Here's one Neil made earlier

Elwood

Neil being Dasherman

Well some of you may remember earlier on this year, I decided to have a rifle put together and all the parts had to be sourced by myself, with the exception on the action as I don’t do paper work! Never the less I still had fair amount of input.

All the component parts I researched myself with the help of a few of you guys, along with Dick Davies and Ryan Melancon from McMillan who were both extremely helpful and patient with me, and of course not to forget Neil who put the rifle together, Neils customer service was top notch from start to finish. The rifle was to be a stalking rifle in 6.5x47 cal and a maximum weight of 11.5 lbs scoped.

So what problems did I encounter? Only one, but one that cost me a lot of money. The problem in question was the bolt, Surgeon had to recall the bolt from my repeater action as it had failed a metallurgical test. I was told that all cost would be incurred by Surgeon, unfortunately the exporter saw a great big $ sign and decided to treble his handling charges to get the bolt and action to the UK, it would seem that just about everybody who even looked at my action decided to have a piece of the pie. I ordered a Jewell trigger with the action direct from Surgeon, I was hoping that basically that by going it alone I would be getting the trigger for nowt, I actually ended up paying well over the top, I would urge anyone else to use SYSS because the prices that Roger quoted me are very hard to beat and I got no where near his price!

But it’s not all bad news, I did get a rather nice base ball cap from Surgeon, which I shall cherish, mainly due to the fact that it cost me approx £200! It wasn’t Surgeons fault, that which promotes growth and vigour happens I guess.

The barrel is from Bartlein and was shipped as a blank. It’s a 1-8.5 twist, 26 inches long and a Remington Varmint contour and threaded 18x1 for a CMM sound moderator (sorry Neil I didn’t get it right first time) Frank from Bartlein is very easy to deal with, he said it would be eight weeks lead time and he was true to his word, I have now ordered a second barrel from them. The barrel is chambered for 123 Scenars in 6.5x47.

The stock is a McMillan adjustable HTG, I have always liked these and they make a very good platform for either a sporting rifle or a tactical. After several emails and phone calls to both Ryan Melancon and Dick Davies I settled on 50% olive 25% black and 25% medium tan. I must add that Dick Davies had quite a bit more influence than just the stock and the colours, he went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out, a top man.

I chose a Badger Ordinance bottom metal after reading so much about them, but what I really wanted was a Seekins bottom metal that has a button as a magazine release, but as I had already had the stock inletted for a Badger and the fact that Seekins bottom metal will not accept a AI mag I opted for the Badger. The magazine release for the Badger concerned me for use as a stalking rifle which is when I started to look too see if there were any other options, as luck would have it Surgeon had just released their first bottom metal and apparently the inlet wasn’t much different to the Badger system, Neil might say otherwise though! So I sold the Badger and bought a Surgeon.

The last piece of the jigsaw was to get it Durocoated, James has done an awesome job of painting the barrel and action and matching the olive in the stock, all in all I’m chuffed to bits.

Would I do it again? Hell yes.

Specifications

Surgeon repeater short action

Bartlein 1-8.5 twist 26-inch varmint contour threaded 18x1

McMillan ADJ HTG

Surgeon bottom metal

Jewell trigger

Seekin mounts

Night force 5.5-25x56 NXS

Total weight 12.4 lbs

1.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

PICT0040.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

A very expensive hat !

PICT0046.jpg

A very smart rifle Ian. I hope it shoots as well as it looks for you.

Mind you with Neil behind the build you should have no problems.

Let us know what its like on paper.

Fair play that baseball hat is smart.

Cheers

Dave

That is a N I C E rifle!! ;) I think you have got the mix between tactical/sporting absolutely spot on! :D VERY jealous! :)

If you don't mind me asking - what was the end price? And what could it have cost if you know what you now know?

Seriously - the best looking gun for a long while! You should be well proud! ;)

A beautiful gun indeed buddy.

It isn,t only you that gets grief though :) there are STILL around 70 actions sat in the secure pound in the states. more bloody paperwork. Should [fingers crossed] leave in the next day or so.

10 months after paying for 50 lawtons, they informed us yesterday, they were gonna start on them ......

Anyone got any valium ?

The bottom metal is nice, and suits the whole gun/build....a very nice job full stop.

Very elegant looking gun in the HTG stock.

Nice colour scheme - did James leave the bolt body alone or is it in another colour?

Seekins rings look pretty good, my guess is this will be a shooter, I have a decent load for the 123grainers but its a mite hot, let me know if you want to try it...

:);):D

Very elegant looking gun in the HTG stock.

Nice colour scheme - did James leave the bolt body alone or is it in another colour?

Seekins rings look pretty good, my guess is this will be a shooter, I have a decent load for the 123grainers but its a mite hot, let me know if you want to try it...

:);):D

Pass over the recipe Andy, I have just fired up my chargemaster.

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Now lets see if I can answer a few questions

Irish guy, I went for the 6.5x47 because it's balistically better than a .308, it's new, it's different, it's accurate and it's Lapua. As yet I haven't run any 123 Scenars through it yet, I hope to rectify that this weekend.

I have done a bit of load testing with 120 Amax with promising results, but typically I have virtually run out of RL15. What I really need to get hold off are some Sierra 120 grain heads as these are what I will use on deer, I know several people that have used them to good effect.

Oly I will tell you that it should have cost £2300 but as you already know it didn't.

Andy James left the bolt body alone I think! I do like the Seekin rings but I'd rather they used the Badger system for locking onto the rail.

Dave I share your frustrations, one of those actions hopefully has my name on it.

Initial load development.

PICT0048.jpg

Nice rifle Elwood and quality build ,will have to look up Dasherman one day for a project.Seems a few guys down here in Cornwall have had builds done by the same guy.Saw a barnard action today which he did with a 31 inch bartlein chambered in 6.5/47--awsome work!

Have a 6.5/47 with a 27 kreiger set up with 120 Amax and 37.5 RL15,groups like yours and they dont get much bigger out to 300 on this load I can tell you.RG Rifles did my build another smith that knows what hes doin!!Enjoy your rifle Onehole.

How did you get on at the range Ian?

It went ok I suppose Andy. 38, 38.5 and 39 all gave groups measuring 0.6ish three shot groups at 100 yards with no pressure signs so I might step it up a little by .2 grain increments and then play around with seating depths.

Ian, That was one of the best write ups for a while,,, Very interesting!!!

And #### me that rifle is nearly as good as ronnins motive e-mails that he sends to me from time to time????? :lol::lol:

Ask him what i mean?? as i am sure that he will send you one :lol:

Ian, That check will be incoming this week my mate,,,,,,

That is bloody nice,,,,

Take care my mate,, F2n

Thats motivational posters to those who are wondering, very funny, anyone want them forwarding let me know.

Dont know how to post them here from an e-mail..

Ian

the groups sound good, bit of fine tuning perhaps and the barrel wont be run in yet anyway.

However, looking at your previous target using RL15, it appears that this is the better powder than Varget for this rifle?

We found that the 123's like to be seated .010" off the lands and sized with a -.002" bushing die, so neck tension is low.

Did I mention match primers..

Archived