7mm - 300 win mag dream build

Right folks,

I am looking at having this rifle for long distance work, wanting to get the golden mile, been working on it with the .260 but have decided to go 7mm and looking at the 7mm-300 win mag or maybe the 7mm rem mag (not sure).

What build would you go for, I suppose I could go Accuracy International again, (I like the chassis systems)  you know what your getting, but other options are there?

Also which Scope and mounts (options)

Most of my shooting is on private land or Orion, I don't do F-class or spend days at the ranges, so not into F-class target rifle builds if you know what I mean!

Look forward to hearing what option there are

Budget, there isn't one really, last rifle I am buying so it will be a good one.

7mm magnums will get to that distance easily 

I have shot and built several permutations of 7RM, 7WSM , 7mm/300 Wsm etc and been reasonably competitive 

I would look at single shot action in chassis - you don’t need a repeater as most of you time will be spent settling before release of the shot 

Barnard P would be my choice of action or a Borden Rimrock in a alloy or carbon chassis (there are numerous ) or in a suitable conventional stock 

Bartlein or Benchmark / Brux / Krieger/ International / barrel

Go from there 

RAW,

Not sure I'd go with a belted magnum, nothing wrong with them if you have the right tools and ignore the anecdotal stuff on the InterWeb 😉

I had a 7MM SAUM which is just about spot on IMHO with 180g bullets - 1 mile no issues, not wasting powder and a little kinder on barrels ('a little').

I'd buck the trend, chassis are so 'yesterday' and everyone using them 😄 (and please no camo ).

Barrels as per Ronin - any of the known brands which are available and off the shelf.

Good fun to put something together with a 'target' use.

Mind you there are factory rifles in cartridges like the 300 PRC now which will be easier to spot at distance - something to think on?

T

Take a look at the 7mm Practical, designed by Nathan Foster.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Practical.html

Just about the limit of effective/efficient case to bore ratio.

Cases formed from .300wm, reamers through Mason. Reach out to Nathan on his forum, he’s a really nice guy and is happy to help in any way!

Anything based on a win mag case would be my absolute last choice. 

There is a truckload of 7mm variants out there, without resorting to a case with win mag problems.

7 Rsaum is a cracker. I've built plenty of them, and its more than capable.

Not considered a .30 cal ?

the .300 Norma is stupidly accurate, and huge bullet choice.

My own , built on an AXMC hit 4 tennis balls in a row at 1000, in the first match I shot with it...and it was windy...

19 hours ago, Ronin said:

7mm magnums will get to that distance easily 

I have shot and built several permutations of 7RM, 7WSM , 7mm/300 Wsm etc and been reasonably competitive 

I would look at single shot action in chassis - you don’t need a repeater as most of you time will be spent settling before release of the shot 

Barnard P would be my choice of action or a Borden Rimrock in a alloy or carbon chassis (there are numerous ) or in a suitable conventional stock 

Bartlein or Benchmark / Brux / Krieger/ International / barrel

Go from there 

Thankyou for that, never considered a single shot and after abit of google research it seems to be what the top boys are using, thought it might look abit daft on a chassis system with magazine housing though or maybe I am missing something.

18 hours ago, srvet said:

Nice sounding project - have you considered 300 Norma??

Never considered it, was just thinking 7mm the way to go but will take a look as I say this is the early stages and everyone has their take on it. Will definately consider it and do abit of research.

13 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Take a look at the 7mm Practical, designed by Nathan Foster.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Practical.html

Just about the limit of effective/efficient case to bore ratio.

Cases formed from .300wm, reamers through Mason. Reach out to Nathan on his forum, he’s a really nice guy and is happy to help in any way!

Thanks catch -22 will take a look at this, cheers

18 hours ago, terryh said:

RAW,

Not sure I'd go with a belted magnum, nothing wrong with them if you have the right tools and ignore the anecdotal stuff on the InterWeb 😉

I had a 7MM SAUM which is just about spot on IMHO with 180g bullets - 1 mile no issues, not wasting powder and a little kinder on barrels ('a little').

I'd buck the trend, chassis are so 'yesterday' and everyone using them 😄 (and please no camo ).

Barrels as per Ronin - any of the known brands which are available and off the shelf.

Good fun to put something together with a 'target' use.

Mind you there are factory rifles in cartridges like the 300 PRC now which will be easier to spot at distance - something to think on?

T

Okay I have heard about the belted magnum so maybe rule of 7mm rem magnum, I will take a look at the SAUM though. I quite like the look of chassis just simple and effective, I have my hunting rifles in mcmillan stocks so nice to have a change with the chassis easier to dry out and clean if get soaked.

5 hours ago, baldie said:

Anything based on a win mag case would be my absolute last choice. 

There is a truckload of 7mm variants out there, without resorting to a case with win mag problems.

7 Rsaum is a cracker. I've built plenty of them, and its more than capable.

Not considered a .30 cal ?

the .300 Norma is stupidly accurate, and huge bullet choice.

My own , built on an AXMC hit 4 tennis balls in a row at 1000, in the first match I shot with it...and it was windy...

Thanks, will look at the 300 norma and the 7mm saum.

My take would be if you are looking at shooting to a mile - you will most likely be tempted to go further and kick yourself for not speccing a rifle accordingly 

(I am assuming you may wish to shoot competitively in ELR at some stage during my thought process)

If I am wrong revert to my first post

If not I’d lol at 338 and larger calibre (375-416) for example in a suitable stock (McMillan ELR or Manners perhaps) with Barnard P / Bat single shot action (Borden don’t go larger than standard magnum case otherwise I’d recommend them too)

suitable long barrel then take a deep deep breath and save for a scope and mount capable of hovering you the elevation to get that far accurately

if you have really deep pockets you could look at the March Genesis optic

Lathe turned solids, gain twist barrel and some spotting optics too 

Not much change out of 15k for something that would be competitive ,,,, 

Well I guess if I manage the mi

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

My take would be if you are looking at shooting to a mile - you will most likely be tempted to go further and kick yourself for not speccing a rifle accordingly 

(I am assuming you may wish to shoot competitively in ELR at some stage during my thought process)

If I am wrong revert to my first post

If not I’d lol at 338 and larger calibre (375-416) for example in a suitable stock (McMillan ELR or Manners perhaps) with Barnard P / Bat single shot action (Borden don’t go larger than standard magnum case otherwise I’d recommend them too)

suitable long barrel then take a deep deep breath and save for a scope and mount capable of hovering you the elevation to get that far accurately

if you have really deep pockets you could look at the March Genesis optic

Lathe turned solids, gain twist barrel and some spotting optics too 

Not much change out of 15k for something that would be competitive ,,,, 

I guess if I get a mile I may want to go further but its probably unlikely due to access to these areas but who knows, nice to have that capability. I think 338 abit over kill, for my land use.

300NM is about the same ballistics as the 338 Lapua, as Baldie says, extremely accurate round, simple to load for, huge selection of bullets: nice review here with some numbers:  http://www.accuracy1stdg.com/content/docs/binder7.pdf

I have a rifle based on this cartridge - love it 😎

2 hours ago, RAW said:

Thanks catch -22 will take a look at this, cheers

Okay I have heard about the belted magnum so maybe rule of 7mm rem magnum, I will take a look at the SAUM though. I quite like the look of chassis just simple and effective, I have my hunting rifles in mcmillan stocks so nice to have a change with the chassis easier to dry out and clean if get soaked.

Nothing wrong with a belted Magnum...if done right. Traditionally the belt was there for head spacing, but modern reamer designs that use belted Magnum cases (like Nathan’s 7mm Practical) now headspace off the datum line on the shoulder, like any modern case. So no issues at all.

I like the big magnums, owning a .338 Norma Magnum myself. They’re great fun. But beware the big cases that shoot a 7mm or 30cal bullet, they will strip your barrel out in a very short time. If you shoot 100 rounds over the course of a day at the range, bank on going to the range only 10 or 15 times before it’s off for a rebarrel! Several years ago I decided not to go the 300NM route but stick with the .338NM parent case. I should be good for at least 3000 rounds, roughly double that of the 300NM. 

Reading that article, particularly on the "gunsmith" tips on reaming, tell me all I need to know.

A guy rang today, wanting one building.

i turned him down flat.....

9 hours ago, Ronin said:

Good news- Borden has just released a .338 lapua-faced action which is similar in many respects to the superb BRLXD action (with a slightly fatter bolt), and I understand there is a (much) bigger cheytac action on the way. 

Something for me to consider then should I do an ELR build 

May as well jump on the bandwagon