A small insight to what we do.

Just now, Popsbengo said:

How do you level the sub base?  Will you machine it in situ or is it levelled by adjustment of packing ?

The subplate is precision ground, so it will sit pretty true with the exisiting table. I’ll dial it in with the mill axis’. It may require re-leveling or adjustment of the spindle to make it perfectly true. I’ll carry out various measurements to check it all. 

6 minutes ago, JR FIREARMS said:

The subplate is precision ground, so it will sit pretty true with the exisiting table. I’ll dial it in with the mill axis’. It may require re-leveling or adjustment of the spindle to make it perfectly true. I’ll carry out various measurements to check it all. 

I've set up quite a few machining centres back in the day but that was many years ago now (+25).  All good clean fun !  

14 hours ago, JR FIREARMS said:

The subplate torqued down and dialed in, also the tool offsets re-established. It will soon be ready for trial runs of barrel fluting. Slow progress between jobs. 

2B80F2F4-3F43-4EB2-954A-D5EE6AD0FECB.jpeg

Nice bit of kit.  What control is it - Fanuc? Is that a true rotary axis or an indexing dividing head?

14 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Nice bit of kit.  What control is it - Fanuc? Is that a true rotary axis or an indexing dividing head?

It’s a Haas VF0E, it runs Haas’ own control but essentially uses Fanuc code. Yes it’s a true 4th axis, so full 4 axis wrapped toolpath capable. 

31 minutes ago, JR FIREARMS said:

It’s a Haas VF0E, it runs Haas’ own control but essentially uses Fanuc code. Yes it’s a true 4th axis, so full 4 axis wrapped toolpath capable. 

Excellent.  Kit's come a long way from my first CNC - a three axis Beaver with Siemens S5 and a Hurth gear B axis. 

• 4 weeks later...

Some may consider this a waste of time but it’s quite popular. It’s a tactical bolt conversion for RH Tikka T3/T3X’s. Obviously you can buy replacements that are normally a DIY fit, but some customers don’t like the straight aftermarket handles, or the fact they are usually a bit too long and spindly. And occasionally are a poor fit. 

I modify the original handle to accept one of my in-house made bolt knobs, and turn it to have a smooth transition. The end result is an improved handle with an OE look. It’s a bit more work but many customers prefer it, and i feel it looks a little nicer and unique. 

CFBAB260-DE3A-4D8B-AB9C-0592ACB5E2AB.jpeg

2434F7DD-E502-4611-BCF9-CB403A16A5F8.jpeg