Epoxy to fill GRS stock

I have a GRS Beserk stock and I do like it but there to much flexibility in the fore end for my liking. Spoke to Matt at HPS-tr and he suggested filling the void in the fore end. He said to use more of a liquid two pack so if flows better but he couldn't remember the make he has used in the past.

What would you all suggest. I would like something that will not shrink when cured as I think it would pull away from the sides of the stock. I will put a couple carbon rods in to stiffen it more so I want something that will flow.

Thanks for If it is black then even better.

Phil

I've done this on cheap Houge stocks with rods and fiberglass, it works but adds a bit of weight. First one I did used Brownells glass bedding kit, the others automotive repair kit. Brownells flows a little better still had to work it around with a stick.

Activate,

I've seen folks use carbon fibre arrow shafts and a 'filler' of some description to add stiffness with minimal weight.

A bedding kit would probably be the best 'glue'

T

The stocks are made of a type of nylon. You will have a hell of a job making anything stick to it. Thats why I don't bed them.

Never easy to improve or bed injection moulded stocks like sps/lite or the one mentioned. Epoxy has difficulties to glue to these materials. The other problem is that even if the forend is stiffened the stock bends just after the bedding area. I never understood why one would replace a plastic factory injection moulded stock with another plastic injection moulded stock.?

edi

3M DP 8005 or DP 8010 are what I use when working with low surface energy plastics. Might be worth a try.

^^^ This! Also the glass filled version for your application. In a former life I used this in underwater cabling system connectors, it was dubbed 'SLS' - sticks like snot. :)

T

This is covered in detail in Nathan Fosters book on Accurizing and maintainence. I would emphasise that I have no experience of this technique so cannot verify it in any way but he roughs up the surface with a heated wire or slow speed Drexel first and creates overhangs in the stock to promote a mechanical interlock for the epoxy. He uses his own proprietary bedding material. Feel free to PM me if you want more detail from the book.

I have used the aluminium pan scourers cut to the shape you want as a reinforcing medium, it adds strength and reduces the weight of the resin significantly.

Stronger than just resin alone.

Archived