John MH

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, terryh said:

John,

The 1st round hit on the deer at 1140 yards was impressive - big smiles. The custom curve for AB seems to work very well as elevations at all distances were spot on - wind was, well a bit gusty!

RS80 seems to be a good powder in the 300NM, I've a very solid load giving 2940 and low SD's so happy with that. elevations TBA as the ballistic app i was using was out (consistently out, but out none the less) - 1st time out with rifle and Apps so not too worried.

Need to add the red dot to save time and stress at distance though!

Good couple of days shooting at Tiff's place, good crowd as well 😎

Sorry newbie question, but what do you use the Red dot for ? 

Ive used one on my 10/22 for fast target acquisition close in, but not seen one used at distance.

55 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Sorry newbie question, but what do you use the Red dot for ? 

Ive used one on my 10/22 for fast target acquisition close in, but not seen one used at distance.

High mag scopes have a very narrow field of view which makes target location sometimes slow. The red dot allows rapid alignment of the high Mag scope with the target at which point the shooter drops onto the primary scope to take the shot 

13 minutes ago, srvet said:

High mag scopes have a very narrow field of view which makes target location sometimes slow. The red dot allows rapid alignment of the high Mag scope with the target at which point the shooter drops onto the primary scope to take the shot 

What he said.

• 10 months later...

So what primers have people been using, im interested as my 300nm has arrived and hopefully be picking it up this week, 

To start I'll be using lapua brass,  RS80 and Berger 230g bullets,

I've got load data from RS,

any recommendations peeps,

TIA,

AL

Concur with JMH's comments, found Fed LR Magnum match worked. 

My load was also using RS80 and 230g Berger Hybrids, very consistent.

Thanks guys,only asking as Ive got'1000,cci LR MAG 250 primers, 

And 500 murom kvb 7m primers,

Just wondering if you've used any of these and if youve noticed a difference between them and the fed lr mag,primers 

Than

Al,

Al,

I only tried a couple of primers as I'd used (after faffing around with other types) Fed LR Mag Match in both 300WM & 7mm SAUM previously with success and as the rifle performed well I did not do much more testing.

I had experienced funny performance in my recent endeavours with Murom more recently so did not go for any of them, but i saying when they were sold under a different brand a while back they were good.

11 hours ago, John MH said:

Tried Murom LR Magnum Primers and got several hang fires (delay between primer and powder ignition) so would not recommend them (could just be a 'batch' 

Thanks guys

I'll get a few fed primers to try as well,

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 29.5 inch barrell (300NM) with 1in8twist. Planning on using rs76. Anyone have some advice on starting load using 220gr SMKs. I have a choice of rs76 or 80. Which would work better please or is it a case of try both?

Ideally I would want speeds north of 3000fps with my target load

Thanks 

• 5 months later...
On 9/28/2023 at 7:48 AM, shooter83 said:

I have a 29.5 inch barrell (300NM) with 1in8twist. Planning on using rs76. Anyone have some advice on starting load using 220gr SMKs. I have a choice of rs76 or 80. Which would work better please or is it a case of try both?

Ideally I would want speeds north of 3000fps with my target load

Thanks 

How did you get on with the 220 SMK’s. Putting in my order for a 300 NM at the end of the month.. Currently buying all the necessary reloading equipment for it.. brass and bullets included. Everything but the powder as this will be the one thing that I won’t buy in bulk, trying first N170 or N165 as I already have a tub of this..

What die sets are you all using? I don’t have a neck turner..

2 hours ago, sandyb said:

How did you get on with the 220 SMK’s. Putting in my order for a 300 NM at the end of the month.. Currently buying all the necessary reloading equipment for it.. brass and bullets included. Everything but the powder as this will be the one think that I won’t buy in bulk, trying first N170 or N165 as I already have a tub of this..

.300NM is a great round once you tune it. The 220 SMK with 83.4 grain rs76 give me 3120fps and quarter moa. Id get rs powders. Availability seems to be better. Rs76 or 80. The group to the right is a 6 shot group at 900yards. 

IMG_20240203_092845.jpg

17 minutes ago, shooter83 said:

.300NM is a great round once you tune it. The 220 SMK with 83.4 grain rs76 give me 3120fps and quarter moa. Id get rs powders. Availability seems to be better. Rs76 or 80. The group to the right is a 6 shot group at 900yards. 

IMG_20240203_092845.jpg

how's that 1/4 moa ?   

2 hours ago, sandyb said:

How did you get on with the 220 SMK’s. Putting in my order for a 300 NM at the end of the month.. Currently buying all the necessary reloading equipment for it.. brass and bullets included. Everything but the powder as this will be the one think that I won’t buy in bulk, trying first N170 or N165 as I already have a tub of this..

.300NM is a great round once you tune it. The 220 SMK with 83.4 grain rs76 give me 3120fps and quarter moa. Id get rs powders. Availability seems to be better. Rs76 or 80. 

Quarter MOA when load testing in the the tunnel at 100yards. I measured using calipers.

Thought I'd share me 900yards group for a more real world group. As the fella wanted to know how the smks fair with the .300NM. in any case the first shot to the left was cold bore. The second one I thought I'd bring it down a tad. By the third I just left it to do it's things and concentrated on me sight picture and body positioning.

20 minutes ago, shooter83 said:

Quarter MOA when load testing in the the tunnel at 100yards. 

Thought I'd share me 900yards group for a more real world group. As the fella wanted to know how the smks fair with the .300NM

I see.

I've just run your load through Quickload for interest as I've been toying with 300NM, re-barrelling my .338LM

29.5 inch barrel, 1:8 twist RS76 83.4gr  Sierra MK 220  Is that correct ?

That gives a case fill of just 84% and a resultant MV of only 2799fps. 

Assuming a typo for powder quantity  (for the purposes of sandyb's question)  and trying 93.4gr (94% fill and 3110fps MV)  - that gives a highly dangerous over-load so I'm pretty sure that can't be what you're using.

So how do you get 3120fps ?