NECK CLEANING

varminter

I also use the crazy cloth, got mine from sinclair, works very well.

Guest varmartin

Been using Peek paste cleaner for a while, got mine from Mallets in Truro.

Same stuff Sinclair sell re-branded.

Martin

bj010yw2.jpg

Hi Chaps,

seen the responses on the subject and all seem fine, apart from the fact that one has to do each case separately. I had the same problem with messy, smoky cases, but I spoke to a friend (many of who may also know- Mike Norris) and subsequently found the same advice in a posting in the Varmint Hunter Magazine website:

- get Cillit Bang (from any supermarket)

- make a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part Cillitbang (need to remove the nosle, else you will be spraying foam for ever!)

- drop all cases in and leave them overnight

- take out of solution and rinse with warm water.

- place in oven (120degrees C or so) for 10-15 minutes. The cases may come out of the oven looking the colour of dark honey; don't worry about that: once you tumble them (next step) they clean up no problem.

- tumble as per usual

have done this for both my .204 and 6mmBR cases and they come out looking new. Not only that, but the primer pocket is also clean, or if there is any residue, it cleans up very very easily.

I have had no signs of corrosion on the cases and have not noticed any increase in case losses since i have started using this method. And it definitely needs no elbow grease, so it takes the thumbs up from me!

Hope this helps.

Finman

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better have a gun and not need it, rather than need one and not have it...

• 2 years later...
Guest varmartin

Im still using Brasso ( the wadding stuff )on the very same cases as when first posted back in 07......

not had one split neck or a hard to size case yet ...so i guess the ammonia in it does zero harm ...

Hi Dude,,

Get some krazy cloth, Fantastic stuff,,,

Phone Steve at trent firearms,,,,

But what i fined is that if you clean them as soon as you get home, it comes clean easy???

Has not had time to go hard??? So to speak

Darrel

got my krazy kloth today and now with ultrasonic cleaner going full pelt and tumbling i have nearly got to the point of not wanting to shoot my cases in case i mess them up

has anybody had any problem with on your skin, i am just asking as i have very sensitive skin

Sinclair International do an impregnated cleaning cloth called the Krazy Kloth that wipes all but the heaviest fouling straight off. It comes in a little plastic globe-shape snap-together bubble container.

It's not a shooting product - apparently on general sale in the USA - and is used over there for heavy-duty cleaning of things like burned on stains on oven hobs, electric irons and suchlike.

It's not cheap by the time it gets here, so I keep looking for an equivalent in our shops but have yet to find one.

It's always said don't use Duraglit or Brasso because of the ammonia, but I really can't see it having an effect if wiped off straightaway.

One tip I've heard, and always meant to try, is to spray fouled case-necks with WD40 straight after shooting, leave them for a little while (like 10 or 15 minutes) then wipe the muck off. This might work with the really hard residues that you get from some ball powders. I've had excellent results accuracy and velocity-wise from Czech manufactured Accurate Arms AA-2460 and AA-2520 in some cartridges, (they're cheap too) but won't use them because of the hassle in cleaning case necks afterwards.

Laurie

Hi,

I have the Krazy Cloth and also use WD40 (particularly helpful on the piston of my AL391 after a day's pigeon shooting! works a dream, should take a picture of the thing to convince you...shiny as the day I bought it).

As some had concerns regarding my regime (see 4-5 messages above), I am happy to report that I have been soaking the same batch of 6mmBR, .204Ruger and 6.5x55 cases for the last year or more (well every time I shoot them that is, they haven't been soaking for a year!) and the 6mmBR are in their 7th loading, the .204 in their 8th loading and the 6.5x55 in their 6th loading. I have lost the occasional case due to a split neck, but I think this is more a case of hardening due to resizing rather than the CilitBang. Works every time!

DSC00347.jpg

(the 7x57 is new)

best wishes,

Finman

Interesting. I just discovered this thread and have learned about some products I'd never heard of! One is "Cillit Bang" - which sounds like something you'd order in an Indian restaurant; I looked on their website, and most of the variant CB products are listed as being unsuitable for brass...

Peek sounds good, but first I'll try the white vinegar & water tip, followed by Brasso and Solvol Autosol. I've been prepping brass for many years but never really bothered to do more than washing and tumbling in a vibratory machine, but now I have some rather grimy old cases to buff up.

TonyH

Got an ultrasonic tumbler BUT haven't found anything that gets shot brass clean.

What are the safe recipes please???????

Did PM you ages ago RedFox but cannot remember you getting back with a "brass" safe formula.

Cheers NW

Archived