PM2 12-50x56,how good?

Woodlander

I have a PM II 12-50 x56 SFP on my AT with a P4 fine reticle, used for target shooting at all ranges.

Fantastic scope if a little heavy, I do find the reticle a little too fine to be honest; but other than that I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

I bought mine from Optics Warehouse, good price but I did have to wait many, many months (5 or 6, due to a backlog at the factory).

I've got two the first was a new one in first focal plane and goes on the RPA 243 for high seat stalking as I find it a heavy scope the second is a second hand second focal plane and on the 22-250 for foxing.

For what your doing varment wise the light gathering is very good .

The only complaints are its a heavy scope and I'm not a fan of mill rads.

I have one on my AW. It's an awesome piece of kit.

Mine has the PF 4 Fein reticle which suits me but some find a bit too fine.

The turrets have 15 MOA elevation adjustment per turn and there's a small window on the turret to display how many turns up.

The glass is fantastic and up to 40x mag it's like you're actually there. At 50x it can be fiddly getting the target in focus.

It's built like a tank and very robust. I get the feeling it's indestructible.

The only downside for me is the eye relief is short and if I forget to load the bipod the eye-piece has bitten me a few times.

Other than that I'd fully recommend it.

Try "Precision Rifle Series" blog on the top scopes the top PRS shooters use.

S&B does well-it's an excellent,expensive scope-but bear in mind PRS is not exactly what you will use it for.

You should check reticule (s) -only your eyes can say eg if the Fine is too fine,or just plain 'fine' for you etc-there is choice.

Quality is pretty much a given,but it's often the detail features-or lack of one- that push a decision between top contenders.

gbal

I have one on my AW. It's an awesome piece of kit.

Mine has the PF 4 Fein reticle which suits me but some find a bit too fine.

The turrets have 15 MOA elevation adjustment per turn and there's a small window on the turret to display how many turns up.

The glass is fantastic and up to 40x mag it's like you're actually there. At 50x it can be fiddly getting the target in focus.

It's built like a tank and very robust. I get the feeling it's indestructible.

The only downside for me is the eye relief is short and if I forget to load the bipod the eye-piece has bitten me a few times.

Other than that I'd fully recommend it.

I'd go along with everything Brillo's said. The turret system, in particular, is a feature I really like. If weight and cost aren't an issue I would say there isn't much else out there to touch one.

Don't rule out the IOR'S....I have a PM 2 and an IOR and prefer the IOR...Both scopes are heavy but tell me a scope that is lightweight with indestructible build quality. I prefer the turrets on the IOR for dialling. I have just had to send the PM 2 back to Germany as the scope developed a problem internally. Exceptional customer service from S&B. If I were you, ask someone nearby if you can have a play with either the Terminator or Crusader..

Thanks. I'd thought about the IORs and it would have to be the Terminator,as I'm looking for SFP,but they are just so damn ugly,but I could probably live with it as the turrets are apparently fantastic. And if like the Crusader,you have the ability to zero for 2 different rifles,then you'd actually be saving money

Weight isn't a huge issue,the S&Bs are 1.1 kg,I believe.

Would be interested to hear of anyone who can give me a direct comparison with the big Zeiss V8.

Thanks

The V8 is definitely a compromise, not a target scope and not one for the purists.The turrets are far from perfect and are essentially a dial able hunting turret,which for crawling around the hill,varmint type hunting,actually work quite well,especially if you remove the spring from the turret. And of course,the clarity and quality of lenses and coatings are second to none.

I think I may have talked myself out of the Schmidt......

It sounds as though for targets and sitting and sniping the Schmidt would be the one,but for wandering around the hill maybe the Zeiss does have the edge and the clarity out to full mag is sublime.

Thanks for your views. Cheers

W

The V8 is definitely a compromise, not a target scope and not one for the purists.The turrets are far from perfect and are essentially a dial able hunting turret,which for crawling around the hill,varmint type hunting,actually work quite well,especially if you remove the spring from the turret. And of course,the clarity and quality of lenses and coatings are second to none.

I think I may have talked myself out of the Schmidt......

It sounds as though for targets and sitting and sniping the Schmidt would be the one,but for wandering around the hill maybe the Zeiss does have the edge and the clarity out to full mag is sublime.

Thanks for your views. Cheers

W

Totally agree with Woodlander.

I had my hopes set on the Zeiss 4.8-35 - even set money aside for it.

Optically this scope is not matched - The FOV - resolution and brightness is outstanding. - it effortlessly hits 35 mag without giving anything up on clarity or image quality.

Unfortunately Zeiss have got the other bits SOOOOO wrong - Here are some of the problems with this scope -- not enough adjustment for LR shooting - Poor choice of LR reticules - No choice regarding First focal plain - A Zero Stop that is utterly useless and looks like it was designed by a retarded chimp ---- and to cap it all - the damn thing doesn't have a windage turret as standard (its a shameful Joke that Zeiss - expects shooters to cough another £160 + to have a windage turret fitted)

So the big Zeiss has amazing optics that are a step ahead of the competition (including my Kahles) - but a flawed design that show how Zeiss just DO NOT understand what is required in producing a world class long range scope , or listen to shooters. I have spoken with Zeiss several times - they don't listen - they do it their way .. END

If they were going to produce a genuine LR scope - they should have taken a leaf from Swarovski and done the job properly.

Anyway rant over --- Peace returning arhhh. I didn't buy one BTW. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived