Which would be the best 2 ftr calibres

Neil,read the refs below:the rules will give definitive answers on the Tech specs.

This covers the "must be'/can't have " like cartridges and calibre (and note the crucial difference there),as well as detail (bipod spikes cannot be more than 2" or do undue damage !)

VInce's articles cover much equipment,how it evolved and general competition aspects.It's all fairly recent-though derives from the long British Empire tradition of civilian rifle shooting with military rifles (one reason for 308/223 cartridges) and Palma shooting-indeed Canadian shooter George 'Farky' Farquherson suggested the basic idea for ageing Palma shooters who struggled with eyesight and slings-so could they have scopes and rests.What a sensible guy! This was about 1988,most rules 'stabilised' around 2003.

ICFRA International rules (see esp tech spec for rifles and ammo-this is the kind of detail needed-even if there are some local variants-HME is one such,for example;and local small clubs might modify-but there are 'proper' rules-allow for national and sometimes even, more than one international governing body.

Getting Started in F class 1,2,3 by Vince Bottomly in Target Shooter Mag (online) for plenty on the development of gear and competition and associated info.

Ask after this homework-the questions should be better.

gbal

ps my casual comment that answering the question "which two rifles should you buy for FTR?" with "308 and 223" was simply that it isn't really an answer-those are the only options ...and a sightly more informed/discussable one is " a 308w,and another better 308w" ie the 223 is a non starter(well done Laurie,saved a lot of grief),and better 308s are how it's developed,and what you now should get.

F Open is a much more choice rich ball game,but you ned to finish your reading first. :-)

gbal

It is not a secret society Swaro and am sure that even during a GB F Class Association or local shooters competition at Bisley/Diggle etc after the competition is over anyone would answer any questions you would have. That is why I said if your ever up at Diggle or Bisley then just ask questions and they will be answered. Plus there are enough F class shooters on this forum to give advice.

I've never been frightened to ask.never been backwards at going forwards.is the 300wsm the daddy then.never hear much about it.284s the shehanes and the 7mm 270 yeah.ive read about the 7mm saum on accurate shooter.i may have seen a couple on ukv but they wernt f class rifles.more tacticool.

Neil,read this (google it)

"Introduction to F class:1000 y competition" by Zak Smith (Demigod) from Guns and Ammo Oct 2007

It explains everything (except the very latest cartridges since 2007) and is VERY clear on scoring-you should be familiar anythow-bull (inc xbull) and scoring rings.

Just read it.

g

Neil,read this (google it)

Hear hear George.

To be brutally honest, Swarovski1 could avoid the majority of his many question-threads by using either the search engine on this forum or using Google. You can bet your bottom dollar that the answer to most questions is already on UKV if only you search for it.

I normally search first - i.e. here and Google - before jumping in with both size tens.

Doing this would also result in less flak in replies.

It is not a secret society Swaro and am sure that even during a GB F Class Association or local shooters competition at Bisley/Diggle etc after the competition is over anyone would answer any questions you would have. That is why I said if your ever up at Diggle or Bisley then just ask questions and they will be answered. Plus there are enough F class shooters on this forum to give advice.

How do you introduce or attract new shooters to it?

I'm at Bisley today for a few different reasons, and there are intro courses being run for CSR (Gods chosen discipline) Target Shotgun and Clay shooting, all run by the NRA and CPSA.

I know the NRA stuff is advertised on the NRA website and I imagine the CPSA have done likewise

I'm interested to hear how you F Classers go about enticing new people to take part

I could use a search engine to find out most things but like Wikipedia what you read is not always correct.use the Internet if you are feeling unwell and have certain symtoms and start self diagnosing is quite unnerving.i like real answers from real people not something somebody thinks.i don't mind getting flak it it gets me what I want to know.sticks and stones and takes one to know one was things I learned when I was a kid.funny how things stick with you.there wouldn't be any point of this forum if nobody asked questions or shared there experiences.one thing that does bore is constantly seeing photos of dead animals.jeez how many dead foxes do we need to see.them images are detrimental to forums like this.regards swaro

How do you introduce or attract new shooters to it?

I'm at Bisley today for a few different reasons, and there are intro courses being run for CSR (Gods chosen discipline) Target Shotgun and Clay shooting, all run by the NRA and CPSA.

I know the NRA stuff is advertised on the NRA website and I imagine the CPSA have done likewise

I'm interested to hear how you F Classers go about enticing new people to take part

I don't think that in general F class competitions run by the GB F Class Association or local F class shoots at various ranges actually needs any enticement (at least the ones I shoot at). Virtually all GBFCA competitions at Bisley/Diggle slots are taken up very quickly. Quite a few newbies each year take the time to go down to Bisley at the end of the year to be introduced to F class run by Mik Maksimovic et al so there is a healthy interest in the discipline.

Plus the F class European Championships run by Mik/GBFCA is held at Bisley each year is extremely popular with most top level F class shooters from around Europe and about 150 shooters attend and is sold out pretty quickly.

GBFCA has its own website which gives forthcoming dates and is also linked to the Pennine Shooting Associations website (Diggle) so the information is out there.

Plus F class is mentioned enough on this site as well, so no shortage of information on anyone who wants to shoot it.

Diggle has a comprehensive calender and F class is very popular so check out their website for forthcoming events.

Good shooting to all (whatever discipline).

Plus the F class European Championships run by Mik/GBFCA is held at Bisley each year is extremely popular with most top level F class shooters from around Europe and about 150 shooters attend and is sold out pretty quickly.

Around 250 entries now Les ... and still increasing year on year. Only Bisley now has available additional capacity to meet demand, but I understand that even here Stickledown might eventually prove limiting for the Europeans. The enlarged Diggle butts and long-range firing points with 10 targets now available (helped by GB FCA funding) and 20 competitors on the points is limited to 80 entries (4 x relays of 20) and was fully booked in under a week in this year's rounds. Blair with 48 capacity (6 targets and 4 relays of 12) sold out in under 48 hours for both 2016 rounds.

Mark, as to your question, whilst McQueens, Tactical, CSR , 'practical' disciplines are only available in a limited number of regional locations outside of Bisley to club members, almost every fullbore club in the country shoots some variant of F-Class. This isn't too surprising given that 'Target Rifle' (and 'Service Rifle' before it) was the mainstay of most club calendars and that F-Class is an offshoot of TR. Shooting at both Pickering and Diggle, the latter with its availability of up to three ranges in use at one time offers everything from Benchrest to running boar and Practical Rifle, but the former (originally the Pickering Home Guard company) with a private 300 yard range plus limited access to 500 and 600 at Strensall shoots BP, military, TR and F-Class and has three 'in-house' versions of F to accommodate almost anyone with a scoped sporting rifle through to custom builds.

Those who start shooting some sort of 'F' at a club like Pickering (and the other four or five similar regional clubs in the old Yorkshire 'Ridings') who get the bug and want to upgrade, soon hear of the F-Class Association. Lots of northern shooters (of all persuasions) make the trek to Dolphin Gun in Lincs too for advice on rebarrelling, gunsmithing, builds etc and Mik Mak is a fund of information, advice, and help for any would-be competitor. Those taking it really seriously are advised to attend the annual training weekend at Bisley where they can also use truly competitive loaner rifles. I think this will be held at Diggle in 2017 for reasons linked to Bisley's use for team training and formal events in the run-up to the 4-yearly F-Class World Championships in Canada in August, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Diggle introduction / training event were to become a regular feature in later years opening up this introduction to northern based shooters without having to travel to Bisley.

I should add Stuart Anselm (GB-FCA Chairman) and rifle builder (Osprey Rifles) in Diggle / Oldham as another northern based resource for help and advice, not to mention anybody who wants to shoot in one of the fortnightly F matches at Diggle as a visitor. There are many regular competitors there including myself and Vince Bottomley, (many others on this forum too) who are keen to help and advise anybody wanting to start up in F or to become more involved.

The 101 RC based at Altcar has several top 'Effers' mostly in FTR and has brought several newcomers into top level FTR in recent years including some always welcome ladies such as Julie Bagnall and Carrie Ryan. I'm sure Des Parr ('Desperado' on UKV) will say the same things applyto Scotland.

Take up F class and become a regular 'Effer' after all God uses a .284 Win with Berger 180gr Hybrids and a Seb max front rest and is a regular at Diggle.

You don't need to strap yourself into a leather jacket/sling/funny glasses or even dress up like a trained killer and run around huffing and puffing like Dads Army :D .

Take your time, lie down, use your brain and don't break into a sweat. What's not to like?

I could use a search engine to find out most things but like Wikipedia what you read is not always correct.use the Internet if you are feeling unwell and have certain symtoms and start self diagnosing is quite unnerving.i like real answers from real people not something somebody thinks.i don't mind getting flak it it gets me what I want to know.sticks and stones and takes one to know one was things I learned when I was a kid.funny how things stick with you.there wouldn't be any point of this forum if nobody asked questions or shared there experiences.one thing that does bore is constantly seeing photos of dead animals.jeez how many dead foxes do we need to see.them images are detrimental to forums like this.regards swaro

You just don't get it do you?

Has it ever occurred to you that your continued vague & ill-informed questions might just be plain bloody irritating and boring? Also the lack of spaces and capital letters plus confusing content often makes your posts difficult to understand.

"Which would be the 2 best FTR calibres"? Is that in the future, hypothetical ... ... ... what? There are only 2 FTR caibres, full-stop, end of ... ... ... Arghh!

THINK BEFORE YOU POST & THEN REVIEW WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN BEFORE YOU CLICK "POST".

Should be an memorable day for all involved,Neil.

I agree that there is some non sense on the net.Even in some books. It seems very likely that some of this came from 'real people'.

The concept of 'real' people -as opposed to..?? Perhaps it's just a careless phrase.Let's leave that aside.

In your search for reliable and valid information,what do you do when you speak to several 'real people' (with 'real experience')..and get several different and incompatible,answers,so that at best,all except one must be wrong,and maybe all of them are wrong?

"Opinion without fact ,is like froth without beer" Mark Twain,not a 'real person' ,of course :-)

gbal

Archived