Which would be the best 2 ftr calibres

.300 WSM.

The reason some calibres last such a short number of firings is largely because of a combintion of hot loads/high velocities, but that's a very basic explanation - I'm sure that Laurie/Vince could explain it far better than I. I don't load my .300 WSM to F-Open velocities, but I'm still not expecting more than 1500 rounds at best.

We use either RS62 or N550 with 175gr VLDs at present, but ours is currently a 24" Tikka factory barrel used purely for informal long range shooting. When ths barrel meets its end (it's currently around 550 rounds) it'll get a longer barrel, but currently it's very accurate as it is.

Does the throat in only allow for 175gr bullet then.no surprise that a tikka shoots well.never knew they did a 300wsm.how fast are you running the 175s.sounds like it's still hme.is the 300wsm a windy day rifle and a shehane inherently more accurate than the 300 or are they a muchness.

It depends on how much you want to spend. It's quite easy to blow a barrel out in 400 rounds with some of the fast 6 or 6.5mm. Std 284s not to bad if you can get bullets.

you can only use the above calibres in f open

We use either RS62 or N550 with 175gr VLDs at present, but ours is currently a 24" Tikka factory barrel used purely for informal long range shooting. When ths barrel meets its end (it's currently around 550 rounds) it'll get a longer barrel, but currently it's very accurate as it is.

is your tikka as standard or have you restocked it etc.if yes any photos

So there is F class and f class open.

What is max calibre in F class then.

7mm is max in F class open.any particular reason why.

Is there anymore types of F class while we are on the subject.

There are only two classes in F class.

1. F/TR which can only use either .223 or .308 calibres and no other. F/TR can only use a bipod and a rear bag but not the large front rests (Seb/Farley etc). There is a weight restriction on F/TR of 8kg I think which includes the bipod.

2. F/Open can use any calibre than those in F/TR, up to I believe .357 diameter. F/Open utilises the Seb/Farley front rests and rear bag.

The weight restriction for F/`open rifles is 10kgs/22lb.

There are no further types of F class.

So there is F class and f class open.

What is max calibre in F class then.

7mm is max in F class open.any particular reason why.

Is there anymore types of F class while we are on the subject.

there is one F Class sub devided in to two disciplines FTR for .308 and .223 only and the F Open for any other calibre up to 8mm

Thanks Geordie

Is there weight added to a f class open rifle to get it to 22lbs.

How heavy would the stock be.

I know the barrels are pretty thick diameter that would contribute to the 22lbs total.as my 284 is around 14lb that's a fair bit lighter.

When making a new F class rifle for F/TR or F/Open you decide on the action/barrel/stock combination (BAT/Kreiger/Tooley MBR) you want etc and your gunsmith will also take into account the weight of the scope you intend to use. The gunsmith will then weigh all the bits and pieces and go to it.

If you have an existing rifle, weight can be added to the stock by inserting lumps of lead but if done incorrectly I assume that it can affect the balance of the rifle and cause problems.

The weight of the stock depends on the type be it made from aluminium/fibreglass/laminated wood. So an open ended answer.

Barrels come in all diameters and lengths so check up on profile types. That is where the gunsmith will determine the finished barrel length to ensure the rifle makes weight.

If you come to Diggle for an F class shoot you can check out the rifles and ask any pertinent questions.

I have seen a couple f class events at bisley on stickledown but it all seems hush hush and seened very serious.i did have a chat with Joe west about his stocks and others.it was just chance I ended up talking to him.

It is not a secret society Swaro and am sure that even during a GB F Class Association or local shooters competition at Bisley/Diggle etc after the competition is over anyone would answer any questions you would have. That is why I said if your ever up at Diggle or Bisley then just ask questions and they will be answered. Plus there are enough F class shooters on this forum to give advice.

Neil,

Perhaps you asked the wrong question? Are you thinking about starting F Class and want to know what it's all about and therefore what classes there are (Spud articulated the two classes)? Or are you simply curious as to which calibres are the favourites with those that shoot these classes.

As already mentioned, in F/ TR you are limited to .223 and .308, but I don't know anyone who shoots .223 anymore.

In F Open any calibre up to 8mm is permissible but the reality of it is that most shoot the big 6.5mm's, .284 Win, .284 Shehane, 7/270, 7mm SAUM, .300 WSM etc. etc. Of the 6.5mm calibre, most of those I know save it for the shorter distances because beating the wind is the deciding factor especially at 1000 yards and this is why you'll see the last 4 I mentioned dominating the top positions.

If your are serious about starting F Class, the suggestion made about talking to someone at a comp is good advice. When you have decided which way you want to go, have a chat with your favourite 'Smith' and get it right first time.

Getting the wrong kit is an expensive mistake.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Archived