Shooting clubs near Warminster

terryh

Looks like I'll be moving to the Warminster area but a quick look on the interweb and I cannot find many rifle clubs - or is it a lack of Google-foo?

Pointers or experiance anyone?? With all the military ranges round here I'd thought there must be something?

I'm interested in 'rifles' as in long guns, not gallery or pure 22rf target.

Cheers

Terry

Brillo,

I will be shooting more at Bisley but it's is closer to 1:30 hours and unpredictable in the summer as the 303/M3 succumb to tourists.

Mike

forgot all about the FCSA, I'm not a 50cal/338 shooter but have sufficient selection of kit to utilise distances? Will pm

Terry

FCSA shoot on the plain monthly. Reactive targets out to extreme distances.

Mike, do you have any more detail on that you'd be able/happy to share? I've got it in my mind that you shoot a very short stones throw from me, so I'd be interested in learning more about the day's format, cost etc and particularly whether the days are suitable for shooters with 'normal' calibres (and, I suppose, whether you accept members who only intend to shoot smaller stuff!).

Mike, do you have any more detail on that you'd be able/happy to share? I've got it in my mind that you shoot a very short stones throw from me, so I'd be interested in learning more about the day's format, cost etc and particularly whether the days are suitable for shooters with 'normal' calibres (and, I suppose, whether you accept members who only intend to shoot smaller stuff!).

Morning.

Yes, we accept members with normal calibres. Usually on the plain we have reactive targets (Gongs/steels, knock downs and our own club ETRs) from 200yds or so back to 13/1400 YDS. we also have a steel at just over 2400yds.

Days are relaxed and run on a continuous shooting type. We break for lunch only if the Army have a check fire. This allows us to go forward to check and alter targets.

Range fees are currently £15/day for members and £30/day for FAC holding visitors. Membership costs are on the website.

We aim to shoot each month on the plain, Lydd, Warcop and Sennybridge depending on availability of ranges.

Mike

Morning.

Yes, we accept members with normal calibres. Usually on the plain we have reactive targets (Gongs/steels, knock downs and our own club ETRs) from 200yds or so back to 13/1400 YDS. we also have a steel at just over 2400yds.

Days are relaxed and run on a continuous shooting type. We break for lunch only if the Army have a check fire. This allows us to go forward to check and alter targets.

Range fees are currently £15/day for members and £30/day for FAC holding visitors. Membership costs are on the website.

We aim to shoot each month on the plain, Lydd, Warcop and Sennybridge depending on availability of ranges.

Mike

Mike do you have any "club guns" for longer ranges?

Morning.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I'll drop you a PM with acouple of other questions.

• 1 month later...

Mike do you have any "club guns" for longer ranges?

Hello Mike.

I am a member of the fifty cal club but have yet to shoot with them.

My main interest is to shoot 900yds at Warminster and i gather this is under the Offas Dyke Gun Club.

I think its just a case of me registering for the next shoot and going along as a newbe and hopefully i will be placed with one of the old hands and eased into your procedures etc.

A bit like starting a new school on the first day.

Mike

Mike

FCSA and Offas shoot together anyway at Warminster......just let John Masefield know that you want to attend using Offas website ...needed for MOD security access list.

Looks like I'll be moving to the Warminster area but a quick look on the interweb and I cannot find many rifle clubs - or is it a lack of Google-foo?

Pointers or experiance anyone?? With all the military ranges round here I'd thought there must be something?

I'm interested in 'rifles' as in long guns, not gallery or pure 22rf target.

Cheers

Terry

Here are a few clubs based in Wiltshire and nearby:

http://www.svrpc.org.uk/

http://www.tidworthrpc.org/

http://www.christchurchgunclub.org/

http://fdpc-admin.wixsite.com/fdpc-website

There's also additional clubs listed here: http://www.wcsa.org.uk/public/clubs

I'd expect most fullbore shooting to take place at Bisley or a club's own venue these days rather than at one of the MOD ranges in this county. Unfortunately, It's quite difficult to get consistent bookings at them.

Anaxes

Thank you for the list, I'm now in the process of sorting a couple of clubs locally.

re. your comment 'I'd expect most fullbore shooting to take place at Bisley or a club's own venue these days rather than at one of the MOD ranges in this county. Unfortunately, It's quite difficult to get consistent bookings at them.'

Not what we've found in my current club? And the two clubs I'm looking at near Warminster do not seem to have this problem - do you have a specific issue, did your club/association bring it up at the recent meeting with Landmark and the Army at the Westdown camp etc?

Brgds Terry

Anaxes

Thank you for the list, I'm now in the process of sorting a couple of clubs locally.

re. your comment 'I'd expect most fullbore shooting to take place at Bisley or a club's own venue these days rather than at one of the MOD ranges in this county. Unfortunately, It's quite difficult to get consistent bookings at them.'

Not what we've found in my current club? And the two clubs I'm looking at near Warminster do not seem to have this problem - do you have a specific issue, did your club/association bring it up at the recent meeting with Landmark and the Army at the Westdown camp etc?

Brgds Terry

No problem.

As I understand it, it's an issue of cost. If there's no military presence at a time when a club wishes to book a range, the price rises significantly. I think most of the additional cost involves hiring range officers. It does affect all clubs that wish to use MOD ranges in this county, although since my club is limited to around thirty members, others with higher membership numbers may be better financially equipped to deal with higher range fees.

Yes, it has been a subject of discussion at these meetings.

No problem.

As I understand it, it's an issue of cost. If there's no military presence at a time when a club wishes to book a range, the price rises significantly. I think most of the additional cost involves hiring range officers. It does affect all clubs that wish to use MOD ranges in this county, although since my club is limited to around thirty members, others with higher membership numbers may be better financially equipped to deal with higher range fees.

Yes, it has been a subject of discussion at these meetings.

Ah, yes that would make things a problem for you, as you say a single warden range at the weekend using a just a few points is North of £500 for the day.

T

Archived