could compare this Can is to get it side by side with same calibre in two rifles , same weight, of gun, bullet weight.  Put a camera on the two rifles and pull the trigger Dave, see which one recoils up ,down left and right and up and down. If you have any of your own made Brakes im willing to bring it up and you can test the Atec against your Brake Dave 6mm or 6.5 let me no by pm Dave , cheers Lee👍

Love to lee, but its not gonna happen anytime soon is it ?

I like the look of  it, and will get one myself to try. It isn't going to be as efficient as a brake I suspect.

I've used a lot of A-tecs and ASE's over the years, and always rated them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...