Shootings Life Hacks

hunter686

I'm sure we have all seen those things pop up on the Internet full of cool little device's or what not to make life easier. I thought i'd start a thread to show the hacks, tips and tricks that you all use make your life a little easier.

I'll kick off:

Here is an uncoated Pro shot rod:

post-14013-0-09006400-1457956979_thumb.jpg

What i do it buy a few meters of shrink wrap, cut to length, and shrink to fit. I now have a coated rod that i can strip down as often as i want and replace the cover.

post-14013-0-08339100-1457956995_thumb.jpg

Another pro is that i can slide it up over the base of my attachment to stop crown contact when coming back through the muzzle.

post-14013-0-64403700-1457957039_thumb.jpg

post-14013-0-29600800-1457957064_thumb.jpg

ParkerHale rods come pre-coated ;)

A great little tip that i'll be adopting.

Thanks

If you leave the lid on and cut a cross in the middle (Not like mine in the picture) you can make it a squeeze fit. Stops it popping off if you over keen with the rod.

The heat shrink cost next to nothing and its discarded whenever your anales kicks in. You also cant use a normal coated rod to protect the crown from the jag and brushes!

The heat shrink cost next to nothing and its discarded whenever your anales kicks in. You also cant use a normal coated rod to protect the crown from the jag and brushes!

You don't need to if you know how to use a rod properly.

You unscrew the brush when it exits the muzzle.

This thread wasn't intended for "Coated vs Uncoated rods" or "How To Clean You're rifle"

This systems works for me and may work for someone else. If you have your own way of doing thing's great! Share them with other people so they too can benefit.

This thread wasn't intended for "Coated vs Uncoated rods" or "How To Clean You're rifle"

This systems works for me and may work for someone else. If you have your own way of doing thing's great! Share them with other people so they too can benefit.

I simply just use a carbon rod

Ah but the coating holds grit which ruins the bore!

.......or so urban legend has it.

Abrade with stainless steel - or 'kiss' with a wiped-clean softer than steel coating? (It is possible to wipe a rod clean, and not leave it covered in oil and sand!).

I like the bottle :)

Dont you look at your patches to see what is going on? I just reach over the rifle, remove the patch from the jag, look at it, then decide what to do next. Couldnt do that if it was in a bottle.

.......or so urban legend has it.

Abrade with stainless steel - or 'kiss' with a wiped-clean softer than steel coating? (It is possible to wipe a rod clean, and not leave it covered in oil and sand!).

I like the bottle :)

Lapping.

The abbrasive sticks to the softer medium (in this case the plastic), and abrades the harder material (in this case the barrel).

It is better that the rod is harder than the barrel, then the rod will wear, not the barrel.

First year stuff, ask anyone with training.

Just thought that you'd like the content of the forum to be factually correct

Where exactly are you putting your plastic coated cleaning rods to get them covered with embedded grit? The mind boggles.

I dont have plastic coated rods.

Lapping.

The abbrasive sticks to the softer medium (in this case the plastic), and abrades the harder material (in this case the barrel).

It is better that the rod is harder than the barrel, then the rod will wear, not the barrel.

First year stuff, ask anyone with training.

Just thought that you'd like the content of the forum to be factually correct

What abrasive? You coating them in diamond paste and running them in contact with the rifling? or incapable of running a rag down them before use? (You do realise they're not actually meant to touch the bore?!)

And run me through this again "It is better that the rod is harder than the barrel, then the rod will wear, not the barrel." Quite apart from the reversed logic, one can abrade a rifle barrel with string if you do it enough (Google cord-worn).

Assuming you're not, as you seem to think, actually lapping your barrel with an oversized or bendy rod- the issue is actually about impact damage (primarily at the muzzle, because, of course, I'm using a rod that's strong enough not to bend, and I'm taking care of the chamber as best I can by using a bore guide). Nevertheless, if I assume I'm going to repeatedly inadvertently strike parts of the rifling then I choose to do that striking with the softest material available.

If you have something empirical to add, other than something you've read that Bubba wrote about aluminium rods and you've mis-applied, please link.

Your last two lines. Thematic over the last 6 or so months. Please get your keyboard piles sorted. ;)

You fire big chunks of copper jacketed lead down the barrel, at extreme pressures and heat....and are concerned about a plasic coated rod being abbrasive?

Ok, i am wrong, i take it all back. Silly me for following the guidance of the worlds top accurate rifle builders and competative shooters. Keep using your coated rods as endorsed on UKV, the place for precision rifle enthusiasts.

Ok, i am wrong, i take it all back. Silly me for following the guidance of the worlds top accurate rifle builders and competative shooters. Keep using your coated rods as endorsed on UKV, the place for precision rifle enthusiasts.

Sort your piles.

Show empirical.

Archived