Hello all and advice saught

RoryH

Hi all

I've been lurking on this forum for a wee short while now and chucked a couple of comments out but nothing major. Thought I would introduce myself and ask my first (however broad) question of what seem to be some knowledgeable folks.

I'm 43, former soldier (regt and corps shooting teams way back when) family man and all things outdoorsy enthusiast. Living in Devon with my wife and 7 (yes you read that right) kids and just sent off my renewal of my co-terminous cert for the first time. I've been using shotguns since I could walk but was always told that FAC was too much hassle and stupidly believed it. Anyway now the closed ticket is finished I have asked for a 5.56 and a 7.62 to be put on as variations with the renewal as it is free and they are the two calibres I am familiar with for target, vermin and deer. I am a member of our local club and attend whatever range days that I am able - not enough due to work (shifts - ambulance service) so am looking into joining a second to widen my opportunities to shoot formally. I've used some cracking bits of kit with the club but find it bloody hard work to get a decent sight picture with some folks weapons. My current rifle is a CZ American .17HMR.

The question..

Assuming the grant of these new variations what would people go for to begin with - I'm talking basic workhorse not Gucci shiny and thinking for the future the 5.56 will become a night vision kit mainly for foxes? I realise it is quite the broad subject but any and all input welcome.

Thank you for reading folks.

good evening and welcome,just my opinion but if your fac form has not gone in yet i would put 7.62/308 and 223/5.56 as this will open your choices of firearms.a 308 will handle any 7.62 round BUT a 7.62 will not handle 308 as the 308 is higher pressure also 5.56 is higher pressure than 223 but a european 223rem,cz is a good example as they are proofed cip and you can use surplus nato ammo with no problem and you can use 223remso far greater ammo choice for both.with a 7.62 you will be limited to make/type of rifle you can buy .there are hundreds of 308 out there.good luck.

Welcome Roy

Do you mean chambered for 5.56 or .223 or both?..If I were you, and as it seems you're looking more towards the budget end, I'd opt for the .223 mainly because of more choice rifles in that cal and at reasonable cost. (not going to harp on about the why's and why-not's about .223 over 5.56 as the subject of 'throats' and presuures have been covered on here many times)

What you've already got (CZ) is hard to beat in a factory .223. Howa 1500, T3x, are also descent rifles for the price. As you already know, there s an array of options for you to choose from. If purchasing second-hand? Do your best to get a lend of a borescope, inspect bore/chamber thoroughly and having permission to shoot test the rifle/s is always preferable. At the lower end of a budget rifle a good, well maintained Parker Hale won't let you down either...so many choices and yup a very broad question

Enjoy the forum

223 is a nice round to shoot. More rounds per pound being its major advantage imho, although when hunting I always seemed to take the 308.

'Modern' Tikkas seem to shoot very well. As do others I am sure.

If you take a longer view and assuming you are afflicted with the illogical bug that the rest of us are - I would suggest you spend more at the start and avoid getting on that 'trading up' treadmill.

Cry once, buy once, cut out all the guns in the middle and get yourself an Accuracy International AT. If not this time, make it the next one.

Cheaper in the long run and you spend more time with it in your life. Keep your eyes open for one.

223 is a nice round to shoot. More rounds per pound being its major advantage imho, although when hunting I always seemed to take the 308.

'Modern' Tikkas seem to shoot very well. As do others I am sure.

If you take a longer view and assuming you are afflicted with the illogical bug that the rest of us are - I would suggest you spend more at the start and avoid getting on that 'trading up' treadmill.

Cry once, buy once, cut out all the guns in the middle and get yourself an Accuracy International AT. If not this time, make it the next one.

Cheaper in the long run and you spend more time with it in your life. Keep your eyes open for one.

With 7 bambino's?? ...in practical terms, a CZ

Thanks for the replies gents. Some food for thought.

Certainly would've made sense if I'd thought about it to add the 223/308 to the form...rookie mistake. 5 years to think that one through!

...get yourself an Accuracy International AT. If not this time, make it the next ...

Good call. My eldest tells me she is going to be rich and famous and look after her old man so it's in the Yuletide list. Shot a couple at Corps SAM's years ago, lovely weapons!

Thanks for the replies gents. Some food for thought.

Certainly would've made sense if I'd thought about it to add the 223/308 to the form...rookie mistake. 5 years to think that one through!

...get yourself an Accuracy International AT. If not this time, make it the next ...

Good call. My eldest tells me she is going to be rich and famous and look after her old man so it's in the Yuletide list. Shot a couple at Corps SAM's years ago, lovely weapons!

Hi Rory .... welcome to UKV! :)

Les...I grew up in Runcorn....small world!

Don't know what its like down your way, some forces are doing renewals over the 'phone I know, others are still doing a home visit for every renewal it seems - but if your application isn't back at HQ for final processing yet, give your FEO a call. Shouldn't be much bother to get him to amend your application to 223/308, I added a 308 and a 6.5CM sometime after my home visit.

PS Welcome from another lurker/recent joiner ;)

Rory

Welcome to UKV

D&C police do do renewals over the phone but not sure on variation?

If you are looking for a second club local to you Tamar Rangers shoot Millpool quite regular and share with other clubs so multiple dates would be available. They are a diverse & friendly bunch - sense of humour required! ;). http://www.tamarrangers.co.uk/

Brgds Terry

Rory,welcome.

As other advice-phone your FLO and amend to 5.56/223rem and 7.62/308win -essentially from FLO posituon,these are alternate designations of the 'same' chamberings,and it does NOT mean an increase in permissions (you can get a rilfe marked 223r or one marked 5.56,or marked both;and ditto for 7.62/308w. It much simplifies purchase,as not all are doubly marked.Ammo likewise.Most FLO know this,and it avaoids possible one for one variations in the future. Ditto for ammunition.

Details of what interchanges sensibly/safely and what may not are not an FAC issue-but take advice from reliable users.Enjoy.

gbal

...I'm talking basic workhorse not Gucci shiny...

Welcome to UKV, Rory.

For basic, value-for-money, non go-faster rifles you can't beat either Tikka or the Remington 700 series. An out-of-the-box Tikka T3 or Remington 700 will serve you very well. I personally run a Remy 700 SPS Varmint in .308, and I find it to be a 0.75 MOA rifle with my handloads.

In time to come (after your vasectomy... ;) ) you may wish to instal aftermarket triggers or perhaps a more ergonomic stock. Until then you can laugh all the way to the bank.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles

maximus otter

Rory

Welcome to UKV

D&C police do do renewals over the phone but not sure on variation?

If you are looking for a second club local to you Tamar Rangers shoot Millpool quite regular and share with other clubs so multiple dates would be available. They are a diverse & friendly bunch - sense of humour required! ;). http://www.tamarrangers.co.uk/

Brgds Terry

Thanks Terry.

Tamar Rangers are the other club I am planning to go shoot with. Already in touch via email, just waiting for shoots and shifts to mesh!

Thanks for all the rep[lies gents.

Some advice and information that I need to crack on and sort out.

Archived