Reloading Kit

legion

What reloading kit would you recommend for a beginner wishing to reload .22/250. Are there good retailers in the uk for a good price or should i look to the usa for value for money. Any advice on powders,bullets and loading data much appreciated.

When load testing different ammo, should the barrel be cleaned between each batch or only between brands. many thanks.

be honest mate you cant go wrong with the lee aniversary kit, i use its press and it does what is ays it will do

hope thiis helps

mark

Spud is right, I've heard its a good kit.

Certainly look to the USA for price comparisons but what with the exch rate at close to £1 = $1.5 then you gotta add Carr + duty + VAT + HMCE Handling charge, it aint gonna be much cheaper I don't think.

Clean as normal.

You might wish to get a re-loading book legion if you haven't already got one e.g. Modern Reloading Vol 2 by Richard Lee is a good one I can recommend.

OA

The LEE kit works but most soon realise it is bottom of the market and get dissatisfied with the press and scales, a bit more money but completely different quality is the one here which will last you a lifetime, all you need to start up as well is a case lube pad and lube ( RCBS one is ok) and a case trimmer (again the lee trimmers are ok to start with)http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=881148

Some one will have4 a second hand scales on here I 'm sure to save a bob or two.

Redfox

Redfox: He could always sell the Lee stuff when and if he outgrew it. (Or keep it as a spare. I couldn't get by with just one press) I don't' like Lee's powder measure for very fine powders but otherwise, it's OK. There are better ones for the fine powders. As to the trimmers I must take exception to the statement that they just "ok to start with" I use them when I am loading for a standard caliber as they are fixed in length. My cases come out the same length every time without having to do set up and fiddling about with calipers. By fitting their use into every loading cycle, I alleviate the need for measuring cases and wondering if I should trim the lot. They just get trimmed if they need it, and not if they are within specified length; but in any event, they are completely uniform at each reloading. (Which is a good thing!) ~Andrew

I agree - don't buy Lee as it'll be OK to start but you'll quickly realise it's failings. You really do get what you pay for. Redding are known to be one of the best on the market and I doubt you'll find much better than this kit at a great price! http://www.smartreloader.com/redding-big-b...kit-p-2363.html

I would recommend getting this kit and then sourcing many other of the good bits at Sinclair http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading.html

Andrew the only trouble with the lee trimmers ( and Ihave quite a few) is they tend to trim near to maximum length and any alteration has to be done by grinding the pin ( I have that facility but not all do ) but mainly when you trim to near max you end up doing it every time.

I have three case trimmers now ( Lyman, and two Hornady/Pacific ones ) the chuck on the Lyman is the best of the lot. I have std cases already made up for each calibre and labled, so set up is less time than screwing the Lee together and to be real I only need the Lyman one now.

It also allows me to form and trim brass for the experimental cals I try out from time to time, but I agree they do work and are fairly cheap. You notice I didnt knock the Lee dies they are a bit cheap and nasty on the locknuts etc but the rolled threads are as good as any and I have not made any ammo with other dies which made the Lee ones look bad at all in fact all my 222 ammo is loaded using the lee necksizer die and bullet seater and that shoots as sweet as any you could buy, I also use Lee dies on the 17rem and that is as good as it gets on accuracy too, but the presses and scales definitely fall short of what I am prepared to put up with to save a few bob.

Redfox

PS I have also on the larger cals used the dipper method to load the powder instead of weighing and I have to say it works fine but I just feel better weighing the charges with the Lyman DPS11 :D

What reloading kit would you recommend for a beginner wishing to reload .22/250. Are there good retailers in the uk for a good price or should i look to the usa for value for money. Any advice on powders,bullets and loading data much appreciated.

When load testing different ammo, should the barrel be cleaned between each batch or only between brands. many thanks.

Hi Legion

Personally I'd always buy the best you can, you will end up being bitten by the handloading bug, striving for greater consistency and accuracy, and if you start with quality kit you will not have the expense of changing at a later date. Try a search on this forum many great posts on handloading equipment.

Powders that have worked well for me in both my 22-250's are H4895 and Varget, bullet wise I had stunning results with 55g V maxes moly's in a 22-250 Sako I sold about 5 years ago, in fact I still reload for this guy/rifle now ( wish he'd start handloading for himself)

Also had very good results with 52g Barts and Bergers.

Good luck buddy

Cheers Steve

Hi Legion

Personally I'd always buy the best you can, you will end up being bitten by the handloading bug, striving for greater consistency and accuracy, and if you start with quality kit you will not have the expense of changing at a later date. Try a search on this forum many great posts on handloading equipment.

Powders that have worked well for me in both my 22-250's are H4895 and Varget, bullet wise I had stunning results with 55g V maxes moly's in a 22-250 Sako I sold about 5 years ago, in fact I still reload for this guy/rifle now ( wish he'd start handloading for himself)

Also had very good results with 52g Barts and Bergers.

Good luck buddy

Cheers Steve

Sorry for the double guys having probelms posting at present

Andrew the only trouble with the lee trimmers ( and Ihave quite a few) is they tend to trim near to maximum length and any alteration has to be done by grinding the pin ( I have that facility but not all do ) but mainly when you trim to near max you end up doing it every time.

I have three case trimmers now ( Lyman, and two Hornady/Pacific ones ) the chuck on the Lyman is the best of the lot. I have std cases already made up for each calibre and labled, so set up is less time than screwing the Lee together and to be real I only need the Lyman one now.

It also allows me to form and trim brass for the experimental cals I try out from time to time, but I agree they do work and are fairly cheap. You notice I didnt knock the Lee dies they are a bit cheap and nasty on the locknuts etc but the rolled threads are as good as any and I have not made any ammo with other dies which made the Lee ones look bad at all in fact all my 222 ammo is loaded using the lee necksizer die and bullet seater and that shoots as sweet as any you could buy, I also use Lee dies on the 17rem and that is as good as it gets on accuracy too, but the presses and scales definitely fall short of what I am prepared to put up with to save a few bob.

Redfox

PS I have also on the larger cals used the dipper method to load the powder instead of weighing and I have to say it works fine but I just feel better weighing the charges with the Lyman DPS11 :D

Red: As I said, I trim with every reloading so the Lee works just fine. I also have a few other trimmers for those "non-standard" calibers I reload for. Of those, I like the Forrester for the neck turning capabilities.

I use Lee dies for .222 as well. I have no problem with them but you are talking to a guy who made his first resizing die from a block of maple and his second from cast linotype! (Both ideas from the old Dixie Gunworks Catalog here in the US) I can be easily pleased when it's not a competition rifle. I use dippers as well. My favorite reloading rig for the Deuce is the Classic Lee Loader. With it I load at the range. It makes handloads as good as my RCBS stuff.

Yes, I can be a real peasant when I want to be...~Andrew

Depends on wallet and volume / time. I am guessing large quanties of ammo will not be needed so no need for a progressive press (if that assumption is wrong Dillon 550b or 650 are good).

Kits - an easy no think solution to get you started, Lee, RCBS, Redding etc - price does vary but so does quality. In general you get what you pay for.

My press etc is a bit different than what I would recommend (I use a 50bmg press for 338 Lapua) not needed with 22-250. If it were me:-

Forster Co-Ax press

Redding Comp die set (3 die set) c/w titanium bushing(s)

Wilson case trimmer

RCBS 10-10 scales

Lee dipper set to dump powder into scales

RCBS trickler (manual)

RCBS reloading blocks - new type

RCBS Hand Primer

RCBS funnel

RCBS inside/outside case neck de-bearing tool.

Lee Univeral De-capping die

Set of digital callipers

Think that covers the basics to get started - then think about stuff like a ultrasonic or vibratory case cleaner, the list can go on and on.

David.

aint been doing long but iv got the best i can get my hands on in my mind ..buy once and once only i say .

phone pics

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Archived