When's a barrel blank become a firearm

Well bit of forward thinking really but basically I bought my 595 18months ago and I've no idea as to its round count so my line of thinking is, have an ear open for a barrel blank in a decent make and should one arise then bag it and sit it till its needed.

Now the real question is can I store a blank ''unchambered'' barrel without having to go through the rigmarole of a variation? At this moment

If I remember correctly ''and I may well be wrong'' a barrel isn't a firearm until it's chambered and until that happens it's just a metal tube with a hole in it

All help greatfully received

SP

Not exactly correct as a revolver barrel for example doesn't have a chamber, and would only become a component part when threaded.

You have to take the particular firearm in question into consideration, but if it isn't chambered or threaded then you are OK.

Where would an old barrel that's been cross sectioned at the chamber and up into the throat fall within the law?

Where would an old barrel that's been cross sectioned at the chamber and up into the throat fall within the law?

I personally wouldn't consider it an issue.

A RFD has the legal ability to destroy components such as barrels, and in my opinion this would be the case here.

When I destroy a barrel I buy a bandsaw through the front of the chamber end threads, effectively cutting the chamber in half, and thus with no threads and only a bit of a chamber, it's 'destroyed' at that point.

But as I also mostly distraught profile barrels, it's no issue for me to also bandsaw through at all the profile steps, which makes it look much less like a barrel when I take them in for scrap

Anyone know where barrel blanks can be bought in the UK without getting the "we only supply the gun trade" routine ?

H/man

Sorry, I should have said anyone apart from Brian.............I have one lined up from him.

H/man

Sorry, I should have said anyone apart from Brian.............I have one lined up from him.

H/man

GB barrels will make you anything you want , tidy rate, number of grooves, profile

But Brian always has a very good stock in off the shelf

Archived