NECK CLEANING

varminter

Hi guys , just wondering - how do you clean your necks??? ( and dont say with soap and water or shower gel :lol: :lol: )..

I have been using 0000 grade fine wire wool to take off powder burn resedue , A good friend of mine uses brasso which does a great job.....

All the best............

RAY.............. :D;)

I used to use wire wool like you but now i just chuck them in the ultrasonic cleaner.I was told never to use brasso as it can weaken the case due to ammonia in it,i would have thought with the tiny bit that is needed and how often it was done though it would be fine.

Guest varmartin

Hi, I used to use wire wool for a while but it made my fingers sore ( I'm sensitive like that :lol: :lol: )

Then I tried Kroil and a bit of butches, that works ok but leaves a bit of carbon on the necks still.

Lately I have been using Brasso then putting them straight in the tumbler and the come out sparkling....not sure of any long term effects with the ammonia though???

Martin

Guest steyrman2

hi i use cq55 after neck sizeing i put themi a tub with cold water add some cq55 leave them for ten mins the water turns a blue colour then rinse with hot water leave to dry clean the primer hole there as good as new idont tumble the cases anymore did not like the finish on cases also youcan reuse the liquid a number of times ikeep it in a bucket with a lid on it and strain it before i use it works uery well

Ive been using Citric Acid! I buy it from boots make a solution up then soak my brass in the solution, I check them every say 10 mins and eventually the staining will come of with a gentle rub of the neck with your fingers! I seen this tip in a DVD I was given a loan of an it does work the brass is nice and sparkling clean after using this method.

Guest varmartin

I wouldn't mind checking out her brass , and i reckon the staining will come off with a genital rub too :lol: :lol:

Seen that in a DVD aswell ;)

Martin

I use a Lee "Zip Trim" for trimming my cases so it is very easy for me to trim, deburr, and then give it a pull through for a swipe with the 0000 steel wool. Lee recommended this method in one of their manuals and it works well for me. I used to do a diluted vinegar solution soak by quit. This is faster and better.~Andrew

hi all

i have been using 50% solution white vinger and tap water then 6 mins in the ultrasonic tank a good rinse in warm water cases look quite clean after, didnt know about the ammonia, and if their is carbon on the neck give the neck a quick wipe with brasso. works for me ian :lol:

If the water turns blue the cq55 must have ammonia in it, weakens the brass!

I wouldnt use wire wool either, bits in case gets into the nice shiny neck area of your chamber! ugh.

A little staining is really not important on the neck area. If it bothers you the RCBS polish powder used with corncob ( or Walnut) will take it off if you leave them going in the tumbler couple of hours or more.

In the Ultrasonic the best stuff I have found is the RS Components non ammonia cleaner/ carbon remover pt no 198-4915, I posted details under the topic Ultrasonic cleaners.

You can buy a pretty good 100 watt ultrasonic unit on ebay for £47.50, it will easily clean 20+ cases at one go. If you want to do larger quantities at once you need a bit more power, which costs more.

I tend to use 20-30 cases in the bigger calibres until they are done then prep another batch, in the 17,222 etc I do 50 cases at a time.

The other thing to think about with wire wool, is you are very innacurately removing metal from the neck each time, cant help with accuracy.

Redfox

For buffing English shotgun actions the Trade uses a very soft wire brush with an assortment of compounds. The brushes are approx 6" in diam and 1" wide. The bristles are about 1.5-2" long when new. Used on a normal 8" bench grinder instead of the grit wheel they are super for neck cleaning when used dry.

The brush is very gentle and you can happily touch it with the back of your hand (gently) when spinning without hurting yourself.

I had one given to me some 20 years ago and have only just changed it for a new one.

It has never harmed my cases and if you use just a wee bit extra pressure as you do the neck edge it nicely buffs the sharpness off without actually rounding it.

Hi all thanks for your comments :lol:

Redfox just to let you know that i am running a very tight tolerance with my neck turning so case must be clean and so must my chamber.....

After i wire wool the case neck i always wipe with soft cloth and then brush case mouth before resizing with redding comp die set then its into the case tumbler..........

Thanks as always..............

All the very best............

RAY.......................... :D;)

Steel wool bits in the chamber? You've seen this? I haven't. In my case, and as should be with all sensible shooters, the cases are blown clean afterward and the inside neck brushed. I am currently only cleaning Hornet necks. The Lil Gun loads I'm using leave the neck a little smoky so I clean them. I did notice that the wool was getting a brassy finish on it but it's polished the same two 100-piece lots of Hornet brass at least a dozen times now. We still get half MOA consistently from our CZ Americans so I doubt if there is any effect on accuracy in my case. ~Andrew

use brasso, its only on for a split second then wiped off. I have NEVER had any issuses and some top benchrest shooters use it too.

try solvol autosol its kinder if you are worried about brasso

I get over 10 firings from 300wm but have gone to 14 and in the 30's from 243 or 308 and have only ever had one split case after only one firing so had nothing to do with the braso and was the 300wm

ray you can try solvol next time you camp round :unsure::blink:

if you don't want to tumble your cases there is a cloth on the market called a 'crazy cloth' . it is a small cloth about 6" square and comes in a small plastic bubble case. The dirtier it gets the better it cleans! It works extremely well on case necks and does not harm the brass.

And we will get this cloth from?????

My necks come out just fine from the tumbler I do sometimes ues silvoglit that works a treat, all depends on time. Failing that Ray try a brisk rub with a flannel or a Loofer :unsure::blink:

(Someone had too)

And we will get this cloth from?????

My necks come out just fine from the tumbler I do sometimes ues silvoglit that works a treat, all depends on time. Failing that Ray try a brisk rub with a flannel or a Loofer :unsure::blink:

(Someone had too)

Nigel,

I got my cloth from Trent Firearms . Tel : 01782 302937.

How about Peek (www.tri-peek.com)

we use it at work to polish any metal.

Also great to take scratches out of mobile

phone screens. Not chemicaly aggresive

but a bit messy to work with.

Get it in any hardware store.

edi

Archived