casting / swaging airgun slugs

Aggy

Has anyone any experience either casting or swaging air gun slugs ,I have two fx impacts one of which will be going on my fac it currently has a 700mm smooth twist x barrel that should be suitable for slugs and I have asked for a .30 cal barrel that should be capable in excess of 100 ftlb so pellets wouldn’t be the best choice .

Many years ago, i had a bullet mould called a LEM spitzer. It made a bullet shaped slug with a hole in the back. Weighed about 25-30 grains I believe. Made in blackpool if I remember right. Might be worth an eagle bay search ?

There is a guy on YouTube using a swaging die ,basically drop in a chopped section of lead wire into the hole in the die then force it in with a micro adjustable plunger .

length/ weight adjustable and also,v expensive to set up ,the idea of being able to take 300 + yards shots on paper with an airgun appeals to me  

Some folks cast then sewage to size/compress and voids

Swaged billets are nice but can be expensive to set up for

think being 30 cal you can have a turned mold made, do you want/need a skirt on the bullet? BACo could turn you up a mold if you told them what you wanted

This is interesting stuff 😎. What weight are you looking. Is it a true 30 cal ie 308, if so you could cast then stage to size using the simple but effective Lee sizer.

be good to see your progress/results

T

They are available from 43 to 65 grn and the gun should be good to throw them at around 1000 fps .there should be no need to have a skirted pellet at all with these 

Hi Aggy. I swage air gun slugs, but only in .22. The lightest I can make is about 22g depends on the base shape. I also make .177 pellets but not the Diablo/waisted type Or slugs, they are more like a hand gun shape of lead bullet. I think air guns in general ( Barrel length, twist and especially speed of bullet) Are closer to hand guns than riffles. Air guns are now light years ahead of my old Sharp innova, BSA Airsporter. If you want PM me about swaging. 

7E1EBB61-7EF6-4EEC-B6F0-D57F88D01EC6.jpeg

07524E73-A44E-44F9-9856-4E5E67259AB1.jpeg

23 hours ago, baldie said:

Many years ago, i had a bullet mould called a LEM spitzer. It made a bullet shaped slug with a hole in the back. Weighed about 25-30 grains I believe. Made in blackpool if I remember right. Might be worth an eagle bay search ?

You mean one of these... albeit a .20 version.

LEM Mould.jpg

On 8/28/2020 at 5:24 PM, 17 squirrel said:

Hi Aggy. I swage air gun slugs, but only in .22. The lightest I can make is about 22g depends on the base shape. I also make .177 pellets but not the Diablo/waisted type Or slugs, they are more like a hand gun shape of lead bullet. I think air guns in general ( Barrel length, twist and especially speed of bullet) Are closer to hand guns than riffles. Air guns are now light years ahead of my old Sharp innova, BSA Airsporter. If you want PM me about swaging. 

7E1EBB61-7EF6-4EEC-B6F0-D57F88D01EC6.jpeg

07524E73-A44E-44F9-9856-4E5E67259AB1.jpeg

I agree' I have two Corbin swaging presses and this looks a lot like mine. Where did you get the dies from?

22 hours ago, Aggy said:

What does the finished round lock like 

I had a look for some bullets I might have cast, but couldn't find any. I haven't used it in 20-30 years, so it's not surprising.

As to what they look like, a pointed spitzer with a short amount of bearing surface at the rear and a slight waist at the very rear. The base has a slight conical hollow.

A lockdown project I took on was to get this Corbin Hydraulic swager up and running that was a legacy from a friend. After a lot of work, it is now operational, and I even got a trolley stand made so I can move it around the garage. Having got it all sorted, I don’t know what I’m going to do with it though! 🤣

791E963A-1F67-4365-BFE4-85A0737D0B3E.thumb.jpeg.a3b0f39dfaa673a33956cf2fe78455d0.jpeg

I’ve now swaged bullets from all of the die sets, including a nifty set that allow you to make .224 bullets using a jacket swaged from a fired .22LR case. Here is a picture of some .454 bullets swaged in round nose and semi wadcutter, one with a hollow base.
330ABB42-5656-4905-9DDE-B43E0E97DB54.thumb.jpeg.06be3f723e883656041b8c57fa554289.jpegE370E3EE-A0D9-4D63-BD2A-90E79BE7FAD3.thumb.jpeg.201f8404fda72ae5ccdfa7350828e8c4.jpeg

If you contact Dave Corbin directly, he will tell you exactly what is/isn’t possible in terms of swaging, and the best way to go about it. He really is a nice bloke and I wouldn’t have been able to get the swager running without his help.

The corbin set up looks like it has been perfected over the years and is producing some very good results. 

I have a variation in at the moment as soon as it lands I can start some testing 

Yes it is a Corbin set up. The first Swaging set up I brought Was in the late 80s. It was, Mighty Mite press, a four die set to make open and lead tip bullets in .224. A derim die to make jackets from fired .22 rimfire cases, also one to make them into .243 Jackets, 1000  j4 jackets In .224 all for the sum of $769.00. I don’t think that would get you a press now. Dave Corbin used to make what he called Pro Swage dies to fit standard reloading presses which made lead bullets. Might be worth a look. The die I use is a corbin one. The minimal bearing surface on small caliber lead bullets, I found made them very hard to get to shoot accurately. I got much better results with semi wad cutter type What I would call pistol bullets. I got those shooting really well.  That was all sub 12 ft/lb break barrel though. New pcp air rifles a capable of so much more. Phone Dave Corbin and have a word with him, he’s a good guy to talk to and is very knowledgeable in all things bullet. 

On 8/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, BlueBoy69 said:

You mean one of these... albeit a .20 version.

LEM Mould.jpg

Thats the one !

Ive just realised too, I was messing about melting lead in an old pellet tin, nailed to the shed door Jamb, 45 years ago....

A friend accidentendatly shot me in the wrist with one of these pellets, it penetrated 2" and lodged in the bones at the wrist. They sure did penetrate.