NRA use of militry ranges

Tony1954

Hi, our club secretary has received a letter from the NRA stating all members of the club would need

Shooting Validation Cards To shoot on Military Ranges and would need to be full members of the NRA.

The cards will only by issued after taking a test with the NRA, Clubs will NOT be able to issue cards.

So the NRA no longer Trust Clubs to police shooting in a safe manner . Has any other clubs had such a letter or am I reading it wrong ?? . Tony

Hi, our club secretary has received a letter from the NRA stating all members of the club would need

Shooting Validation Cards To shoot on Military Ranges and would need to be full members of the NRA.

The cards will only by issued after taking a test with the NRA, Clubs will NOT be able to issue cards.

So the NRA no longer Trust Clubs to police shooting in a safe manner . Has any other clubs had such a letter or am I reading it wrong ?? . Tony

You reading it wrong. I have the new club renewal letter from the NRA and that is NOT what it says at all.

Mike

Tony

Your interpretation of what you may have received from the NRA appears to be wrong. Civilian clubs using MoD Ranges are required to be affiliated to one of the recognised National Governing Bodies, in most cases this means the NRA; club members of affiliated clubs do not have to be individual members of the NRA although the club pays a small fee for each club member who is not an individual full member of the NRA. In order to shoot on a MoD Range shooters need to be in possession of Shooter Competency Card issued by either the NRA or the Chairman of their own affiliate club. Clubs are allowed to issue SCCs but the must have a 'system' in place to demonstrate that they have assessed the shooter properly as they can be audited by the NRA; the SCC requirement was introduced by the NRA to assure continued access to MoD Ranges by civilian clubs after the MoD started to get concerned about who was shooting on ranges they were responsible for and had no control over, it was all about risk reduction. Without the NRA, as a NGB for rifle shooting, introducing the SCC system on civilian clubs would be using MoD Ranges today.

If you have any questions please PM and I'll try to answer them.

Tony,

The other thing worth pointing out, although it's been mentioned on other threads before, is that for an individual to shoot at Bisley when not in company with an NRA affiliated club, they must be an individual NRA member. I'm not sure if this applies to MoD ranges in general.

Thank you for your reply's, we are a affiliated club with trained RCO and have been using military ranges for over 25 years. Perhaps its the fact that I only had a quick read , but we felt it read the NRA wanted to take full control of the issuing of SCC cards. The club Secretary is contacting the NRA for clarification . Again thank you all. Tony

The NRA are looking to issue cards centrally in the future as there have been some irregularities in the way some cards have been issued, I would hope that this is at no extra costs to clubs but have no specific details at the moment.

John,as you understand ,without perhaps full detail as yet, that what the NRA propose is that the actual Competence assessment of a shooter will still continue to be done by the Club he is a member of,with a transparent NRA monitored proceedure,as at pressent, but then the Club Chairman will recommend/forward the Club Member's name to the NRA for their central administration to issue the Club Member's 'Safe Shooter Competency' card, to the club Chairman,to be passed on to the Club Member.

The central issue probably concerning most Club Members is where Competency assessment is done,as it implies considerable costs if not at their Club's range by a Club Official,rather than the detail ( as it would be seen by the Club Member) of central administration ( ie actual issue of the SSC cards by the NRA-which may well tidy up the proceedure,and provide central records).

In a nutshell,will the NRA administer directly the Competency test (a major change) OR administer the issue of the Competency Card (a minor change,from the shooter's perspective) ?

gbal

I do not know the full details but I do not expect that the NRA will insist that they carry out the assessment, I am lead to beleive that the NRA wish to 'issue' all cards in future as currently there are at least three different types of card in circulation and many of the club issued cards have not been correctly filled in.

The standardisation of competency cards is understood. But personally I think that it is just another hurdle for shooters and clubs to put up with.

The NRA should butt out of this issue and individual clubs should continue to issue cards. Just my view chaps!

Its not so much about 'butting out', the MoD do not deal with individual clubs on such matters they, only deal with the NRA. In its efforts to assure continued civilian access to MoD Ranges the NRA have put in place a system of assuring the competency of shooters that satisfies the MoD that the risk of allowing civilians to shoot on their ranges is no greater than the Military (who all have to progress through a fully documented and auditable safe system of training). The system put in place by the NRA has, unfortunately, not been robustly implemented by some clubs and as a result some changes are required in order to protect continued access.

. The system put in place by the NRA has, unfortunately, not been robustly implemented by some clubs and as a result some changes are required in order to protect continued access.

John,

Here in lies the rub. It was quite clearly spelt out to club chairmen what needed to be done, nothing too onerous and really what any club would (should?) be doing anyway. It really griped my &hite when folks openly boasted that the cards were dished out like sweats at a kids party, as if it was some game?

On the other hand it is also a bit poor the way Landmark administer the MOD ranges, which, like the MOD itself, are paid for by civilians - but that is another story.

T

The NRA Safe Shooting System:

To try and help on this, we a club have just gone through the process for the first time.

If you need some help with this process Georgina Thatcher head of membership services and Sarah Boxall at the NRA have been most helpful.

You can buy all the Training materials (book and CD) from the NRA £17.00

The Competence Cards are £8.85 each from the NRA

There is a 40 question exam – the first question requires you to cite the 4 safety rules they mandate which must be all correct to pass the exam and then a score of 30/40 is a pass.

You also need to do a range assessment but basically if you can manage the normal protocols respond properly to an RO’s instructions – load, shoot, unload and clear, deal with a misfire and an emergency “Stop,stop,stop”, produce a good zero and properly set and alter your sights then you shouldn’t have any issues.

Your chairman needs to sign an agreement with the NRA and as a club you must submit a list of members who have been issued cards.

We have retained the exam papers and details of range assessments for the purpose of Audit as this is one of the issues the last secretary got into a tangle with the NRA over?

Downloads are available here:

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/certification/certification.asp?site=NRA

I think this system was introduced in about 2009 at the same time as the issue of HME rifles appeared on the scene following discussions between the NRA and the MOD.

As a bit of background our club has been booking MOD ranges since about 1990, however after a lot of cancellations we collaborated with other local clubs with the intention of “sharing” range days, when we got a booking we would allow visitors to come with us and we would go with them on their days, it gave us two or more bites at the cherry? We were a small club and only really has enough members to run 3 lanes most times?

That was fine until our secretary came up with the bright idea that he could save the admin and cost of signing up to an MOD range licence, leaving us to be only able to go with another club. When shooter certification cards were introduced as a requirement, that same secretary fell out with the NRA about probationary course membership and he would not use the NRA’s system declaring the course he had put in place was better than the one provided by the NRA!

For a couple of years the NRA would not allow our club to issue Shooter Certification Cards!

Last year we voted for a new club secretary and we have moved forward with the NRA.

I think in time we will produce our own revised course, keeping all of the NRA course content and adding to it with some club specific tailoring.

The NRA process is of course Bisley centric. And I would say that it is not perfect as an example if you buy the training materials from you the pack includes:

Course Power Point Presentations

Handbook of Training materials

Exam Paper

Exam Paper with Model Answers

One question No 27 calls for you to say how far a .22 rimfire round will travel – I haven’t found the answer to this in the Presentations or course handbook. The answer it there for a similar question relating to 7.62mm but not for Rimfire?

The NRA test is multiple choice with four possible answers for this question:

400m

800m

1600m

2000m

Now I’ve grown up with ammo boxes saying “dangerous within 1½ miles so knowing that would work out to about 2400m it didn’t look like any of those options were the right answer? The NRA model answer is “1600m” which caused me to go and have a look at some rimfire ammo boxes some European manufacturers now cite dangerous within 1500m whilst some American ammo is cited at 1½ miles or 2.5km?

In essence the NRA do not allow clubs to issue their own shooter certification cards they must be issued (another little money spinner for the NRA) by the NRA.

Your Club Chairman needs to sign off members who have completed the training, an exam and pass a practical assessment on the range. Despite the fact that this was said to be impossible by our old secretary, within 6 months of his replacement we have been able to resolve the issues with the NRA, roll out the training and have just obtained and issued cards to members who have completed the process.

Will joining the NRA give immediate access to a card, signed off with disciplines you have shot at Bisley within the lifetime of the last SSC ? [which I think is 4 years }

Thanks John, I will ring them this week.

Apart from obviously shooting CSR there for the last few years, I also shot gallery , I haven't for a couple of years, but am toying with the idea of starting again, and don't want to lose the signed slots on my SSC.

Our last secretary encouraged members to use an alternate club that we shared range bookings with to do their Cards, for those people who did this and where there have not been any safety related issues we have "grandfathered" their rights on this to give them new cards although a couple re-did the exams and assessment to broaden the categories they had on their cards.

I think the NRA will give you a card Free of charge if you are a member and have shot with them or if you are an NRA RCO. If you already have one the club where you got it should be able to replace it for you with little trouble.

Archived