Rust pitting or whats the cause

Lloyd

This is my tikka t3 tac a1 in .223  after about 300 rounds down the tube its a 16 months old... To say in disgusted to have found it is an understatement. The rifle only left the house about 5 times and was cleaned regularly. The gun has now been sent back to the supplier for warranty but am skeptical on to whats going to happen.. the pitting starts at the chamber and disappears as you get to about 4 - 6 inches from the crown.. anyone have any ideas to what might be causing it? i have a sako trg in the same safe with no issues and its fired about 3000 rounds i know the trg is chrome lined.

IMG-20200609-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200609-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20200609-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200609-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20200609-WA0007.jpg

My mate bought a new tikka tactical 223 a couple of years ago and its pitted in places as well. 

The chrome moly barrels on sako and tikka rifles seem to be prone to this.

He also has a trg with the chrome moly barrel that is pitted as well.

I have an older trg that came with the stainless barrel and it's still perfect. 

Also the trg barrels are not chrome lined. It's only an internet rumour.  

Blimey that's bad 😱

What ammo you used?

Also palo is correct - no chrome lining on a TRG

I wondered if you had shot any corrosive primers - clearly not.

Best of luck with the warranty return

On 6/15/2020 at 8:19 AM, Lloyd said:

My thought was on corrosive primers but no, so perhaps a few patches of JB Compound and see what happens. If they warranty this great.

Best wishes for good shooting.

6 hours ago, rangerunner said:

I know it looks terrible and I hope they sort the rifle to your satisfaction.

Out of interest, how does it shoot? 

Haven't shot the gun longer ranges so dont know and haven't really done much with it since December last 

14 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

One theory i have heard is light forms in the barrel and if you don't clean it before firing it will rip out the rust when the bullet passes and cause pitting. 

Anyone heard this before?

Light forms?  Do you mean light rust forms?  If so, it shouldn't

Isn't Sweets ammonia based?  This may have something to do with the pitting - it's got a bad rep. for the very problem you have

The problem is getting it all out when you're done.

There are plenty of way better products

13 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

13 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Isn't Sweets ammonia based?  This may have something to do with the pitting - it's got a bad rep. for the very problem you have

I use it in the 308 aswell with no issues... maybe the steel is better in it I'm switching over to bore tech or what would you recommend?

Wipe Out Patch-Out is excellent as is Wipe-Out Tactical Advantage.  The dogs doodahs IMHO

Bore Tech and KG products are good too.

8 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Wipe Out Patch-Out is excellent as is Wipe-Out Tactical Advantage.  The dogs doodahs IMHO

Bore Tech and KG products are good too.

If it was the sweets that did it surely it would be throughout the entire barrel? 

4 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

If it was the sweets that did it surely it would be throughout the entire barrel? 

I have used Sweets for years and zero pitting or other issues, I am extremely careful to purge the bore of it before storing the rifle.

Mostly I use what ever gun oil at hand to purge the Sweets. If possible I flood the bore with a saturated swab then patches with yet more oil.

Probably doe this for 20 mins to ensure all residue is gone , hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

Yes ammonia based as is Montana Extreme 50BMG copper killer, I use both with zero issues. However when I finally run out 

Bore Tech is my choice. My sole reason to change is the smell of Sweets and Montana Extreme. Would firing strip rust and make pitting?

I wonder, my natural skeptic is engaged on that idea. Never have fired a shot through a rusted bore seemed a poor idea, and the one rusted bore that was purchased by a friend we cleaned with extreme vigor to remove the "furry rust coat" before firing. This was a Swedish Mauser

M-94 infantry model likely shot with corrosive ammo and ignored before we rescued it from a pawn shop, zero pitting in that bore and I cant explain why not. This is one topic that makes my brain itch. My barrels are Savage, Shilen, Ruger,  Husqvarna, Brno, CZ, Rock Island,  Eddystone,  Springfield (USG version) Smith Corona. None of these pitted after Sweets or Montana Extreme, I don't think the barrel steel differs a huge amount and one of these bores was pre pitted from corrosive GI Ball in service. Best wishes for good shooting.