Brass annealing

247sniper

Hi guys,

1st time Annealing, using a blow tourch and drill method. How do these cases look, does the colour look right. They look very similar if not the same as when I got my brand new lapua case. What do you more experienced guys think?

Cheers.

Steve

post-10190-0-22301100-1470233026_thumb.jpg

post-10190-0-62760100-1470233034_thumb.jpg

If you are doing it to just extend the life of your cases, this looks fine - If you are hoping for extra accuracy by better controlled neck tension then I think you need some sort of machine to get consistency.

The forth case is annealed further down the case that the third. Also, the colour change is a poor indicator of correct annealing. I find that if I anneal cases that have just been cleaned with SS media I get virtually no colour change, if I leave the same cases a week before I anneal I get a typical "Lapua" blue - It just depends on the oxides present on the case.

Yeh in looking for best case life, most importantly accuracy and consistency.

As you say they do look pretty but are all different.

I'm going to get Paddy from Danes + Co rifle to do them on his AMP machine. That I believe give the only real consistent results. Normal annealing with Templeck only gets you a ball park figure although better then the drill method.

This is his machine.

If you are doing it to just extend the life of your cases, this looks fine - If you are hoping for extra accuracy by better controlled neck tension then I think you need some sort of machine to get consistency.

The forth case is annealed further down the case that the third. Also, the colour change is a poor indicator of correct annealing. I find that if I anneal cases that have just been cleaned with SS media I get virtually no colour change, if I leave the same cases a week before I anneal I get a typical "Lapua" blue - It just depends on the oxides present on the case.

Great explanation and all very true !!!

Yeh in looking for best case life, most importantly accuracy and consistency.

As you say they do look pretty but are all different.

I'm going to get Paddy from Danes + Co rifle to do them on his AMP machine. That I believe give the only real consistent results. Normal annealing with Templeck only gets you a ball park figure although better then the drill method.

This is his machine.

Nice machine.

This is mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssAYLvHIw0E

i keep annealing through red then white till they turn black lol, if only i was joking.might have over cooked mine this time.

Seriously, you get them past cherry red? !!!! They will be knacked

About a hundred man hours in thinking it all out - say £30 per hour. :)

And here is the part folks do not factor in - it's just not the physical production of anything it's all the associated effort and costs in development.

I've forked out for the AMP for two reasons, primarily I wanted a simple, consistent and 'instant' process, secondary I did not want to be using a flame in my cellar. The AMP answers all of this, not cheap, but very good.

T

And here is the part folks do not factor in - it's just not the physical production of anything it's all the associated effort and costs in development.

I've forked out for the AMP for two reasons, primarily I wanted a simple, consistent and 'instant' process, secondary I did not want to be using a flame in my cellar. The AMP answers all of this, not cheap, but very good.

T

Will you be annealing brass for UKV members with the AMP ;)

T

Ive stuck a 1000 or mine since having and comapring it to the Vertex which was my commercial annealer there is no comparison. The AMP as you say Dan is safer to use as well i like the no flame ideas especially with over 300 kgs of powder in the house

Will you be annealing brass for UKV members with the AMP ;)

247Sniper ...&*(& .. sorry, cannot hear you ...&^*%... not got ..(*&^&*... very good ...&^%*(.... reception! :D

Ive stuck a 1000 or mine since having and comapring it to the Vertex which was my commercial annealer there is no comparison. The AMP as you say Dan is safer to use as well i like the no flame ideas especially with over 300 kgs of powder in the house

Does this mean you be selling your Vertex...... ;)

i keep annealing through red then white till they turn black lol, if only i was joking.might have over cooked mine this time.

If the necks have gone red then apart from the neck being "knackered" I seriously wouldn't attempt to use them, without an accurate measurement you have no idea of how hot the case head got, that could at worst prove fatal :(

Can someone explain how this machine is $700+ in the states but nearly $1,500 over here?

Us Brits getting the dirty end of the stick again.

Danny.

Can someone explain how this machine is $700+ in the states but nearly $1,500 over here?

Us Brits getting the dirty end of the stick again.

Danny.

??????

On the AMP web site it states $995, so brining it to the Uk 'legally' you add import duty at say 7%, brings us to $1065, now put 20% VAT onto this item cost and whatever it costs to ship them over (say $30 a unit) comes to approx. $1314

Current price (no pun! :) ) in UK £1125 = $ 1460

So you are 'paying' $146 (about £110) for someone to do the work for you brining it in and delivery to you a working item and support you with warrant on an electronic item that is subject to hard (hot/irregular) use.

You don't expect much do you?

Brgds Terry

??????

On the AMP web site it states $995, so brining it to the Uk 'legally' you add import duty at say 7%, brings us to $1065, now put 20% VAT onto this item cost and whatever it costs to ship them over (say $30 a unit) comes to approx. $1314

Current price (no pun! :) ) in UK £1125 = $ 1460

So you are 'paying' $146 (about £110) for someone to do the work for you brining it in and delivery to you a working item and support you with warrant on an electronic item that is subject to hard (hot/irregular) use.

You don't expect much do you?

Brgds Terry

We arnt making 100's out of these

Im going to try this unit out, if it seems good Ill bring one back from the USA when Im there in December ;)

Im going to try this unit out, if it seems good Ill bring one back from the USA when Im there in December ;)

Credit card warning - trying this product could induce a feeling to spend!! :)

Archived