Gun retailers deemed 'essential service' by federal government

miki

2 hours ago, gazzarM1 said:

<snip>

All of the many shooting friends I have over there ,some serving Law enforcement officers and a couple ex military think our laws here are mental....who would disagree ? 

Mental is perhaps not the right word, our gun laws are born from large commitees who have been 'advised ' by a large number of human behaviourist experts in the Health and Safety field. Most of the commitees that do decide these things are politicians, most of those are 'Arts graduates'. The 'old school' Lords were country house owners and/or retired army officers. These Ruperts didn't really know which was was up and the Arty types hated them .... 

It is unfortunate that the Shooting Organisations (BASC, SACS, SGA etc) are unable to effect or divert the course of these law making committees primarily because they aren't political activists or even art students themselves, they are farmers, land management technicians, journalists and the odd sportsman who 'have a go' but don't really succeed. Fluffy Bunnies, Bambi and Foxy-woxy have rights too you know.....

A typical example of the dissability for the Shooting Orgs to change anything is the recent "medial form" debacle, this also ties in with my previous post where i mentioned rising number of 'conditions' = rising costs. If you don't understand the process that are going on read this ... [LINKY]

The rules and restrictions in regards to Moderators is difficult to justify (IMO), classing a moderator as a firearm is bordering on madness. If that was scrapped it would reduce the paperwork significantly which in turn would reduce firearm policing costs and the cost of moderators themselves. I can buy a washing machine for less than the cost of some moderators and if I threw an Bosch at someone it would hurt a lot more than a Predator 12   😲

5 hours ago, miki said:

........Most of the commitees that do decide these things are politicians, most of those are 'Arts graduates'. The 'old school' Lords were country house owners and/or retired army officers. These Ruperts didn't really know which was was up and the Arty types hated them ...

Quite amused by the start there, then you lost me..... but the start chimed with a chat I was having about our parliament of never-had-a-real-job-but-enjoyed-debating-society-at-uni politicians. A pal of mine, an NHS consultant in London, was giving his thoughts on the Covid decision-making capacity of the PM & Cabinet:

""People with science degrees should run the world.

People with arts degrees should just be allowed to paint it.

And they certainly shouldn't be responsible for making any fuqking  decisions."

5 minutes ago, brown dog said:

He's not wrong   :):):)

5 minutes ago, brown dog said:

Quite amused by the start there, then you lost me..... but the start chimed with a chat I was having about our parliament of never-had-a-real-job-but-enjoyed-debating-society-at-uni politicians. A pal of mine, an NHS consultant in London, was giving his thoughts on the Covid decision-making capacity of the PM & Cabinet:

Not always the case.  Merkel has a  degree in quantum chemistry.  She bullied Europe into allowing in millions of economic refugees to come to Germany, France and Sweden from Africa and Middle East with untold consequences for European culture.  I don't think that demonstrated good judgement.   She did demonstrate good judgement regarding CV19 decision making and saved many lives (or delayed many earlier deaths dependant on how we look at it).  Some you win.....

My conclusion is politics is a messy game with no wholly right or wrong answers.  Politicians are strange creatures, massive egos but often with high ideals.  Many are corrupt in petty and, for some, major matters.  At least we get to choose the least worst (in our personal opinions) - don't know what the answer is beyond carry on messing through?

On 4/22/2020 at 2:36 AM, maximus otter said:

"At least four states in the U.S. have started to release inmates from their jails to protect vulnerable inmates as coronavirus infections have begun to appear from within."

https://www.foxnews.com/health/us-starts-release-inmates-coronavirus

"The Seattle coronavirus crime data is staggeringly high. As of Friday April 3, burglary cases were up 87% over the previous 28 days..."

https://mynorthwest.com/1802378/rantz-seattle-crime-up-after-coronavirus/

maximus otter

Panic buying is rather stupid no matter the item, if I lived in some location where crime was high and I was worried the police would fail or decide not to respond (virus protocols) I might buy a gun if I didn't have one. However in area small town in the middle of nothing we have zero issues with mobs or unrest, burglary ect. Many here have concealed carry permits and do carry a side arm. Within the border of my state we can carry a sidearm with no permit, or if we wish openly carry the firearm of choice with some  restrictions, govt offices, bar aka pub, post office , schools ect. Poor behavior like criminal activity is predicate of a lack of morals in the wrong doer.

6 hours ago, KABOOM said:

Poor behavior like criminal activity is predicate of a lack of morals in the wrong doer.

Morals ? For sure many criminals are immoral and deserve retribution but what about other factors like extreme poverty, or desperation, or social pressure or mental illness?

eg.  I'm not sure me shooting dead a desperate person for stealing some food would be a moral act on my behalf.

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

Morals ? For sure many criminals are immoral and deserve retribution but what about other factors like extreme poverty, or desperation, or social pressure or mental illness?

eg.  I'm not sure me shooting dead a desperate person for stealing some food would be a moral act on my behalf.

I did 30 years in the UK police, 23½ of them out on the cobbles as a uniformed beat officer. I very rarely dealt with anyone who stole food or drink, other than for resale, or luxury food/drink items for their own consumption. Theft of beans, cornflakes, cheese etc. (the kind of stuff included in food bank parcels)? Close to zero.

I would argue that genuine poverty, let alone extreme poverty, doesn't exist in the UK. There are, however, a lot of people who consistently make poor choices...

maximus otter

8 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

I would agree, without a direct threat to life there is no reason to shoot anyone. 

2 minutes ago, KABOOM said:

I would agree, without a direct threat to life there is no reason to shoot anyone. 

👍

11 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

👍

Just as general information I chose this forum to join partly based on the civility of the members. Far to many other forums I saw the discussions start with some minor point of non agreement and shortly become personal attacks and nonsense.

9 minutes ago, KABOOM said:

Just as general information I chose this forum to join partly based on the civility of the members. Far to many other forums I saw the discussions start with some minor point of non agreement and shortly become personal attacks and nonsense.

👍😊

57 minutes ago, KABOOM said:

Without a doubt how we would like it to remain, difference of opinions put over in a civil manner - as you would (I hope) amongst friends in the pub or over dinner👌😎