Diggle Fly Shoot - 31st July

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was an awesome day. I was geared up for 48 max but 78 turned up to shoot! 25 flies were assassinated.

Bruce Lenton will post full results link shortly but, in brief, we were 'tatered by Stuart Anselm of Opsrey Rifles shooting his Victrix 308 FTR rifle!

Vortex Optics supported us, bringing a full range of scopes and spotting scopes with Dave Taylor winning the binoculars raffle and everyone got a Vortex cap.

Triggersqueezer got small-group with a 1.8 incher.

Oh - and it didn't rain!

Did trigger do small group with his 6BR ? Well done will come next year !

Here you go folks, another great Fly shoot (thanks to Vince and his team)

Results are available from the link below, small groups are highlighted in BOLD font.

3 classes, Factory, Custom and Rascal (Under 12)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzd3i8jbvcxgpu1/Fly%20Shoot%20Scorebook%202016.pdf?dl=0

Cheers

Bruce

Bloody Dropbox. Can somebody copy and paste results for us.well done Mike on the smallest group.you didn't let me down then

28 hits on the fly, well done you lot, just aswell it wasnt the eggshoot, you would of ran out of eggs .

Given up,

Enjoyed the day, but my shooting was naff lol the wind as usual caught allot out. 1st attempt so plenty of room for improvement. Nice chats with some of the guys there, very helpfull bunch of folk.

Thanks for the day Diggle gang.

You get 15 shots at the Fly plus sighters - Egg shoot is one shot - no sighters.

oh I didnt realise that, I thought you shoot for smallest group at each range at the fly and your hits only count on the fly at 500yds and again the smallest group.it was fairly breezy sunday in and around bath,which angle was the wind coming from and at what speed, I went out sunday evening and had a couple of bunnies,380 and 414yds, fox bait

The problem is at Diggle you can measure the wind at the firing point,dial in the correction only to find that you actually don't need it as the down range wind has a auto corrected. Very frustrating. That's what makes it so challenging.

I will try at 500yds at a 1 inch target depending where I go out this evening just to embarris myself.my last attempt was 2.7 inches.6.5 06 had alot less rounds through it then.it seems to shoot well until barrel get hot.

You can't compare shooting at Diggle 10.00 - 15.00 with an evening shoot. If the comp were to be held on the range on a typical summer's evening, scores would rise dramatically because of the generally much lighter and more settled winds after 16.00-17.00.

I and members of my relay suffered a near 1-MOA drop-off between sighting-in and the first score shot putting almost everybody 'right'. Unfortunately, shooting a 223, it took four shots before I managed to find the small shot-holes hiding in the right-hand arm of the 'V', so that was 40 potential points wasted. In the short time gap between groups 2 and 3, most of the right wind reappeared, and that caught a lot of people out judging by the groans and curses on the firing point. (The only flag in use for this comp is the red mantlet 'range in use' flag, all other flagpoles left empty.)

I totally agree though my 2.7 inch group was an afternoon.

Ranges all seem to have strange winds that are Unpredictable diggle sounds a perfect example.bisley can be but it's not situated like diggle.sennybridge.sailsbury is strange too . undulating ground.

I am sure it would get boring laurie if you were hitting the fly most times, its not good having the book of excuses and not using them, i have several volumes of them now and currently writing another lol.

and don't forget you have the added pressure shooting in a comp and wanting to do well has Laurie said Diggle is Diggle a law to its self just get up there and have a go then you will know

Archived