20X47.....anyone using one ??

I've got a Stiller Predator repeater action in an AX stock in 6.5X47 which cycles really well....had this built to replace a .243 AI which I had fallen out of love with........however i'm back in love with the Ackley !!!

I'm considering re-barrelling the 6.5 into a 20X47, and wondered if anyone has one and what are the general thoughts ? I'm looking for 204 levels of performance (4000fps ish with 40grn bullets) or similar....what are your thoughts ?

My 'smith already has the reamer in stock for the 20X47 but I was also wondering if anyone has built or used a 22X47 and what the thoughts on this calibre are as well ?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

Regards, Rob.

Well, you have the .20 Satan, the Mk 1 uses the 6x47 Swiss Match necked down to .204", the Mk 2 the 6.5x47 Lapua neck down to .204.

Gunmart (Bruce Potts) did an article on it.

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/wildcatting_.20_satan

I'm building a 22x47 in an 8 twist currently, hoping to use the 69r TMK as fodder, not sure on velocity etc yet. Also doing a .20 Dasher for Mr Potts, which should be fun. I've done .20ppcs before and they will achieve 4k fps with 40r Berger, with 28gr N133, I doubt the extra 12gr case capacity of the 20x47 will yield much more than 150-200fps more. Interesting project however.

Thanks so far guys.......

My thoughts were that with a larger case running a long way from max that i should be able to get .204 performance without building a barrel burner, of course i've already got a good supply of cases but was wondering whether the 6.5x47 could be necked down to .20 in one go or whether it would have to be done in stages ??

Regards, Rob.

I'd be inclined to run with a 22 x 47 rather than the 20 , I've had a 20 BR and 4,000 ft is fine with the 40's , An old friend had a Satan just after Potts and never really had any joy , I also think Ballistic Hamster has had one and he now swears by the 22BR .

If your intent on a 20 then i'd run a BR case at 4,000 rather than the 47 case .

Just my thoughts

OSOK

It would be the 20Br for me too. I've built a few, and they just work. It has a nice long neck too, which will keep the powder burn out of the throat.

If i could find an excuse for a 20 cal for target shooting...this would be it.

Hi rob

I shoot a 20x47 and love it but it is a bit hard on barrels! My last barrel was shot out in 700 rounded. I shoot 55g bergers at 4100 fps and very accurately! All tho bullets can be hard to source. Out of intrest who is your gunsmith? I have to form the cases in three stages and neck turn them. But it's only to do once and with quality brass I'm getting 6/7 firings. But I wouldn't advise useing one to shoot 40g bullets I think there would be a much more suitable caliber for that bullet weight. Atb. Rob

I have a heavy 20BR, I load it cool to extend barrel life at about 3500 fps, it shoots .2/.3 when I do my bit using Berger 50s.

At 4000 fps you barrel life will be about 700 rounds, thats £1 a round just for barrel life. Primer pockets wont like those pressures either so brass life is limited. I expect my 20BR to do double that at best accuracy and another 1000 or so at acceptable accuracy, had no brass issues at all to date and dont expect any as the necks are fitted.

I can see no point what so ever in running at 4000 fps unless you have a lot of snap shots where you cant measure and dial the range. Nothing I have ever hit with the 20BR has moved except one fox hit very low in the front chest due to cold fingers that went 100 yards. I also found that 40 gr Vmax in a 1 in 9 twist broke up in the air at about 3900, the 39gr SBK is fine though and my bullet of choice up 250 yards or so. Over that the 50 gr Berger is preferred.

Friend of mine built a couple of 22s based on the 7x57 case, that does 4000 fps when down loaded, used BSA CFT actions that he designed for BSA, he was shooting 500 yard foxes in the late 60s with it. But he was an RFD and bought barrels ( always Douglas) at trade price and smithed them himself and he only used it for foxes in a self imposed season of July - Xmas. I hasten to add he has now retired.

A

If a reliable 4000fps is your target for the 39/40's then I dont really think the 20x47 will give you anything that the 20BR couldnt, my 20BR ran at just over 4000fps with 39 SBK's and 33.5gr N133, very low recoil and very accurate, barrel life would be better with the BR.

If its for target shooting and you can push 55gr Bergers at 4100 as Ro6.5 does then this will be an amazing caliber in terms of ballistics but I found that after about 400yds the Bergers drilled holes rather than expanded, this was fine for crows but not suitable for rabbits or foxes. The only reason I sold my 20BR was that I couldn't get 55gr bullets that would expand reliably at longer ranges, if I could have then I dont think I would ever choose another LR varmint caliber.

When I looked the 22x47 was so similar to the 22-250 that it hardly seemed worth the effort just to get a small primer. I went down the fast twist 22-250 route using the 77gr TMK and I have been well pleased with the results

Disappointing to hear that the 55gr Bergers don't expand well, I always fancied either a 22x47 or a 20BR firing these could be ultimate varminting calibre

Archived