Custom Build

Hi guys, I am new here. Looks like a good site.

I am planning a custom 260rem to start shortly. I've been speaking to a few smiths - they all have their own ideas.

I spoke to a guy yesterday who seemed to be on the same wavelength - Chris from Anglo Custom.

He tells me he has Sako 75 bare actions in stock, Walther barrels and McMillan stocks to match. Turn around seems quick.

Do any of you guys have any experiences to share of working with these guys or what their finished rifles are like?

Thanks for the help.

One of my friends from another site has ordered a .308 from Chris at the Game Fair, that should be delivered very soon. This rifle is subject to an accuracy competition between its new owner and another board member, both have pledged £50 to charity before they start so its a winner all round. I am hosting this in late November in the East Midlands if you want to come and have a look see and a bang.

I have handled and shot some of the rifles that Chris has been involved with, notably his own Mannlicher actioned 22.250AI, they do perform very well. Three rounds within three inches at over 700 yards, 2 of those were an inch or so apart.

A

Another + for Chris. I had him out stalking when he was up this neck of the woods and he is a good chap.

He has just finished building my 243 Ai so will see what it shoots like when it comes back from paint.

Ads

I visited Anglo Customs stand at the CLA and was impressed at Chris's enthusiasm and obvious build skills of the rifles on display.

Alicydon

might be an idea if you could open this up to other members and make a day for a shoot?

Not imposing - just an a thought.

My only advice is to go with the personal reccomendations from satisfied customers but still be sure to make a clear agreement about the spec/components/timescale/cost etc. I was let down badly last year by a so called riflesmith (not the one you're talking about I hasten to add!) on a relatively simple re-barrelling job, without mentioning any names, his reputation for his workmanship is good but his admin is a disaster and he takes on so much work that he ends up letting alot of his customers down. My biggest problem was getting another 'smith to take on a project that was already in progress, its all sorted now but its left a bitter taste in the mouth. JC

You will not go wrong dealing with Chris, I too visitd him at the MGF and was impressed not only with the rifles he had on display but also his enthusiasm and knowledge regarding custom rifles.

Hope this helps.

Regards,Sprags

Bloody Hell - I better add to the Chris Fest!! :excl:

I don't believe you can go wrong with the man.

After him fettling my Sako TRG I had him build a Rem/Shilen/Manners .223 for me now I'm lined up for a Sako actioned .260 - sound familiar ?

I wonder if we can get a discount on a pair ..... :unsure:

TC

Thanks for the feed back lads.

TC, you might be onto something... :unsure:

The 260rem seems to be increasingly popular among rifle cranks, can't for the life of me understand why it is not a commercial success, should be the perfect step between a .22 CF and a .30 cal (6.5x55 is probably the answer to that question).

The 260rem seems to be increasingly popular among rifle cranks, can't for the life of me understand why it is not a commercial success, should be the perfect step between a .22 CF and a .30 cal (6.5x55 is probably the answer to that question).

........because you only need 1 rifle to do the job of .22cf to .30 cal and remington ect dont want that!!!!

The .260 rem has been around quite a while. The reason it is enjoying somewhat of a revival, is due in part to the huge success of the 6.5x47 lapua. People have seen what a hell of a cartridge this is...then looked at the bc of the 139 grain scenars etc, which are way above the 123 grain class used in the 6.5x47. the heavier bullets require a longer leade, and most peoples 6.5x47 reamers are freebored for the 123...not the 139.ok, no problem for those of us with separate throaters, but most folk seem to opt for the .260 then, as its designed for the heavier bullet.Its only drawback is lack of quality brass, meaning, lapua 243 must be necked up, or .308 necked down, although i,m sure i heard somewhere that norma do .260 brass?

I have a mate who has a .260 Ackley, built by terry cross, and that bugger positiveley steams along.

have to agree with middlestead.....its a do it all calibre...and will make your other guns redundant.

"Huge sucess of the 6.5x47 Lapua"

In what may i ask?

How many F-Class matches has it won?

How many 1000yd BR matches has it won?

How many 600yd BR matches has it won?

Need i ask anymore?

The 6mmBR Improved cartridges in various guizes are king of the hill in all BR above 300yds

Big 7mms and .30 cals rule roost when it comes to F-Class

Even our buddy who took a 6.5x47 over to the Czech sniper champs was beaten by a good old 308.

Ian.

There,s a bisley gold medal from the phoenix meeting this year, sat in front of me. Its for 4/5/600 yards "f" class, that i won there. The field comprised most of the top international shots, shooting all the fancy 7mm,s etc.

mine has won the odd 1000 yards, and at least 2, 600 yard br matches.

Have you shot one competitvely Ian ?

Our 6.5x47 reamers are never off the lathe, i do 3 of them to every .308.

might be an idea if you could open this up to other members and make a day for a shoot?

Not imposing - just an a thought.

No problem, we do hold informal plate and target shoots fairly regularly anyway, usually three or four of us but there would be no problem if others wanted to attend. Last time we went out to over 700 yards. This particular challenge is between two quite well known web personalities neither of whome usually post here, both are deer stalkers. At present there should be maybe eight attending already, we only have two benchs so that is probably enough untill we get some more benchs built.

If there was enough demand it would probably be easier to run a UKV day as a seperate entity. We are roughly M1 J18 area.

A

You might be making lots of 6.5x47Lapua rifles dave but the cartridge is living off a reputation that it has not earned

I have not shot one competitively and i dont intend to as i think it is a hugely overratted cartridge thats been hyped up to be a lot more then it actually is

Ian.

Ok Ian, you name me another cartridge with all these attributes.

1. Small primer pocket.

2.readily available lapua brass that requires no work.

3. probarbly the highest pressure capacity in its class.

4.An easily achievable "magic" 3ooofps with most powders, and a 123 grain bullet.

5.Easily mag feeds from any .308 magazine.

6.Better ballistics than any military cartridge, or virtually most civilian ones.

7. Low recoil.

In my original post about the .260, i did indeed mention the cartridges phenomenal success [6.5x47].You asked for proof of wins.There are mine with the cartridge.I was actually referring to the cartridges commercial success.Ask any rifle builder in the UK or america, how many they are building, and you would see what i mean. It has eclipsed the .308 in the states for their tactical/sniper comps, and is doing the same here.Thats only happening for one reason.....people are winning with it.

I have two 6mmbr,s , and am about to build a dasher.The 6mm,s wont live with the 6.5x47 in the wind, and thats what counts.The ability of the tiny br cartridges to "onehole" microscopically doesn,t mean jackshit when the wind starts.

It was never designed as a benchrest cartridge , though is does seem to be gaining a reputation, and a following at 5/600 yards , especially at diggle .

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the original post , regarding Chris or the .260 rem he,s building for his customer.The .260 is a fine cartridge, and its one i always point people to, if they want to shoot a 139/140 class bullet....because it does it better than the 6.5x47 .The reverse is true with a 123 grain bullet.

I was merely commenting on the cartridge , because i have PERSONAL experience of owning, and shooting it, in national competition.I think that qualifies me to comment...

If the opportunity arises for a ukv day on the benches, i will gladly bring my 6.5x47, and also my fat buddy with his, and will also put £50 on my calibre , to the winners charity....providing its matched of course.....

Good article on this 6.5x47 vs 260 stuff here. From the 'no free lunch in ballistics' point of view, I have trouble reconciling the massively higher pressure of the 6.5x47 against it's performance gain. But, for targets, it just seems to boil down to a question of taste:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootou...-6.5-creedmoor/

One of these days I'm going to get a spare barrel in one of them (or maybe 243 done for 115gr VLDs!)

"One of these days I'm going to get a spare barrel in one of them (or maybe 243 done for 115gr VLDs!)"

Have the very reamer old chap!

Good article on this 6.5x47 vs 260 stuff here. From the 'no free lunch in ballistics' point of view, I have trouble reconciling the massively higher pressure of the 6.5x47 against it's performance gain. But, for targets, it just seems to boil down to a question of taste:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootou...-6.5-creedmoor/

One of these days I'm going to get a spare barrel in one of them (or maybe 243 done for 115gr VLDs!)

Zac Smith shoots a 260 in tac comps..........he sold his 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x47 barrel's, dies and cases.

Guest northernchris

Baldie Dave as a mods is it the right thing to do ####### a thread up bickering with Vermin (Ian) ??????????????????????

My take is the .260 better with bullets weights ABOVE 123gr AND 6.5 x 47 better with weights upto and including 123gr.

Dave,

I am aware of all the accuracy creating characteristics of the 6.5x47 Lapua case and i applaud you on your various wins with this cartridge, well done but its not for me, for the type of shooting i would want to do with it anyway.

In a tactical rifle with mag feed i think i would still go for a .260" although the Lapua would be considered.

I have studied the cartridge in detail, as i have been contemplating a 6.5 build for 1000yd BR for quite some time now, but i cannot commit to it at the mo.

The 6.5x47 lapua makes a lot of sense on paper but i feel i will be compromised by the limited bullet weight.

If i am to going to shell out a large wad of cash i want a chambering that is going to win, a bit like choosing 6mmBR rather then 6mmPPC for short range BR when we all know that the PPC has the edge.

As far as i am concerned the 6.5-284 is the only 6.5 cartridge really worth looking at although i might change to a 7mm, depending on what is winning at the time!

In the meantime i will continue monitoring the US Benchrest sites and studying the results and calibres used. ;)

Ian.

;):lol::D

you forget, I do it for love!

243AI Reamer throated for DTAc's - not sure if you would be single feeding in a standard AW mag though.......

Would imagine switch barrel relatively easy to do, already have another AW enquiry ;)

Bear in mind necessity for barrel vice, Go / No-Go guage and action wrench - Zac is making wrenches now that are farrrrrr cheaper than the AI product, although I would expect you have access to these items anyway :) .

Archived