A.i aw 308!!!!!!

If it has a double scalloped feed ramp, then we are in with a better chance of it having it Darryl, and the tighter scallops wont let the bullet tip wander too much.

There,s been some great idea,s on this thread so far, and i still reckon it can be done. the test will be the dummies. Bullet selection can also play a big part in this round feeding.

I still think that it will be possible to manufacture a mag that will work????

Darrel

Darrel if you look at the post I put up referring to the magazine conversion I made for my Howa you will see that I took a twin stack mag’ and cut and welded the feed lips to make it a double stack but feed from the centre position mag', it wasn’t that hard to get it work 100%. I am sure you could do the same and get the BR to feed.

Link:-

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3427

Best rgds

B-b

Hi Darrel,

Please do not take offense but the expression "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind. As much as I like the idea of 6mmBR I would not give up one bit of reliability in an AI for it (defeats the idea of an AI). Also the accuracy of the 308 loads were great.

Now that said, I admire that you will try something different and I really hope you can make work. (Hell, I like playing with unusual ideas - it`s half the bloody fun, so I apologies for any prejudice in the first paragraph). If you want David Bergens email ( bloke on 6mmBR) I have it, drop me a pm. He was interested in doing a project on an RPA AICS similar to what I did.

If 6mmBR does not work, just a thought but 243 Win (possibly Ackley it) using 107 - 115 pills will get you similar wind drift and a flatter trajectory than 338 Lapua, or in 6mmBR a Badger 2008 action in an AICS may give you something very AI`ish and a single stack mag.

David.

Hi gents,

Bambi, Thank you for your reply,,, at least it has given me a bit of hope as at first it looked like this project would end up being single feed?? Not that this would be a problem!!!! But,,,, I would like to have ago at the mcqweens comp with this calibre??? I found it very interesting to see how you over come your problem,,, Good work there indeed,,, If my ai had a single feed ramp your mag idea would of worked for me!!! But it has dual feed ramps in the action?? But saying that, this might be in my favour??? I will just have to wait and see?????

Thank you for your input,,, Darrel

David,

I know what you meen about the ai in 308!!!! But as i said earlyer, i do a lot of shooting in a semi rural area,, This is what promted be to consider a 6br using 75g b/tips, for rabbit and fox,, and the fact that i have allways had a longing for a br!!!!! My idea was that if i put a 6br barrel on my ai then i might consider selling my 6mm ppc, whitch is my main foxing and benchrest rifle!!!! Then the AI would be used more in the field than what it is at the moment??? 4 grand plus rifle,,, Got to use it more than i am at the moment,,,,,

Baldie,,,

Ya bugger, now you have got my mined turning bloody circles mate,, Have had a look at this calibre in the past and i know that it has got a good following in the states????

To be honest i did not know that it was possible to get one done over here????, The problem would be that the paperwork has gone it to plod for 6br,, I do not think that they would be pleased if i start pissing them around??? I am going to look at 6br .com and way it up,,

Take care guys and thanks again for all your inputt :lol:;) ,,, Darrel

Hi Darrel,

Just to add with 6xc, Norma makes the brass so no problem getting cases.

6mmBR for what you want, I can seee the attraction. Hope you can make it work. I spent some time today messing with my 308 AI. Started to look at feeding but without 6mmBR cases it did not achieve much.

David.

How did the 6br trial go?! Keen to know!

On the 6XC side of things; I wonder if 6-6.5x47lapua might be easier to source/make in UK.

Reading through 6br.com the 6xc and 6-6.5x47L sound just about identical. I'll start a new thread to see if anyone knows of reamers in UK for either cartridge.

How did the 6br trial go?! Keen to know!

On the 6XC side of things; I wonder if 6-6.5x47lapua might be easier to source/make in UK.

Reading through 6br.com the 6xc and 6-6.5x47L sound just about identical. I'll start a new thread to see if anyone knows of reamers in UK for either cartridge.

Brown dog,,

Should have some more info on the 6br mag trials, After next sunday??? when i have a chance to speak to baldie at the diggle comp!!!!!

I will post all of what we fined out as soon as i can,,,,

Darrel

Hi gents,

I found two 6br cases last night and tried them in the mag, Then i tried to feed them in???, Low and behold they fed in with no problems, Things could be looking up!!!!!! :angry:

Next step was to put one in the bolt face and support it with my finger as i close the bolt,,, Did not close the bolt all the way just incase i got one stuck???,

Looking at the exstractor it apears to be at the three o-clock position,, As i moved the bolt back out the case ejected one foot out onto the carpet :angry:

So at the moment i would dare to say that my project is looking like a go,er :angry::angry:

All the best to you all,,, Darrel

If the cases feed reliably in the double stack mags AND feed via the L & R feed ramps on the AW this could be a goer....... :)

I would load several dummy rounds and fill a mag, make sure they cycle, feed and eject several times before making final decision..

If the cases feed reliably in the double stack mags AND feed via the L & R feed ramps on the AW this could be a goer....... :)

I would load several dummy rounds and fill a mag, make sure they cycle, feed and eject several times before making final decision..

Hi ronin,

I only have 2 dummy rounds to try???

I am going to the diggle next sunday and i am hopeing that Baldie will bring some more cases with him???? then we will have a better idea of what is going on,,,,

Withe the barrel being 308 i don,t think that i can close the bolt all the way??? As them little br cases might get lost :P

When my cert comes back,,, I will pm you and then we can have a talk as to what to do????

All the best ,, Darrel ;)

Shooting with FCSA at Warcop on Sat, but will try to get to Diggle too...

Firstly i would like to thank baldie for taking to time to load me some dummy rounds to try,, (6br)

And they look like they will work a treet???

Now when the paperwork comes back and i can sorce a barrel?? I can get this project up and running,,

As they say watch this space,,,,, F2n :)

• 9 months later...
..what's a 'mirrage band'?

They're useful on very still days and when there's a very light breeze from ahead/behind. With even slight wind from the sides, they won't do much. It might tell you something that not many of the serious fullbore shooters use them routinely.

If it's blowing hard, they can in fact be a negative and aggravate wind buffeting.

Chris-NZ

Darrel,

Did you take the 6br/AW idea forward? Grateful for any news.

Hi BD,

I have not gone for the 6br barrel in the end???? But i have just recieved from Greame clark a 6.5x47 barrel

Only picked it up tuesday,,, And it won,t be put on untill later next month,,,,

Then i will post some pics and results,,

Darrel

Thanks Darrel. What swayed you away from the 6BR? I'm often wondering 6BR vs fast twist 243 vs 6.5x47 -but never make my mind up!

6.6x47 seems to have such a lot going for it?? Ballistically and accuracy wise,,,,

Plus it has got good barrel life,,, and it will feed directly out of an AI mag

RGDS Darrel

Archived