Tumbler - alternative??

Oly

I was reading on Sportmans website that the Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Turbo Tumbler can also be used for "for rock polishing or other hobbies requiring small polishing or deburring operations". Which got me thinking...can a rock tumbler be used for case tumbling (with the right media)? :ph34r:

I've been reckoning on a "pikey" version for when I start reloading. I work in a lab, which has a few of those turny roller things that roll tubes of blood to stop them from clotting.

Old Coke bottle, media of choice, tumble away.

Anybody tried anything similar?

The Lyman and other tumblers actually vibrate which is much better for cleaning/ polishing, roller types are better for coating and rock polishing.

There are various ones available the Lyman pro is a big one for a lot of cases and needs a lot of cob and polish to fill it up.

If you look on the Smart reloader site thay are cheap as chips and do work.

Not getting into a discussion with Andrew on wire wool :lol: but it will never get near cases going in my rifles.

http://www.smartreloader.com/

Redfox

been using grey scotch bright lately, its super fine and case necks look like they are new.

the mrs doesnt like it for some reason so when she is cleaning them for me she still uses brasso or solvo autosol

I think the super fine scotch is awsome for cleaning the necks, dont use the green that you get on the kitchen sponge as its way too course

havent used my tumbler for about a year

Silent,

WRT using Brasso to clean cases - the Ammonia in Brasso will preferentially remove Zinc from brass and will eventually weaken the case(that black stuff that comes off when you use Brasso contains mainly Zinc compounds). Tests were done many years ago by, I think Frankford Arsenal, but I am presently unable to locate the reference.

In fact, avoid cleaners which contain Ammonia for any gun cleaning. I don't think there is Ammonia in Solvol Autosol although I am open to correction.

Peter

Silent,

WRT using Brasso to clean cases - the Ammonia in Brasso will preferentially remove Zinc from brass and will eventually weaken the case(that black stuff that comes off when you use Brasso contains mainly Zinc compounds). Tests were done many years ago by, I think Frankford Arsenal, but I am presently unable to locate the reference.

In fact, avoid cleaners which contain Ammonia for any gun cleaning. I don't think there is Ammonia in Solvol Autosol although I am open to correction.

Peter

Correct me if I am wrong is copper solvent mainly amomonia base? It certainlty smells like it....................

No, most of the copper solvents are not ammonia based. The few that are have clearly stated instructions about how long to leave in the barrel.

Mainly due to the fear of etching the barrel (if allowed to sit too long), a lot of cleaners use different componds other than ammonia. I know LSA has ammonia, hence the reason it states not to leave it in the barrel for more than 15 mins (IIRC).

Ammonia will weaken brass, as stated above...

That's not to say it CAN'T be used for cleaning rifle barrel, but caution must be exercised. In fact, the older "Foul Out" system used to use ammonia in its solution for the reverse electroplating process to remove copper. They have since changed the solution (as I understand it).

Silent,

Peter

wipe on with one cloth, wipe off with another with a wee bit of spirit so its only on for say 5-10 secs so cant see how thats a problem can you?

I take my 223 brass upto and behond 15 loads, my 7.62 past 12 loads and 300 winnie past 9 loads and not had a problem

I dont have a problem with accuracy and can shoot sub 1/4's with most of my guns and like I said its only on for a few seconds

what you have read is true and if I was leaving it on for hours then yeh its a problem

I mean no dissrespect but if you believed every thing on the net you would get a lot wrong , example: have a read about what method benchrest shooters use to clean their bbls and you'll bang your head against the wall,,,,,,,,,,,to brush or not to brush, to soak or not to soak, amonia or not amonia, short stroke or long stroke, jb or not jb, past the crown or not past the crown and so on and so on and so on

one guy will try to tell you not to, one will tell you to and I have been using it for years and take my brass well behond what normally will be expected

Not getting into a discussion with Andrew on wire wool :D but it will never get near cases going in my rifles.

http://www.smartreloader.com/

Redfox

Redfox: I'm not sure your implication about steel wool and brass cases but it can't be good! I've screwed up, haven't I? I have inadvertently ruined about 100 rifles! Darn all those reloading folks who said it was OK to use on cartridge cases for all these years! Darn Lee Precision for still advising it yet!! To think of all those fine rifles! I could just weep... :(

~Andrew

:P

Redfox: I'm not sure your implication about steel wool and brass cases but it can't be good! I've screwed up, haven't I? I have inadvertently ruined about 100 rifles! Darn all those reloading folks who said it was OK to use on cartridge cases for all these years! Darn Lee Precision for still advising it yet!! To think of all those fine rifles! I could just weep... :D

~Andrew

:P

at the final stage of case prep, I have an old .17 brush to which I have wrapped wire wool. I fix the brush in an electric drill and use the wire wool to polish the inside of the necks and take away any case mouth burrs from the chamfering stage. But then again, I use Cillit bang (1 to 5 with water) to soak my cases after decapping/resizing and before tumbling... Ah! the delights of alchemy (8 loadings on 6mmBR, 9 loadings on .204Ruger, only 3 loadings on 6.5x55 as I don't use it much...)

Finman

Like I said Andrew no bun fight but it is definitely not good engineering and my tumblers and ultrasonic bath leave th cases as new while I have a beer and take the weight off.

As for scotchbrite thats even worse nice little grains of aluminium oxide everywhere one of the best and longest lasting abrasives going, but whatever rings your bell. :P

Redfox

Anybody got any views on my tumble in a Coke bottle with normal media idea?

Does not having a vibratory effect render it useless?

hi

i would say that it is the oscillation that gets the cases clean,if you just rotate the cases(spin them) then the hole lot cases and media turn at the same rate.

AT B

Colin :P

If you use a rotary tumbler what you are trying to achieve is "slip", so the the tumbler drags the cases and media up the sides of the tumbler but as some point it slips down (sort of like a cement mixer) - this gives the polish. Try searching for thulmers tumbler or RCBS sidewinder. I would say use a bigger drum than a coke bottle.

I did think about a small cement mixer at one time but did not have quite that many cases to do.

David.

I've built a few tumblers and vibrating deburing machines. With the coke

bottle it will be down to speed (not that all sticks to the wall and nothing happens)

then the polishing media (how aggressiv) and how full you load.

One can dampen the tumbling by adding water. I think the non vibrating

tumbler will remove and clean the outside well but the inside not as well.

Use a compromise, coke bottle and finnmans magic mix , cilit bang.

I've a lazy method, soak brass in polymer remover (lusin spray can) leave it for a day

or so. Then brush the primer area and boil in vinegar/water for a few minutes. Flush well.

Other times I'd throw them into the ultrasonic, but our soap is a bit aggressiv.

Good enough.

edi

Archived