6mmbr bullet choice

Grouse

Over the years have got fed up with QC of Hornady bullets, actual bullet QC variance in lengths etc, but also with performance on foxes (105 A max can be devastating then pass throughs in others)

Liked the Berger 80gr varmint, but availability issues and a pass through on another last week, my supply is running low and am considering changing - what do you recommend?

Would like a good BC for long range, good availability, great on vermin, good QC.

Anybody using Sierra TMK in 6mmbr?

I've just had the worst ever box of 123gr amax . Incredible difference only had 16 the same in the box of 100. I'm thinking tmk or bergers now

I've just had the worst ever box of 123gr amax . Incredible difference only had 16 the same in the box of 100. I'm thinking tmk or bergers now

In a way I'm glad it isn't just me that finds Amax lacking now...

I have not had any issues with the a-max but found the Availability of the 80 grain bergers really bad. I'm just in the process of getting a new barrel on my 6x47 lapua but I'm not looking forward to using the a-max if new batches are as bad as that. I might try the 88 grain Berger as I can get them without any problems at the moment. I hope hornady get these issues sorted out.

in any 6mm a very good bullet is the 70gn sierra blitz king i use these in a 6x47 -1-8 twist for vermin also used them years ago in a 6mmbr i had

in any 6mm a very good bullet is the 70gn sierra blitz king i use these in a 6x47 -1-8 twist for vermin also used them years ago in a 6mmbr i had

Have a box of these, can you remember your load, have N133, N135, N140 and re15 powders - would think N135 might be the powder of choice?

Cheers...

I hope hornady get these issues sorted out.

I wouldn't hold your breath , for instance , take the HMR quality issues thats gone on far too long , id hope theyd sort that because i had a georgous 1517 TH Annie but in the end got rid fed up of waiting , such a waist of peoples time money and they just seem to get worse quality / batch wise . Im pretty much switching from hornady 105 to sierra once all my 105 are gone . The risk of buying 500 more only to find there shyte im just aint going to risk OFF Topic sorry.

But Dont discount Nosler too they seem better quality and seem to do ballistic tips in quite a few different weights that would be suitable for foxy . Sierra do blitz kings in 6mm 55grainers and heavyer which i have but haven't tried them yet , but heard there very good ! Im going to try the 95 TMKs soon in a 6br so will post results , my only worry is my frebore is .104 thou the sierra 95s are fairly shorter , less bearing surface , but they may be very good . Good luck switching bullets

Have a box of these, can you remember your load, have N133, N135, N140 and re15 powders - would think N135 might be the powder of choice?

Cheers...

Not sure if this helps, but the accuracy load in the 5th Edition of Sierra Reloading manual for the 6 mm BR and the 70 gr Blitzking is 29.3 gr of N135: COAL 2.150", approx 3,000 fps from a 26" 1:8" barrel.

Not sure if this helps, but the accuracy load in the 5th Edition of Sierra Reloading manual for the 6 mm BR and the 70 gr Blitzking is 29.3 gr of N135: COAL 2.150", approx 3,000 fps from a 26" 1:8" barrel.

Yes it is a help, thanks...

Yes it is a help, thanks...

Glad to be of service ;)

PS That load level of 29.3 gr was also the max in the book. The starting load was 27.8 gr, this giving approximately 2,900 fps.

Just loaded up 20 rounds 6br with different oal . will report back later . I'd seated out some as far as I dare until the runout was almost 1 thou on the concentricity gauge ...got a few more to try ...

post-11882-0-89918200-1466947041_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-29822200-1466947062_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-23567700-1466947077_thumb.jpg

I'm test

Just loaded up 20 rounds 6br with different oal . will report back later . I'd seated out some as far as I dare until the runout was almost 1 thou on the concentricity gauge ...got a few more to try ...

ing

I'm testing too today, between showers!

Using around 30.5gr N140 2905fps

(Slight pressure/ejector stamp with 31gr)

Altering seating depth now, look promising at moment...

Testing done , weather was less than perfect variable wind switching etc gggrr. Hopefully my PIC will upload . I fired 3 shots to warm up and used my worked up pet load with the 105 Amax this is top left group \ goddam wish I'd fired 5 shots now !!!

I used my usual powder H4895 and put in 29 grains throughout. I didn't bother finding the Max col ( as in touching lands ) as my throat is too long but I may just try it too see how much bullet is being held! Anyway the four 5shot groups weren't amazing but one showed a little better than the others @2369 col . so may now replicate that col but now do an ocw test to see if it tightens up further , but I could also try varget too - a well known accuracy powder!

PS all shot at 200 yards not 100!

post-11882-0-68643100-1466962950_thumb.jpg

Have a great load with lapua brass, cci primer, 31.3gr varget, 87gr v-max seated 10 thou off giving 3160fps out of a 28" border barrel.

Have 500 tmks enroute to try with either varget or h4895.

Cheers...

sorry for the late reply-31.5gns -n135 - fed primers in 8 twist cooper

Cheers, looking at the 95 STMK first...

I did an coal test today seating the 95 TMK far out to touch the lands , with a dummy round , 2399 thou ( cheaked runout again at 1thou so good enough ) , so now i guess iv gotta do another live fire test from 2385 - 2399 !!!! Looking forward to results . I didn't think id get near my lands with the .104 freebore , sweet !!!

Good place to raise some serious concern especially with Hornady,,please nobody trust going from one lot/batch to another or even assuming all bullets in the same box are the same,,,THEY CAN BE WAY OUT ,,in as much as I have seen as much as 40 thou difference in touching lands measurement using "Ogive" with Hornady 75 VMax. Check for example all bullets in a lot and even in a box have same overall length for starters,,,same base to bushing ogive and above all test in your own barrel and take an ogive measurement to work with not an OAL....Without care you can way out on your off lands measurement or stuffing rounds hard into lands without knowing.I am guessing but all of you having problems with load development trying this and that etc are actually struggling with shortcomings in bullet manufacture/consistency.Good quality bullets,,,say Berger for example will in my experience bring far far greater performance from any lot/batch/box all of the time if your looking for tiny groups,,,unfortunately they don't provide the V/A/Max "Vermin" performance.I,ve a stash of selected 105 Amax to use up but a 500 box of measured all the very very same 95TMK,s will hopefully be an onoging replacement,,,,,,O

Think I,ve put this up before somewhere,,,anyway it may help someone if considering having a 6br build/rebarrel/reamer selection or come to that any 6mm build just to see where a 60 thou reamer will position a 95 TMK in a 6mm neck at Jam,,,

post-41-0-09575500-1467117399_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Think I,ve put this up before somewhere,,,anyway it may help someone if considering having a 6br build/rebarrel/reamer selection or come to that any 6mm build just to see where a 60 thou reamer will position a 95 TMK in a 6mm neck at Jam,,,

attachicon.gifIMG_0279 (2).JPG

Thanks for this.

I am just about to rebarrel to 6BR and am thinking about freebore length.

I plan to use mid weight bullets ~80gn for varminting where the accepted internet advice was about 80 thou freebore.

Despite using mid weight bullets I was also considering using a 1:8" twist barrel that might enable the use longer bullets as the throat wears, but perhaps a 1:10" should shoot the mid weights better.

Your welcome Guesty,,,,I,m happy to dummy load and photograph some bullets in a 60 thou freebore chambered at touching lands[using an original chambered barrel stubb],,,,I have 105 Amax,,87 and 75 Vmax,, Berger105 Hybrid,s and 105 and 90 BT,s,,80 and 70 FB,s..With such a long neck you can make a compromise FB work,,,the 80fb will easily look after all the 105,s,,,,and 87 Vmax,,,the,70 ,75,s and 80, will be well up the neck and if this is going to be main use then a 60fb will be a better choice and still allowing the 105,s to just sit above shoulder area,,,just!,,,perhaps more comfortable after 500 rounds or so.....Some smiths,,,perhaps most will be able to cut throats exactly to what you want and better advise but the above is what I have found over quite a few rebarrels over the years.My next rebarrel is going to be another 1:12 and a 30fb specifically for the 70 to 80,s,,,regds ,,O

Your welcome Guesty,,,,I,m happy to dummy load and photograph some bullets in a 60 thou freebore chambered at touching lands[using an original chambered barrel stubb],,,,I have 105 Amax,,87 and 75 Vmax,, Berger105 Hybrid,s and 105 and 90 BT,s,,80 and 70 FB,s..With such a long neck you can make a compromise FB work,,,the 80fb will easily look after all the 105,s,,,,and 87 Vmax,,,the,70 ,75,s and 80, will be well up the neck and if this is going to be main use then a 60fb will be a better choice and still allowing the 105,s to just sit above shoulder area,,,just!,,,perhaps more comfortable after 500 rounds or so.....Some smiths,,,perhaps most will be able to cut throats exactly to what you want and better advise but the above is what I have found over quite a few rebarrels over the years.My next rebarrel is going to be another 1:12 and a 30fb specifically for the 70 to 80,s,,,regds ,,O

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, that was just the info I was hoping to find.

I will go for a 1:8" barrel and 0.060" freebore as that appears to be the best compromise for me.

I have had a 6BR before for a short while, a Norman Clark converted Musgrave single shot target rifle. It had a Pac Nor 1:8" barrel that was great with 107gn Sierras but not so good with the 70gn bullets that were not long enough to get near the lands.

6BR has somewhat captured my imagination and I predict that I will have quite a few barrels over the coming years.

Archived