Is My ELR Rifle Legal in the UK?

alcesgigas

The only person talking about taking game at a mile was the OP, and being a muuuuurican, it's a thing over there....

While I'll happily engage Fig11's with mine when it's built, I wouldn't dare try take deer at anything beyond what I'd do with my 260, being honest.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only person talking about taking game at a mile was the OP, and being a muuuuurican, it's a thing over there....

While I'll happily engage Fig11's with mine when it's built, I wouldn't dare try take deer at anything beyond what I'd do with my 260, being honest.

The OP was last on here 5 minutes before the first reply on 26th Nov.

He hasn't been back, it was a hit and run post....basically a willy wave "look at me, I'm a 'Merican and can have this and do that etc"

You've all been suckered in

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-29%20at%2009.36.muttley.gif

OP

135737d1242057942-eastern-bank-media1_zp

UKV Massiv

jck_zps3vqwjdet.gif

OP

Yes_zpshqhtnwqm.gif

Maybe he's just busy tracking the moose he hit from a mile away? ;)

Rifle: .375 double

Bullet: Hornady 300 grain DGX

Distance: 70yds

Notice the exit hole :D

DR2_zpsiyjil2yl.jpg

The rabbit is left whole

DR1_zpsjwzb6yd4.jpg

Ellma fudd ? Is it wabbit season ? :lol::P:ph34r:

I can see the stalker inviting the esteemed overseas guest to carry his own rifle. Now I lug a heavy thing up the hill but I don't fancy that one.

There may be some estates that would let someone shoot at extended ranges but I would be very surprised? Its some wind call required on a shitty day up the hill to drop a stag at a mile. Or alternatively give the deer a miles head start when you wing it. Good luck on keeping up with the stalked...

It's just not gong to happen is it - I suspect the OP would find that estates are 'fully booked'.

Think a 243 norma SP100g at 200y is a tad under clout, delivering only 1165 ftlb -drop/drift 0/5"

So get a 338lapua MAGNUM and try 1000y with Lapua Swift A frame 275g delivering 880ft lb. Drop/drift only 376/93",punk!

Seriously,it's not that easy (nor perhaps quite that difficult?)

British compromise:308 at 250 -and call it stalking.

:-)

gbal

Think a 243 norma SP100g at 200y is a tad under clout, delivering only 1165 ftlb -drop/drift 0/5"

So get a 338lapua MAGNUM and try 1000y with Lapua Swift A frame 275g delivering 880ft lb. Drop/drift only 376/93",punk!

Seriously,it's not that easy (nor perhaps quite that difficult?)

British compromise:308 at 250 -and call it stalking.

:-)

gbal

I agree with all that , especially the last sentence. :)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/27/2016 at 9:35 AM, Toby said:

I didn't read into the post that the OP was planning a trip to UK, merely asking if his rifle would be legal and a british example of his type of shooting. I may be wrong though, the wife says so all the time.......

Toby nailed it.  This 99% target/steel; 1% meat rifle. It weighs 22 pounds.  In other than known ranges it's not fired unless the specific immediate firing solution was developed by my Kestrel 5700's Applied Ballistics program and the range determined by my Vectronix Terrapin.  I wouldn't bring this rifle out of the country.  I have no plans to shoot anything other than what I eat, that being specifically moose, caribou, and sheep.  It has been used on caribou--successfully--well over 800 yards.  It fulfills its mission; a full-blown modern sniper rifle used to anchor edibles in manageable locations for extraction, under conditions and circumstances that I am confident that one shot will suffice.  To stretch the sentence--no meat is wasted because all shots are a matter of choice without any desperation.  I tried to focus on the club type extreme long range (know here as ELR) fellas use of like rifles.  Today, Canadians and Americans are shooting competitively beyond two miles; recently there's been some association targeting three miles.  Russia,  NZ, Australia, Canada, US, Germany, and no doubt many I've missed have regular meets shooting a mile or more.  And, in Canada and the US, shooting of game at extended ranges is expanding exponentially, in both genders and any age.  As to suitable shooting locales it depends where one is; New Yorkers would be hard pressed to find a 1000 yard range within an hours distance while I'd have to open a window or door...  I'd be the only one hearing the shot.  I have two one-mile ranges and a 1000 yard range at my moose camp!  Did I mention how many people are within 12 miles?  None.  Treble that and one will find Alakaket, a village on the same river as my camp.

Reluctant to respond to questions raised due the possibility of offending members (or any others) I apologize as there's no intent...  We are brothers and sisters, our closest ally generally, and surely as fellow hunters and shooters I'd be ashamed to alienate anyone on this site.  Allow me to suggest some sites you may find most informative as to shooting here (many of you already been there, done that).  Long Range Hunting Magazine, Snipers' Hide, Benchrest Central, the High Road, etc.  There's a really good site in New Zealand too.

It's 1:20 AM and I've written so much I've got laryngitis!  More photos at another time.

LRKM on duty; snowy day at the shootin' shack1.jpg

LRKM on duty; snowy day at the shootin' shack2.jpg

I think that we have rather a different take on LR shooting of animals.  With the exception of vermin species, few here shoot any animals at extended ranges.  For vermin like carrion crow or fox or rabbit,  extended ranges to 600 yds may not be seen as that unusual  depending on local geography and the ability of the shot(using frangible highly effective vermin control bullets which you wouldn't use for deer).  However, very few here take medium or large game (the largest being lowland Reds) at more than 300 to 400yds, and then only because on certain areas it might be impossible to stalk closer due to terrain etc.  Most are probably taken at within 300 yds (hill) and within 100yds (woodland or mixed open lowland).  My reason for never EVER taking a shot over 250 yds on deer is because the smaller species that I stalk don't stand still for long and it only takes a fraction of a second's movement to go from an engine room shot to a ruptured gut/spoiled carcass and unnecessary suffering if it drags itself off before a follow up shot ensues.  Part of the skill is the stalk so mostly I like to get within 100 yds or ambush stalk within that distance.

At 800yds, I'd imagine a second or more allows a lot of room for error between the trigger being pulled and the animal being struck, and that's if a shooter is even capable of half moa at that distance in varied environmental conditions.  It just doesn't seem ethical to me but there we go, it takes all sorts and I'm not here to judge what anyone else does.