F class explained in target shooter

There is alot more to it than I realised.i will read through again until I've grasped it.plotting the wind and recording adjustments is clever.obviously what I did watch I knew scoring was recorded.it didn't occur to me at all it was wind and windage plotted.i didn't get close enough to see this.

There is alot more to it than I realised.i will read through again until I've grasped it.plotting the wind and recording adjustments is clever.obviously what I did watch I knew scoring was recorded.it didn't occur to me at all it was wind and windage plotted.i didn't get close enough to see this.

Often the case.It took me a while to get some idea of why Bench Best targets have a big thick black square on them...even 'real' people didn't know or perhaps had not experienced Raton mirages. Then one day at Diggle,it dawned on me,and it dawned on everyone,and the sun shone,and the little bull circle started to shimmer.....I might still be deluded,of course...

anyhow,glad you've got wind of all this,always better than exasperated hot air. :-)

g

You may find this website helpful, the owner Paul Wheeler has recently added the new HBSA/NRA Historic targets. (pre 1971 scoring rings)

It's worth noting that by using the "scale" box you can adjust the size of the target; those of a nervous disposition may indeed want to include the outer ring! :ph34r:

https://www.scorebook.org/plotsheets/plotsheets

I read muzzle brakes are not allowed.yep noisy things.what about a moderator.as my 284 is 26 inch tube the extra weight of the mod with help manage the recoil.as it's going to be a trial run I won't invest loads of money in a non runner.power wise using RS60 behind a 180gr hybrid it's close on hme so it is probaly going faster than some using H4831sc in there 284's.rear bag wise I don't mind buying a decent one as I need one anyway.what about the front rest (bipod) type rest.maybe I might be lucky to get the use of a seb pod .what else may I need.how many rounds for a cof.cheers Swaro

I read muzzle brakes are not allowed.yep noisy things.what about a moderator.as my 284 is 26 inch tube the extra weight of the mod with help manage the recoil.as it's going to be a trial run I won't invest loads of money in a non runner.power wise using RS60 behind a 180gr hybrid it's close on hme so it is probaly going faster than some using H4831sc in there 284's.rear bag wise I don't mind buying a decent one as I need one anyway.what about the front rest (bipod) type rest.maybe I might be lucky to get the use of a seb pod .what else may I need.how many rounds for a cof.cheers Swaro

You can use moderators as long as it doesn't take your gun over the prescribed class limits I believe.

I do not use a bipod but a Seb front rest so not sure which bipod would be good or fit your rifle.

I use an Edgewood rear bag which Brian Fox sells at Diggle, but look them up on Google for different heights etc.

The course of fire for an F class comp is usually 2 sighters plus 20 and that is the maximum. You are sometimes allowed a one minute blow off period when you can shoot as many as possible to foul the barrel or use them as sneaky sighters.

You will also need plotting cards/pen/shooting mat.

I'm sure I read on the old GB F Class website that neither muzzle brakes or moderators were allowed in either F/TR or F Open, but in the Bisley Bible, under the rules for F Class, it as s that moderators are permitted.

Moderators aren't allowed in international competition. (As they're not legal everywhere, allowing them creates an uneven playing field and also means that some competitors would have to dispense with the moddy if they were to compete somewhere they're banned.)

They're very widely used in club level comps as many wish to have dual-purpose deer or foxing / F-Class rig. Check with your club's rules or competition secretary, but I'd be surprised if any say 'no'.

They aren't necessarily a great idea though. A perennial F-Class problem is hot air rising off the barrel in some weather conditions and affecting / distorting the sight picture. Mirage bands or shields are essential in some environments. A moderator makes this worse, depending on the cartridge, barrel length, and amount of powder being burned per shot. It'sd bad enough coping with a natural mirage on the range without creating your own only some inches ahead of the scope's objective lens. So, an insulated cover may be needed. The main (and good) reason for use is to avoid a new load and possibly rezeroing for a rifle set up to use one. Recoil reduction is rarely a real benefit in a full-house F rifle, but may be for a lighter dual-purpose sporting set-up.

Thanks Laurie.

My loads were developed with a mod and a brake.

Mod on hunting load and a brake on my target load.

I would say my target load would probaly shoot really well with a mod on but the hunting load with the brake on not so good.i will try it over next few weeks.i think I've tried my hunting load with the brake on.ive no idea whether they would need shortening or lengthening to make them work.ive definately not tried them without a brake or a mod.i could try that aswell while I am at it.

Hi Geordie

Is that 2 sighters and 20 after zeroing or is the 2 sighters your zeroing shots.

The moderator will still only take my rifle shy of 16lb inc bipod.i could wrap a few pound of lead around the bipod legs to weigh it down lol.

Generally I only use a matt if ground is saturated or its frosty.the family jewels are not to fond of the frozen ground.

Hi Geordie

Is that 2 sighters and 20 after zeroing or is the 2 sighters your zeroing shots.

The moderator will still only take my rifle shy of 16lb inc bipod.i could wrap a few pound of lead around the bipod legs to weigh it down lol.

Generally I only use a matt if ground is saturated or its frosty.the family jewels are not to fond of the frozen ground.

Generally most F class comps will allow one minute blow offs on the back stop as previously stated.

Then when the competition starts you are allowed 2 sighters on your target to zero in and fine tune. Then you shoot 20 rounds to count.

Your are allowed to convert your sighters to count.

Another rule is if you miss with your 2 sighters and then cannot 'get on' the target with the 1st and 2nd shots to count you are eliminated and take no further part in the competition.

No prices on fox website.anybody any idea on the price of the mystic bipod

Get one from Jerry who makes them, then you get one with a cant adjustment. If you buy over here you don't.

Archived