300 Norma Magnum

John MH

It's not a typo..I found quickload to be way off. Dangerously off i'm. glad I went with user recommendations and started at about 82 grains and worked my way up. The highest I went up was 86grains and got stiff bolt lift. The speeds are measured using a magneto speed. I can assure you it's not a typo. I wouldn't rely on quickload. Hence why I always ask people what their loads are and how they are performing. Quickload is way off with rs powders. With vihit it was odd by 1 to200fps etc . I dont trust it with rs powders 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, shooter83 said:

It's not a typo..I found quickload to be way off. Dangerously off i'm. glad I went with user recommendations and started at about 82 grains and worked my way up. The highest I went up was 86grains and got stiff bolt lift. The speeds are measured using a magneto speed. I can assure you it's not a typo. I wouldn't rely on quickload. Hence why I always ask people what their loads are and how they are performing. Quickload is way off with rs powders. With vihit it was odd by 1 to200fps etc . I dont trust it with rs powders 

Just used Geoffrey Kolbe's ballistic app;   guess what - 2768fps with the same data inputted.

I suppose he could just be wrong too ?

I'd take your load data with a pinch of salt unless someone else has similar performance to report.  If it were me, I'd check the calibration of my scales.

13 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Just used Geoffrey Kolbe's ballistic app;   guess what - 2768fps with the same data inputted.

I suppose he could just be wrong to ?

I'd take your load data with a pinch of salt unless someone else has similar performance to report.  If it were me, I'd check the calibration of my scales.

I'm using a rcbs charge master. Getting good consistent results with rs50 with me .308. use the same scales for all me other cartridges that I have reloaded. The magneto speed was used to load develop for the .308 with both rs50 and n140. Never had an issue. I did think it was quite fast at that powder charge. 

I went with someone else's recommendations on power charge for same powder and bullet. They are using 86grains and getting 3000fps plus 

In any case when it comes to shooting. Whate ever works. Every rifle setup is going to be different. Each to their own.. the fella asked a question. I was happy to share my info as others did theirs. Which I used when load developing. Thanks for your questions Mr popsbengo. Good luck  

21 minutes ago, shooter83 said:

I'm using a rcbs charge master. Getting good consistent results with rs50 with me .308. use the same scales for all me other cartridges that I have reloaded. The magneto speed was used to load develop for the .308 with both rs50 and n140 at the same time. Never had an issue. I did think it was quite fast at that powder charge. 

I went with someone else's recommendations on power charge for same powder and bullet. They are using 86grains and getting 3000fps plus 

On 10/19/2018 at 5:56 PM, John MH said:

Anyone have any experience loading for this cartridge?

I have Lapua cases, Russian Standard LRP and Magnum LRPs, 200 to 225 grain bullets and RS70 ready to assemble and am looking for a load to shoot between 1200 and 2000 yards from a 30" 1 in 8 twist barrel.

Chat to Pete at MME

he builds a lot of bullets

has a 300 NM built by Valkyrie 

was talking to him at Bisley yesterday about such stuff

formerly an analytical chemist and a really nice bloke

j