Primer pocket uniforming

Swarovski1

Do you only do this procedure once or every firing.can I use it to clean the pockets.already did it with the new brass.fired some the week end and was prepping it again and used the uniformer to clean the pockets.it actually took a minute bit of brass off again and pockets were clean clean clean.cheers swaro

Personally I think that uniforming primer pockets just removes more brass and does nothing to aid accuracy.

I used to do it on new brass and then a light skim after each firing to remove carbon build up, but after reading an article on accuracy uniforming by a very good American benchrest/f class shooter on the top of his game, he reckoned it was a waste of time and all you are doing is removing brass which will mean your primers will loosen quicker.

It might be a good idea not to uniform initially but after firing use the tool to just remove the carbon build up and no brass.

Your choice of course if it uniforming makes you feel good, do it.

Good shooting.

I do it on new brass but just once only. If used correctly, it only takes brass from the bottom of the pocket and will, indeed, make them, of uniform depth. I think that the benefits of uniform ignition are pretty well established. I won't go as far as using a micrometer primer seater, but making sure that the pockets start out at the same depth and that the flash holes are deburred (if necessary) and uniform in their own right seems worth the effort.~Andrew

My primer pocket uniformer is set to a factory measurement.nothing coming off the sides just where primer sits against.

and thats exactly how they are meant to work

I use one on my lapua brass to clean out the carbon before they go into my ss tumbler, cuts down the time needed in the tumbler. It does remove some brass from the bottom of the primer pocket but very very little. It never takes any from the sides of the pocket so one would think that it wouldn't loosen primer pockets no matter how many times you did it. Just my thoughts tho.

Neil,plenty good advice here....

TbhG sums up the experienced BR/serious precision view-it won't help,might do minor damage-but if it feels good to you.....(see end)...

Andrew is correct-primer pocket uniformity is a factor in consistent ignition....

..but Brillo is on fairly safe ground-when it comes to brass uniformity and quality from the box,Lapua knocks 'spots off' most others in the 'spot on' department.

Sean finds gently part cleaned pockets take less time in ss (and sonic) tumblers.Though untouched fired pockets will sparkle too,with a bit more time without any risk of removing brass after a first and only uniforming (or not).

No one will ever reliably notice the differences-if any- anyhow (especially over 100+ yards!) :-)

gbal

Swaro,

It is basically up to you.

A good primer pocket reamer will just 'kiss' the bottom of the pocket to make the depth the same. no idea where this might decrease case life due to premature loose primers - my primers are gripped radially?

Does it help accuracy?? Probably at a micro level, your primer will (should) ignite the same each time as the 'timing' of the strike and compression of the anvil will (should ) be the same each time and if you are into things like this all the shock waves going up and down your barrel at speed far faster than your bullet will be the same. In real terms this is probably lost in the background noise? Who knows (cares)?

Personally I uniform all brass first off with a pocket reamer. I also happily swage LR primer pockets to LP depth (with a follow up re-swage of flash holes) when necessary. I do this as it will not hurt anything so why not do the best you can with the tools you have, bit like cleaning cases, might not make any difference but you've done your best.

Brgds Terry

Thanks terry.

I was wondering whether it will weaken the base of the case as that's where it is at its thickest.the case probaly will be

sh-gged by time there would be a problem or pockets had expanded from alot of firing.that 180gr hybrid 52.5gr rs60 load i used in my 284 sunday gave the cleanist necks I've ever had.OPW I guess

Never 'uniformed' a primer pocket before.....I get single digit and low teen ES without doing so, so fail to see the need?

Never 'uniformed' a primer pocket before.....I get single digit and low teen ES without doing so, so fail to see the need?

Exactly, hence my 'should's' and 'who knows (who cares)' above.

Do whatever you are happy with, if what you are doing works then that is all that matters in the end.

T

Very true, and I do agree the trying your best sentiment above - if you feel it makes a difference(whether it measurably does or not), it may well be enough to help. The mind is a powerful tool.

I've never felt the need personally - Ive done the odd raggedy flash hole, but nothing beyond that....

Archived