Mausingfield 6.5x47

Big Al

I finished this rifle a couple of weeks ago and is now awaiting load development. Its very much the kind of rifle I like and would be happy to own this one myself. After talking the project through with my customer and deciding on the type of rifle he wanted and the uses he would have for it he then gave me a bit of free reign as to the final spec and cosmetics. He wanted something a little different and with a classy understated look rather than blingy. We are both happy with the end result.

The idea was to make a long range precision varminting rifle that was also capable of 600yd & 1000yd benchrest competitions. The rifle weighs 16.95lb as seen so qualifies as a benchrest light gun and the bag rider plates are for shooting from rests, they can be removed in seconds for field use and a bipod fitted to the Anschutz rail.

The spec is as follows;

Mausingfield action from the American Rifle Company 
Bartlein 5R chambered in 6.5x47 and throated for 140's
Manners T4A carbon stock
Bix & Andy benchrest trigger
Tier One bottom metal for an AI 5 shot mag
Anshutz rail
My own design bag riders and muzzle brake
IOR Terminator 12-52x56

_MG_8712.jpg

_MG_8715.jpg

_MG_8718.jpg

_MG_8722.jpg

_MG_8723.jpg

_MG_8725.jpg

_MG_8726.jpg

_MG_8727.jpg

_MG_8734.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I received some feedback from my customer after the load development was completed.

A stable OCW test showed good bullet/powder/barrel compatibility, OCW was established at 40.7gr of H4350.

Seating depth tuning went as expected with the final length of 2.135" being confirmed with three consecutive groups averaging 0.240" with Hornady 140 ELD-M. 

al.png

al2.png

Yes, its a rather big scope Terry but it had been bought in advance in readiness for a future new rifle build. At 17lb it was never going to be a woodland stalker that for sure. :)

Most of the time customers know what they want and as you say, often its camo. This may also have something to do with the fact that McMillan stocks are a popular product and Jacksons rarely have plain colours so I certainly do my fair share of camo whether I want to or not. I also think if people without inspiration see something they like its easy for them to say build me one like that one and the camo army grows and grows.

The chap who owns this rifle asked me to build something that was a little different from the crowd using high quality parts throughout. It was nice to have a bit of a free reign although each component choice was discussed and agreed before it was ordered. 

I think its different, quite understated but obviously quality to those who know - to that end he got what he wanted.

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, lapua said:

The one with the holes in. But i want it without the holes (or the writing)

The target isn't mine, I posted pictures sent to me by the chap that was paid by my customer to do the load development. What I do know is he made the target himself in MS Word

How close is the Mausingfield action to a Musgrave? (an "improved" Mauser, allegedly).

I have an old Muzzy in 6BR with a Davies trigger, and it's really nice to shoot.

Re-Pete

6 hours ago, lapua said:

I know you can find many targets on the web but i thought that one was particularly good, hence why i asked. Its only a target, its not like i’ve asked to spend the night with his daughter ffs. 

I dont have a daughter...

As for the target, the name of the maker is printed on it, contact him and ask him yourself.

6 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

How close is the Mausingfield action to a Musgrave? (an "improved" Mauser, allegedly).

I have an old Muzzy in 6BR with a Davies trigger, and it's really nice to shoot.

Re-Pete

I think the article you found will cover pretty much anything I can say.

From my own experience its a very well made high quality product. Most of the work I do these days is custom action builds, BAT, Borden, Bighhorn, Mausingfield, RPA and Defiance. BAT and Borden are tighter but in a field action I wouldn't want that, the Mausingfield has some clearance that allows to to run fast and very smoothly, the finish on the Mausingfield is as good as the very best and now with the option of PVD coatings as standard it is a real player in the LR Varminting and PRS type build market. Even that bolt knob which is very Marmite actually plays a good part in the function once you get used to it.

I was talking to the chap who I built it for only this week and he was saying its a delight to use.

Is there an importer of the actions? I contacted Musgrave a while back to see if they'd be making any more of the single-shot versions, but no luck.

Re-Pete

Mausingfield are imported by Paddy Dane 

Top man to deal with trade or retail 

3 hours ago, Big Al said:

I dont have a daughter...

As for the target, the name of the maker is printed on it, contact him and ask him yourself.

Thanks for your help.

so who is it? Its not PRS, so who is “Precision Rifle Shooting”??? My googlefu didnt find it

15 minutes ago, lapua said:

Thanks for your help.

so who is it? Its not PRS, so who is “Precision Rifle Shooting”??? My googlefu didnt find it

Jesus f**king Christ on a bike, 

Do some screenshots, copy and paste them into Excel and make your own...

I did it in 10 mins this afternoon, it isn't rocket science

Take up CSR and think for yourself!!!!!!!

Lamest thread resurrection ever

23 minutes ago, bradders said:

Jesus f**king Christ on a bike, 

Do some screenshots, copy and paste them into Excel and make your own...

I did it in 10 mins this afternoon, it isn't rocket science

Take up CSR and think for yourself!!!!!!!

Lamest thread resurrection ever

Perhaps you care to share them then?

Archived