F.A.C. Conditions

JTO

My F.A.C. does not differentiate between assembled rounds and expanding heads under the amounts allowed to be held. Thinking about working up loads and the number of different weights and different types of bullets for each calibre, I have asked, at time of variation, to have the number increased from 700 to 1000 and the Firearms chap has asked why I feel I need so many. I have been since told that some certificates list the expanding heads and assembled rounds separately. Is there anyone here with this type of differentiation on their F.A.C. ? If so, how many? Calibres are .223. and .308.

I typically am allowed to hold between 600-1200 loaded centrefire rounds dependant on cartridge and a bit more for rimfire and it does not differentiate between expanding and solids. I did challenge this and was told that is the way it is (Lincolnshire) In theory these agreed numbers will include loaded ammunition and expanding bullets.

Cheers! I used to have able to purchase : 1000 and possess : 1200 so that I could buy a large batch all the same, for reloading, but cut it down to 700(possess), not realising that all the expanding heads were included in the total. Put in for a 2-for-2 variation, getting rid of 2 calibres, and my requested totals have been queried. Quite happy to be limited to c300 assembled rounds in each calibre, with bullets listed separately. Target bullets, even hollow points, don't need to be entered on the FAC.

I keep a log of all of my shooting overland so I can justify it to the FEO should he ever ask. I also do a fair amount of range work as well and that all gets logged. I have a reasonable number of firearms so I make sure they get cycled nicely to demonstrate their use.

Bullets and completed ammunition are listed separately on my FAC

That may be because I added bullets as separate items when I applied for a variation at the time I started reloading

Cheers

Bruce

Mine just lists the number of expanding bullets, as in "assembled ammunition" so I can buy and hold as many bullets as I want (although I don't....I never exceed the amount stated on my FAC....just in case another FEO has a different interpretation which is where one's liable to be caught out). I had this conversation with my FEO not too long back and the response was to buy what I wanted but to record what I had made up at any one time as the onus is on me to prove (or record) what I am holding if there's a random inspection. It's a bit of a loophole that I see being closed in the not so distant future but as long as you don't buy more bullets (heads are parts of brass cases ;) ) than stated as "expanding ammunition" on your FAC, I'd have thought that would be the safe position. Same goes for my target ammunition. I keep records for that even if not required to.

Reading all the discussions on various forums, it sounds like people experiment with lots of different bullet weights and bullet types when working up loads for individual rifles. I know I like to. Once a suitable load is arrived at, I can see it would be feasible to dispose of unwanted bullets for field use in a .223, but someone going after different quarry species with a .308 could quite easily feel the need for 3-4 different bullet weights. If people use range days for practicing, there is no point in using different ammunition for keeping one's eye in.

So, what quantities of expanding missiles are you being allowed to be separately held in each calibre?

I read somewhere that expanding ammunition is going to revert to being uncontrolled, as it used to be, so these discussions may soon become academic.

A Conservative MP has proposed an amendment to that effect, but it's by no means certain that the the amendment will become law.

Cheers

Bruce

My fac's permit me to hold and acquire 500 missiles (projectiles) for each of my CF calibres, in addition to my assembled rounds. In truth there were only 2 different weights I wanted in my .223, a 60 grain bullet for Muntjac and a lighter 40 grain rabbit and foxing round.

With the ammunition shortage, and experimentation, I ended up buying a variety of bullet weights due to availability, not now sticking to one bullet weight for ranging and dialling in and to gain experience and knowledge of the one bullet weight.

Reading through the guide on firearms licensing law 2016 recently to construct a presentation on gun law and safety for my son's Scout troop, under the ammunition section it does imply that hand loaders will not be looked on unfavourably if they request an increase in ammunition count to allow for, or for reasons of load development.

The quantity of ammunition on your FAC includes the rounds you have assembled and doesn't just apply to purchased ammunition. (section 13.88)

Section 13.84 is the start of the text referring to home or hand loading. 13.90 mentions separate allocation of expanding missiles to allow development.

Regards

Mark

Archived