Recommend me a moderator

Hi all,

I currently have an anschutz 54 action with Steve kershaw who is currently going to rebarrel for me.

He is going to screw cut it m18x1 for a moderator, because it is going to be a choked border barrel I dont want to go down as small as 1/2 unf for fear of weakening the choked muzzle.

So my question is, can anyone recommend me a centrefire grade moderator which isnt too heavy.I need something lightweight, anything centrefire grade is bound to be effective at moderating on a 22lr so size and weight are the main preferences here as well as quality.

Thanks

Over barrel or a can, I would say go can and an ace utra s5 or the jet z which is probaly the best, a shooting mate showed me an all aluminium one a couple of weeks ago, cant recall the make but it was light as a feather, I use the s5, the mk1, its weighty but bomb proof, its been used on 5 or 6 cf rifles, its seen 1000s of shots and will do 1000s more, its great mod, atb swaro

Hi all,

I currently have an anschutz 54 action with Steve kershaw who is currently going to rebarrel for me.

He is going to screw cut it m18x1 for a moderator, because it is going to be a choked border barrel I dont want to go down as small as 1/2 unf for fear of weakening the choked muzzle.

So my question is, can anyone recommend me a centrefire grade moderator which isnt too heavy.I need something lightweight, anything centrefire grade is bound to be effective at moderating on a 22lr so size and weight are the main preferences here as well as quality.

Thanks

Be careful using a centre fire grade moderator!. I had a t8 reflex can on a 22mag. Sold it on to tannyoky. About 2 months later went to the shop and they produced the can from under the counter. The moderator had exploded from the inside and had a 2 inch hole in the side of it. Seemingly the can was designed for centre fire and should not have been used on a rimfire. I was told that the unspent powder in the can had built up and then had ignited causing the can to explode. Thankfully no one was hurt. If you are going down that route make sure you buy a strip able one that can be cleaned to stop the build up of powder.

Be careful using a centre fire grade moderator!. I had a t8 reflex can on a 22mag. Sold it on to tannyoky. About 2 months later went to the shop and they produced the can from under the counter. The moderator had exploded from the inside and had a 2 inch hole in the side of it. Seemingly the can was designed for centre fire and should not have been used on a rimfire. I was told that the unspent powder in the can had built up and then had ignited causing the can to explode. Thankfully no one was hurt. If you are going down that route make sure you buy a strip able one that can be cleaned to stop the build up of powder.

Something similar happened to me using an ase rimfire moderator a few years back, I was testing ammo in a weirauch 22lr and just afer I shot a round off there was a whoosh noise, unburnt powder in the mod had ignited and created a burst of pressure out the end.

Everything was ok though.

I suspect maybe because the t8 has a large expansion chamber this caused a bigger problem?

My ase mod was also just off a 22mag that I had sold.

you don't need a CF mod and 1/2" UNF will not weaken a 22LR barrel its even used on CF thin sporter barrels

I recommend a 22LR Mod an ARMOUR MK1 from Caliber innovations which you can get with titanium baffles and is also fine for .223"CF is fully strip able to clean and would need all the wet gunge out from 22LR before putting it near a CF

or a Swift Precision Nightingale or his cheaper but effective End of barrel 22LR can if they are available also stripable to clean

I have both the ARMOUR on a 22LR Ruger 10/22

and the Swift in 17 cal specific on my 17HMR

you don't need a CF mod and 1/2" UNF will not weaken a 22LR barrel its even used on CF thin sporter barrels

I recommend a 22LR Mod an ARMOUR MK1 from Caliber innovations which you can get with titanium baffles and is also fine for .223"CF is fully strip able to clean and would need all the wet gunge out from 22LR before putting it near a CF

or a Swift Precision Nightingale or his cheaper but effective End of barrel 22LR can if they are available also stripable to clean

I have both the ARMOUR on a 22LR Ruger 10/22

and the Swift in 17 cal specific on my 17HMR

Thanks for the recomendation.

I think I may have settled on a onelesscharlie mod.

I chose a bigger thread diameter because of the choke at the muzzle, as its going to be a custom barrel anyway I dont have to stick with the standard 1/2 inch diam thread.

I have an ATEC CMM4 on my Anschutz .22LR. Looks good, weights nothing, moderates well, strippable. £50 quid or so

I did not like the finish of the Wave which I believe replaced the SAK.

Ruag have also got a new range of mods in which look interesting - Hausken.

Hi ,my mate used T8 on his rimfire 22lr then put it on his centrefire,first shot all the unburnt powder ignited in the moderator and bulged it all the way round.He was as white as a sheet but luckily ok!.

Has anyone got a hausken moderator?

The look appealing for this situation,

The md 35 looks small and weights only 145grams

I have a Hausken mod on my .223 and it is a very nice piece of kit for the money.

T

I have a Hausken mod on my .223 and it is a very nice piece of kit for the money.

T

Quite difficult to source though aren't they?

Archived