A.i aw 308!!!!!!

Had this rifle for a few months now,, When i first bought it it was in black????

But thanks to ronin she now has green pannels,, And looks pritty good!!!!

Now fitted with a new muzel brake and mirrage band,,,, There is not much that can be done to these rifles or for that matter needs to be done,,,,

She is looking goodGetAttachment.jpg

Most loads that i have done for it have been nothing short of amazing????

125 grain fowlers, 47 grains of vit 140

09-05-08_2200.jpg

The same type of groups were done with 155 scenars 46g of 140

All in all this has to be one of the best 308 rifles that i have seen,,,,,

As these rifles are switch barrel,, I hope to have a 6br barrel very soon,,,

Should be good??

All the best Darrel

Sounds like you're having fun there Darrel! Glad to hear you're happy with her and keep up the good work!

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a 'mirrage band'?

Mirage band parallels the barrel and keeps the haze out ( minimizes) of the sight picture.

Avoids the shimmering view after a few rounds.

Darrel thats a pretty impressive group.

You'll love the 6BR and it should be very interesting on that platform.

Cheers

Dave

Hi dave,

All the paperwork has gone in and i have just had a price for acurracy international!!!!

Delivery time will be about 4 months so by the time i have my cert back it should be nearly ready???

He says with crossed fingers ;) ,,,,

like you said on the ai platform it should be bloody good?????

I will start pestering you for some decent loads mate!!!! :lol:

Take care,, Darrel :)

foxing2night,

Sorry to butt-in; am I understanding this correctly -are you having a 6mmbr barrel done for your AW?

If so, are you planning to single load it; or is it anticipated that it will mag feed?

Thanks!

Hi mate,, Yes i am having a 6br barrel for my aw!!!!

And yes it will be fed from a magazine????

It is possible as there are a few poeple that i know who can do the job????

If you go onto 6br you will see a vid of one working from a mag!!!!!

F2n :ph34r:

Wow! :ph34r: I'll have a dig around at 6br. Other than the new barrel, are any other modifications required -to mag followers for instance? PM inbound.

Edited to add: Just watched the vid: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek032.html noticed it's a Rem using the AICS -which I believe is a single stack mag. He also shows in the text that he had to modify the mag pretty significantly -he also mentions modifying the ejector. Not sure how that will read-across to an AW!

Hi mate,

Yes i believe that it is a aics stock and some sort of rem action!!!!

using a ai mag (single stack mag),,,,

Yes there is a lot of work to do to the mag,,,, But i think that the end result will be worth it????

6br is the same bolt face as a 308 so i cannot see any probs with the ejector,,,,

I will keep my fingers crosed on this one!!!! I have studied both cases and i cannot see any differance :ph34r:

F2n

The 6br will mag feed daryll, mine works flawlessly, but its an aics straight feed mag system, running front spacers. I cant recall the aw mags, as i ve seen very few, but basically what you need is a centre feed, regardless of whether its staggered stacked. This is why it bloody difficult to make them feed from a sako mag for instance. You will also need a sako style extractor , again i cant recall the aw so dont know if it has one or not. The std remmy extractor isn,t up to it, as the distance between the extractor, and ejector is not great enough...they need to be more or less opposite on the bolt face for best effect.Have a look at mine at the next mcqueens, and all will become clear.

I cant recall the aw mags, as i ve seen very few, but basically what you need is a centre feed, regardless of whether its staggered stacked.
p><p>Don

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/thebrowndog/P1010063.jpg' alt='P1010063.jpg'>

Not sure if that changes the price of fish! I've read of it successfully feeding 6.5x47 ...does success with 6.5x47 indicate probable success with 6br?

:ph34r: Thats the same as a sako mag unfortunatly. It can be done, but basically to feed a 6mmbr, it needs to have a long bullet, and i reckon, a spacer at the rear of the mag to push them right to the front. The problem with dual feed mags as this, is that little cartridges such as the 6mmbr tend to get "bumped and jostled" on their way out of the mag.they will stand a slight upset in one direction...usually upwards on the way in, and still feed, but push them up, and sideways as this mag will do...and they will misfeed. This is down to the short case, and its not usually started to chamber, before its rear pops out of the mag, then being so light, it misfeeds.

It could be done, i have no doubt [ i must be a sick get, i love those sort of quests] but it would be one of those repeaters that needed exactly the same pressure, and speed on the bolt handle i reckon.

If it was mine, i would give it a go however.

Cheer,s Dave your inputt is always based on good sound advice!!! Top man,,,

If i have to buy some single feed mags it would not matter one bit??? If that is possible for an aw,,,

I think that the gauntlet is down on this one?????

Dave if you fancy the challange We will talk at the next mcqweens ???

All the best,, Darrel P.S Matt thank you for your pic,s!!! This should be a good project?????

Hi all,

Dave,

Had a quick chat about this AI 6BR possible mag feed problem with Darrell earlier this evening. Knowing that the 6BR has the same sort of mag feed problems as the WSSM (fat dumpy round that is) cant he alter the bolt face like Browning and Winchester do for their WSSM models. They cut the bottom of the bolt face to allow the cartridge to slide up into it as it feeds from the mag, this helping to guide it into the chamber straight as its held by the bolt face as it runs up the feed ramp.

My new Winchester Model 70 in 243 WSSM has a double stacked mag, be it with a single feed ramp and seems to chamber and eject rounds faultlessly.

Pic's of the bolt face on my Winchester:

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

I think this could work with the mag lips altered to push a round towards the centre line and don't think the altered bolt face would effect things when the .308 barrel is use ether.

Just a though, that's all.

Jay.

its a good thought jay. The bolt type /action on your winchester is known as "controlled feed", similar to a sako. The short answer is i dont know. It would involve a reproof, and if it didn,t work it would mean a new bolt. The extractor would have to be a sako type, and it would have to be in the correct position. The stumbling block, i can see, without even seeing the mags, is not being able to bend the feed lips over far enough to centre feed...they just wont be long enough, and could trap the follower, or even if they didn,t , would present the round too low.

Aha....that diagram tells the bad news unfortunatly. That bolt is unlikely to eject the short br case properly. The ejector [the pin ] is too near the sako style extractor.If the pin is at 5 o clock say, the sako extractor is roughly at 9 o clock. Ideally it would be better at 10 o clock, to throw rounds clear of the ejection port. I had the same problem on the surgeon.

However, we will have a good squint at it at the mcqueens Darryl, i,ll pop some dummies and empty cases in my bag, and we,ll have a play. Br cases dont play the same game as a .308 or 6.5x47 when it comes to ejection unfortunatly.

Feed Ramp angles may need looking at if a BR case is chosen, which would be, one of those deep breath tasks (like altering the AW bolt......)

Try a dummy, if it wont work have a re-think on which case to choose...

Firstly may i thank all you gents for your input on this suject!! :huh: ,,, It has been realy interesting reading them all!!!!!!

One more problem that has cropped up,, Is the fact that my aw has twin ramps on the action,, Solely so that a double stack mag will feed???

I still think that it will be possible to manufacture a mag that will work????

All of these thoughts have been said out aloud,,,, Mostly out of my head (no coments please)

Tomorow i will get a mag out and have a good look at it,,,, Then at the next comp, When dave brings the dummy rounds we will be able to get a better idea of the job at hand,,,,

The last resort would be to single feed???

Keep them coming boys,,,,

Darrel

Archived