Fire Arms licence question

lee w 118

30 minutes ago, baldie said:

All forces should grant the bore size only eg 6mm etc. They dont. 

Some do however, mine being an example.

You usually get bore size back when you apply for something, not on the computer.

My 6mmAR was granted, and is listed as a 6mm.

I agree.  That was what I was getting at in my earlier post about making a rod for our own backs - don't feel you must give the FEO chapter and verse about the exact cartridge - give them what they ask for - calibre (as meles-meles pointed out).  If they insist on more information then so be it - just don't jump the gun (awful pun intended).

Having said that, I had a recent discussion regarding an application for a .30 Calibre  - he wanted to know if that was to be 30-06 or 300 Win Mag  - both 30cal but very different I think we could all agree.

20 hours ago, lapua said:

If you have 22-250 AI on your ticket for rifle and ammo how are you going to be able to fireform your first lot of brass. Holding plain 22-250 would surely be illegal?

I dont have a 22-250 Al on me ticket, i have 22BR, im having a 22BR AL new stick 😁

On 11/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, baldie said:

All forces should grant the bore size only eg 6mm etc. They dont. 

Some do however, mine being an example.

You usually get bore size back when you apply for something, not on the computer.

My 6mmAR was granted, and is listed as a 6mm.

This is how you'd think it should be.

However, the police asked to design the application forms way back and put down 'Calibre' when they meant 'Cartridge Size'. For a while some got away with putting '.30cal' and having the luxury of deciding upon what .30cal chambering they would like when in the shop. I've done this and so have a few others, and I believe there is case law which supports this.

Finally the powers that be finally realised they had messed up on the forms and that is why the new guidance states that a broad calibre choice on the authority to acquire should be avoided whenever possible and specific cartridge sizes used instead.