22-250Rem Pushing 69 Sierra Tipped Matchkings at 3640fps.

22cf

12249810_10208084929021418_2994760509291

Tikka T3 Stainless action.

Tikka Super Varmint Stock.

Lothar Walther 26" 1 in 8 twist barrel.

Throated to shoot the 69 Grain Sierra Tipped Matchkings.

Oversized Bolt Knob.

Ase Utra CQB sound moderator

Stainless Optilocs

Sightron 8-32x56 LRIRMOA Scope.

Built by Dave Folwell at Bowtec

Been over to Garland today to do my first load development with my new 8 twist 22-250rem. Since collecting the rifle the weather has been horrendous, so I booked in to Carlton Moor on Monday evening to see how it grouped. However, I came home from work this morning to find the weather at home was quite mild with very little wind so I headed over to Garlands for a few hours.

I have been playing with Quickload for while trying to find a good bullet/powder combination, after trying a few different permutations I settled on the following.

Sako Brass

Federal 210m primers

Sierra 69 grain TMK bullets

RS60 Powder

COAL 2.542"

After running Quickload I decided to try 0.010" off the lands with powder charges from 36-39.6grains, increasing in 0.3 grain increments. I was a little sceptical of the velocities quickload was predicting, they seemed a little to high to me, so I started with a really low charge of 36 grains and went from there, I was trialling 3 shot groups at 116yds on the Garlands range.

After getting the new scope on target I was ready to go, the first 2 groups were poor, they were 0.9" and 1.3", to say I was disappointed is a massive understatement. I didn't get too disillusioned though, I had a lot more testing to do and on the third group the size shrunk to 0.500" so things were looking up.

Whilst the group sizes weren't great the velocities were very surprising, all groups tested were 30-100fps faster than quickload was suggesting, 36 grains of RS60 was pushing the 69grain STMK's out at 3300fps, 37.2grains was pushing them at 3400fps and my chosen charge of 38.4grains gave me 3 shot velocities of 3640fps, 3641fps and 3635fps which totally blew me away.

All groups between 37.8grains to 39.3grains were sub 0.520", I have decided to settle on 38.4 because it was the middle group of 3 groups which were 0.400", 0.250" and 0.350".

As I was leaving another guy turned up with a chronograph, I asked him if he would let me compare the velocities given on my chrono to his, I put the two chronos in tandem to compare and was pleased to see a slight variation of 20fps with my chrono giving the slower velocity.

Obviously you cannot take this load and put it straight into your rifle without proper load development but RS60 is a great powder in 22-250rem using the heavy bullets and well worth trying if you have a suitable 8 twist barrel.

I'm putting them through a 1:9 LW, 38.5gr of Elcho17 (RF17) gave best accuracy, still haven't chrono'd them

I am lead to believe from the rep at Reloader Swiss that Elcho 17, Reloader 17 and RS60 are all the same product in different containers, I think you will be surprised with the velocity,

• What barrel length do you have ?
  • Which brass and primers ?
  • Whats your COAL ?
  • What were your groups like ?

They certainly grouped well in my rifle with charges between 38.1 and 38.7grains, all 3 groups were sub 0.500" with awesome velocity too.

I think you're right about the powder,

• 23" (it was 24" but I changed thread/mod)
  • PPU (new, trimmed,uniformed,batched) CCI 200
  • 2.61 (ogive 2.165)
  • Sub 1/2"

I have a batch to put over the chrono, just not getting the time at the moment

Whilst the group sizes weren't great the velocities were very surprising, all groups tested were 30-100fps faster than quickload was suggesting, 36 grains of RS60 was pushing the 69grain STMK's out at 3300fps, 37.2grains was pushing them at 3400fps and my chosen charge of 38.4grains gave me 3 shot velocities of 3640fps, 3641fps and 3635fps which totally blew me away.

36gr = 3300 - ok, thats reasonable enough.

37.2gr = 3400 - an increase of 100fps for 1.2gr of extra powder.

38.4gr = 3640 - an increase of 240fps for a further additional 1.2gr increase.

How does that work?

Nice looking rifle. :)

36gr = 3300 - ok, thats reasonable enough.

37.2gr = 3400 - an increase of 100fps for 1.2gr of extra powder.

38.4gr = 3640 - an increase of 240fps for a further additional 1.2gr increase.

How does that work?

Nice looking rifle. :)

I will post the full load development data later when I get home, I log all velocities and target/group results, from memory the velocity increases were steady throughout the charges from 36-39.6grains. If there are any inconsistencies here its because I have recalled the data incorrectly. you are more than welcome to come over and check it out if you wish, bring your chrono.

And before anyone asks, No, I will not be bringing it to diggle to show it off !!!

I will post the full load development data later when I get home, I log all velocities and target/group results, from memory the velocity increases were steady throughout the charges from 36-39.6grains. If there are any inconsistencies here its because I have recalled the data incorrectly. ou are more than welcome to come over and check it out if you wish, bring your chrono.

And before anyone asks, No, I will not be bringing it to diggle to show it off !!!

No need to check it myself, Im just curious as to the data you have provided. Im sure when you look back you will find the discrepancy :)

Im going to build a very similar T3 next week but still haven't finally decided between 22BR and 22/250 although have both reamers and a 9 twist Bergara barrel. Having looked at the 69 TMK's I couldn't see any real advantage going a faster twist to shoot the 77's, gains at 600yds are very marginal. The speeds you are quoting are very impressive indeed, anything 3300 or above was my target.

You don't always find that MVs rise in a true linear pattern with charge increases throughout an entire range. A charge weight step often sees no change, or little change, from its predecessor, but then the overall pattern resumes with the next one up through a larger than expected increase.

When the MV takes a big hike at a certain point that can be due to the propellant getting into its proper 'working pressure zone' where it performs most efficiently. It can though in certain circumstances signal a problem that pressures are / are about to spike dangerously. More often, excessive charge weight and pressure are shown by a slowing in the rate of MV increase, or even a reduction in the recorded MV when the charge is too great. A lot depends on powder type - ball powders often work differently from tubular extruded, and single-based types differently from 'high-energy' types such as Elcho 17 / Re17 / Reload Swiss RS60 (yes, they are one and the same thing).

What would worry me about this load and powder is barrel life which won't just be short, it'll be extremely short. QuickLOAD says 63,000-65,000 psi depending on actual chamber throating and COAL to achieve over 3,600 fps with this bullet weight, and it's a notorious barrel-burning powder when run at these sorts of pressures and temperatures. A relatively heavy bullet is being used for .22-calibre which also increases throat wear. When the Canadians used the 22-250 in the early days of F-Class, barrel life was around 900 rounds despite loading it with much cooler burning single-based powders. So, if it's a one or two-shot per outing foxing only rifle, and you can resist the temptation to 'test', 'load-develop', 'rezero' or all the other excuses we employ to go out and shoot an accurate high-performance and plain fun to use rifle, then you're maybe OK. Otherwise, enjoy it while it lasts over its brief life.

Incidentally, if you model Reload Swiss RS62, the untreated single-based sister to RS60 in QuickLOAD, you'll see that for the loss of around 100 fps, you reduce PMax by 3-5,000 psi and make a substantial reduction in the amount of heat injected into the barrel. It's a slightly more thermally efficient combination too, although only marginally. (Both are relatively poor around a calculated 27% level which means that nearly three-quarters of the propellant's energy is wasted, the vast majority of that being in heat that compared to ~30% and 33% efficiency for good .223 Rem and 308 Win loadings respectively.)

I have been trying these bullets lately and I'm very impressed. These pills are a real game changer in the 22 cals they have a high BC - expand Amax style and are naturally accurate and not as fussy as some bullets.

Without any real load development I am getting 0.3 MOA groups and 3520 fps using 37.5 grns of Elcho 17 in my 8 twist 22.250. I have some more loaded ready to test , at slightly higher charges and I will play about with the the seating depths too.

I can say that they are very impressive on impact and expand massively at the velocities that the 22.250 chucks them out.

ATB

S

I have been trying these bullets lately and I'm very impressed. These pills are a real game changer in the 22 cals they have a high BC - expand Amax style and are naturally accurate and not as fussy as some bullets.

Without any real load development I am getting 0.3 MOA groups and 3520 fps using 37.5 grns of Elcho 17 in my 8 twist 22.250. I have some more loaded ready to test , at slightly higher charges and I will play about with the the seating depths too.

I can say that they are very impressive on impact and expand massively at the velocities that the 22.250 chucks them out.

ATB

S

Have to agree completely with this. The tmks are a game changer. Very easy to load develop for, and very hard hitting indeed. Even at 223 velocities- 3100 there is virtually no exit signs whatsoever. With rabbits they are quite theatrical!.

Laurie.

I agree that pushing 69 grns pills at 3650 fps will shorten barrel life, but I don't think it will be anywhere near as short as you suggest.

I am currently 800 rounds in to my second tight twist 22.250 and it is excellent. The first rifle was used to drive 75 grn Amax above 3400 fps and I had 1400 rounds down that tube - it was still incredibly accurate and every week it was used at ranges above 500 yrds

I had this rifle bore-scoped just before I changed to a 6mm cal ( Mistake) The smith said there was some light fire cracking and some wear in the throat - but the rifling was still sharp and there was nothing to worry about ..... I believe that particular rifle would have gone another 5-600 rounds before accuracy was affected.

One of the biggest factors in barrel life is the manner in which you shoot - long strings and short cool down periods are going to reduce barrel life more ( in my opinion) than an extra half grain of powder. certainly when your in the mid or low pressure range.

The pressure figures for the load I am shooting the 69 grn Bullets at ( 37.5 grns - E 17 / COL 2.550) are around the 55.000 psi range (according to the gospel of QL) that's compared to a max of 65,000 psi Sammi spec. its nearly 10,000 psi lower than max pressure for that calibre.. My cases and primers also show no signs whatsoever of pressure.

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Kind regards

Alan

It seems that i could push these upto about 3130 - 69TMK in a 223 ack that i have with H4895. On QL i didn't have the powder cfe 223 that i think laurrie suggested on my 3.6 version , otherwise id love to know how much faster they could go ! Also does anyone know if theres word of sierra producing 6mm TMKs ? That would be great if they were !

It seems that i could push these upto about 3130 - 69TMK in a 223 ack that i have with H4895. On QL i didn't have the powder cfe 223 that i think laurrie suggested on my 3.6 version , otherwise id love to know how much faster they could go ! Also does anyone know if theres word of sierra producing 6mm TMKs ? That would be great if they were !

Sierra are making 6mm 95gr TMKs, but I would imagine it will be months before we see any over here.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/7295/243-dia-95-gr-Tipped-MatchKing-TMK

Nice1 andy, ;)

Sierra are making 6mm 95gr TMKs, but I would imagine it will be months before we see any over here.https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/7295/243-dia-95-gr-Tipped-MatchKing-TMK

Sounds about ideal for the 6br fans.

Anyone importing them?

Sounds about ideal for the 6br fans.

Anyone importing them?

In time I would imagine they will be available from the usual suppliers, it will take weeks if not months before we see them in any quantity over here. Sierra will satisfy the US market first.

I think you're right about the powder,

• 23" (it was 24" but I changed thread/mod)
  • PPU (new, trimmed,uniformed,batched) CCI 200
  • 2.61 (ogive 2.165)
  • Sub 1/2"

I have a batch to put over the chrono, just not getting the time at the moment

Just put some over the chrono and getting Av 3400, personally I was expecting a bit faster, but they are accurate

Archived