My 284

Swarovski1

A bit of a rush but I was gagging to put a few shots through my new toy.went across the fields.grass was a bit long but flattened it down a bit.laying slightly down hill.i thought I had better take a biggish cardboard box for first few shots

Things got underway well with my bore sighting very close to the mark from 100yds.i over adjusted slightly.

Walked up and swapped targets and barrel has chance to cool.i couldn't post the whole target as to big to upload.ive broke it down into smaller parts.i did let a few go but over all well pleased.obviously all loads fired for the first time.quite a few loads left to try.rear sand sock and harris pod

post-12052-0-11526400-1475270848_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-24570100-1475271260_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-60180300-1475271284_thumb.jpg

I used cci br 2's. Not sure if it was me or the load but as I said in introduction these were my first loads fired through the new barrel.i was surprised to see the odd one go when others shot good.the 52.5gr amax load were nearly perfection. It may have been the 3rd shot that went left

Nice , things looking progressiveley tighter :) is it a mckillop built ? How is recoil ? Atb

What recoil

Yes it's a Mckillop rebarrel.its a T3 action bedded into a manners T4a stock done by Ronin.i am not 100 percent sure but I may have found out why I had a few shots wander as I was seating some more to try tomorrow and it seated to easy.case had been expanded but not resized.bullet would easily push into the case with no effort at all.no neck tension

It's 99 percent sure it the shooter.zero neck tension may not of been the prob.it would of been the jump to the rifling that would of been the prob.mike it was you that said the 180gr hybrids seat smoother than scenars etc.i didn't prep the brass.i can't be the blame this time if that was the case.i am gonna try an untested load at 1000yds tomorrow.i will try a few and if they no good use my 6.5x47.the 52.5gr RS60 is a good powder charge.its the seating depth that will be the deciding factor.

It was a 8 to 10 headwind fish tailing.it was a right barsteward.i watched the flags zeroing my 6.5x47 and there would suddenly be a 2 moa drop as wind moved from 10 oclockish to 12 then around a further 2 moa when it moved to 2 o'clock then back.it caught me out most times.i certainly did better or got luckier with the 284.the untested 180gr hybrid 52.5gr RS60 load shot very well.what they are like at 100yds remains to be seen.i will load a few and check and chronograph.they were never going to shoot bad.i did get a couple of slight ejector marks but bolt was fine.it was nice to try it out at 1000yds already

I managed a respectable second place with the 284 using the untested 180gr hybrid 52.5gr RS60 load.not sure by what calibre . possibly a 308.also I don't know if it was very good shooting or getting lucky.it was that sort of wind that would blow or ease a 308 shot over one target.i was happy with result in the conditions with an untried load.only 4 shots just went off the edge off the fig11s.i had to many backer shots with the 47.definetley the worst wind to shoot in.

I did some load testing today.powders used were N165.H4831 and RS60.bullets were 162gr amaxs.180gr berger hybrids and 180gr scenar l's. I had quite a few very good group.more than I expected.i did have a little miraging at times.n165 was slowish.on it's limit at 56.5grs 2800 fps.H4831sc was slowish.i only got up to 55grs.not sure how much more the 180gr hybrids will go too.the RS60 loads are as I've been told to expect.the 52.5gr load I shot last Sunday at 1000yds were better than I thought and they chronied at 2915fps.this photo is 180gr hybrid load with 52grs of RS60.i think these were doing 2884 fps.these loads felt quite punchy.the card with the 4 orange targets on has the untested load I shot last Sunday at 1000yds.shot on its own is the clean barrel shot.

post-12052-0-00340500-1476044465_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-62216200-1476044857_thumb.jpg

post-12052-0-26033200-1476045074_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I thought its only fitting to post a photo of my 284.

It's T3 action fully bedded into a T4A manners stock.a 26 inch 1 in 9 bartlein varmint barrel . terminator brake.a shortened deben br pod on backwards so it's as far forward as possible.it weighs in at 14 lb 4oz as it is.add another 1lb 12oz for my ase utra s5 mod

post-12052-0-82627100-1478963504_thumb.jpg

I thought its only fitting to post a photo of my 284.

It's T3 action fully bedded into a T4A manners stock.a 26 inch 1 in 9 bartlein varmint barrel . terminator brake.a shortened deben br pod on backwards so it's as far forward as possible.it weighs in at 14 lb 4oz as it is.add another 1lb 12oz for my ase utra s5 mod

I never understood people mounting harris type bipods backwards.

Maybe I'm a little more aggressive in loading the bipod legs than others, but how can you apply forward force, into the bipod to hold everything solid and steady, without it wanting to fold?

Do you 'load' the bipod at all? Or do you just let the rifle recoil and bounce in firing?

Not having a go, each to their own and whatever works and all that......but I'm curious....

No loading on the pod grum it sits there under its own weight while being shot.lightly grip and softly into my shoulder to reduce wobble.further forward the pod the more stable the set up seems to be.i only use this pod on backwards.i have a cable tie around the pods legs and through the pods frame securing it into place.i think I need a pheonix pod with the attachment that needs a hole drilled into the end of the stock.i like a low pod but my super short pod need further apart legs for more stability.i keep studying the pod trying to come up with my own idea and make it myself.

Interesting.

How do you find it works for you with a rifle with less weight, and no brake or mod?

I ask as it's something I found very inconsistent - unless the bipod is well footed in the ground and a decent force applied through the shoulder and into the rifle, right up from the toes.....the rifle bounces freely on firing. I also found it particularly none forgiving if you weren't line up properly, the rifle will jump off left or right, depending on your posture.

It will definitely come back to bite you, if you're not loading the bipod and keeping the rifle in place with your body ;)

Archived