Digital or tubed

6.5shooter

Ok so I was going to buy a drone pro for foxing but I have been talking to 3 people now who say dont and to buy something tubed!

What are everyone elses experiences?

I see alot of people on the forums raving about the new drone pro.

Personally I am totally new to the whole nv thing and I have absoloutly no experience with it.

Been doing a bit of reading on tubed scopes and im swaying to that.

My question is what tubed nv scope would you buy?

Is there anyone who has switched from tubed to digital and would rather have digital or are there people on here who have tried digital and went back to tubed?

Any helpful responses are always appreciated.

Thanks

I've had both tubed gen 3 scopes and add ons and now use a mark1 DP for my foxing. It does the job for me out to 300m at night with no bother. Does need IR though unless a super moon is out although I haven't had many foxes spooked by the dim red light.

Personally for me it is very easy to use and I can swap it with a day scope without zero shift. Shot hundreds with it since I bought it and right now can't see me going back to tubed Nv.

Plenty of lads on here with top end kit and everyone will have a different opinion but for me it's 1700 quid very well spent.

Will be recording some footage through it over the coming months and putting it up on my you tube channel which is another bonus. Whatever you go for be prepared to be called upon by all your mates when they need some lamp shy foxes taken out!

Digital without a shadow of a doubt good gen 3 is exceptional but also a massive investment for you to potentially break digital can be zeroed in day and also doesn't matter about flash light etc.......record of it use on external screens anything past 250 really at night with covert kit you shouldn't be shooting at anyway in my humble opinion.

Digital my friend I hear good things about these new drone pro even the old ones I run a n750 with doubler and it's more than good enough.

CZV

High end tubed NV kit (Gen 3) will have better performance than a Drone Pro, but will cost significantly more.

My issue with tubed stuff is the likliehood of damage if inadvertently exposed to daylight - and high end tubed kit is extremely sensitive to light.

It's so sensitive that it has to be completely dark before it can be fully utilised.

The Drone Pro will outperform tubed kit up to Gen 2 and will perform well in any lighting conditions.

In particular, at dawn and dusk it's absolutely brilliant - outperforming even the best glass scopes with it's light gathering abilities.

In full daylight it's a perfectly usable x10 scope, but not on a par with the best glass - but of course a tubed unit would be destroyed if you tried to use it during the day.

The Drone Pro does need IR illumination to work well in complete darkness - all digital NV kit does.

But I have yet to see any thing I've looked at through the Drone being spooked by the IR.

For foxing, spot with a thermal shoot with a Drone Pro.

Cheers

Bruce

You really need to try as many different units as possible as contrary to everybody above , I have tried many digital units including both versions of the Drone pro and could not get on with any digital at all. It really is a personal thing. There was a PVS14 for sale on here last week at a sensible price. Both gen 3 units I have both slaughtered the drone pro in my opinion, but it is my opinion. I know you cannot use digital to spot with from a moving vehicle. Again before you spent any money try as much stuff as you can.

I agree that a Gen3 tubed unit will outperform a Drone Pro and said that in my earlier post

However, spotting from a moving vehicle with any device that requires you to keep your eye close to an eye piece is pretty much impossible unless the road is very smooth.

It's much easier if the spotting device is connected to an external screen mounted on the car windscreen.

The Drone Pro and every other digital NV device I've used or built has a video output to allow you to connect to such a screen.

Unfortunately, AFAIK tubed devices can't have a video output to allow you to do that.

Cheers

Bruce

Just checked mine with my mate driving me down the field. Works fine. You must drive faster than me. Good points from the chaps some prefer tubed some digital. Best to look for yourself. Plenty of threads on here about it that just go around in circles.

I agree that Gen 3 tubed kit will outperform the Drone Pro and said that in my earlier post

However, trying to use any spotting device digital or tubed) which requires you to look at a display through an eye piece whilst in a moving vehicle is pretty much impossible unless the road is very smooth (and most shooting locations don't have smooth roads)

Spotting from a moving vehicle is much easier with a screen attached to the dash or windscreen of the vehicle which displays the same image as would be seen through the eyepiece.

Every digital NV device I have ever used or built has a video output socket to allow connection to an external screen or a video recorder

AFAIK, because of the way they work, tubed NV units don't have video outputs.

Cheers

Bruce

Have the 3 people that said dont buy a drone actually got one?

I use a drone 10x and an archer spotter. Have used the archer as an add on with yhe best day scopes and the picture might be prettier than the drone but you are unlikely to kill more.

Only downside to the drone is the battery life but as i only shoot with it it doesnt affect me.

I use an Archer on the back of a March score and it's very clear with a decent clear and moon lit night it can be used without IR. A good clear picture is really essential, especially with NV as for obvious reasons you need to see clearly what's behind your target.

I've had in the past Pulsar N550 and N750 both were pretty poor but from what I've read the DP s miles better than the Pulsar units.

As with any sight you really need to have a look at a few units to see what suits you and your needs.

My problem with digital kit is their maintaining zero. I only have experience with Pulsar stuff but the clicks are large and agricultural, and every time I turned it off, the zero went out. With a tubed job, the zeroing is done on the scope. I'd go tubed all the way for long distance stuff, unless these zeroing problems on digital are ironed out. I honestly think Thermal is the way forward but it will be a while before devices that offer good magnification come within reach of my pocket

i killed over 200 foxes taking the drone off the rifle after every outing so I could put it in the cabinet. No problems there.

I think the problem with the drone Gary is its like spending 100k on a Porsche 911 to then be told a 50k Nissan can match it for speed ..

I have a drone pro and have owned gen 2 and gen 3 tubed. The picture quality on the drone is very good. The unit is let down by its design. It is difficult to mount on a sporting rifle and sits very high, it eats batteries so you end up switching it on only to shoot even though there is a standby mode and an excellent remote control to switch it on. An external battery pack requires trailing leads and rechargeable batteries are too high a voltage fresh off the charger because the plonker designing it didn't take it into account. They eye relief is also poor and even my 20ppc gives me a little nudge when fired.

Having said that I love it. The picture quality is in my opinion better than I see in the lamp even with high end scopes especially at range. It can be used in daylight and is excellent at last light when it is better than a day scope without IR and where a tubed unit would be damaged. One thing you might want to consider is that if you have ambient light eg factories or in my case a steel works within sight of some of my permissions then tubed nv will bloom and you risk damage. This renders it unusable.

As well as in daylight, you can shoot with the DP under a lamp if necessary....

With one of the new generation AS infrared leds in your illuminator you'll be gobsmacked by the quality of the picture in the DP...... I use an AS'd Sunnranger'd T20 torch on mine and when two of us compared it side by side with both an AS'd and an original NM800, we could clearly see a muntjac and a hare within a couple of metres of each other at 400m..... and got eye shine from an owl in the tree behind them - confirmed when it flew out. :)

The original NM800 really ran out of legs short of that and the Sunnranger was tangibly brighter than the As'd 800 at 400m and way beyond due to it's tighter focus.

In addition to the Drone we were using a standard Photon XT 6.5 which struggled beyond the 300m (If I remember right) and an adapted 4.6XT Photon - with that kiddie we could see good definition on a line of trees at 650m being the limit of our view that night and I could see the difference between the trunks and foliage on some Scotspine at 625m. At those distances I could still sharp-focus the die of the Sunnranger's LED.

atb

Fizz

:ph34r:

fizz

what Yukon lens would you go for if starting again 3x42 or the 4x50

lee

Hi Lee,

I've never seen a 4x50 in the flesh...... so I don't know the dimensions of the lens.

I use one of these 45 degree adapters on the side rail of the DP to get the torches into a handy position

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141687848864?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just tried it and there's a good 25mm between the head of the S/Ranger and the focus wheel of my Mk1 DP so I guess that's plenty for a 4x50 lens.

Pic without the angled adapter......

SAM_1515_zpsaedd6ism.jpg

Bit less room on the Xtreme with 15mm between the head and the rear of the electronics housing. That's mounted on a reversed 30mm pic rail over the rear 'scope mount.

Pic with a variable NM800 on the Xtreme....... this is one serious bit of kit.

SAM_1496_zpsw4sk0mna.jpg

As an alternative, sikapup has used a Bresser lens to good effect (But I don't know which one) and like the 5x lens I think it gives a tighter beam the the 3x42.

I use 1" Optilock rings 'bodged' (How very dare you! :lol: ) onto QR bases for torch mounts - cheaper than the Laserluchs version.

Would I go back to a tubed dedicated? Nope. I'm happy with 10x and 10.5x mag and the smaller FOV than my 6x dedicated hasn't proved to be a problem yet as I have more time to find the target using an HD38S thermal to spot with. Out of nearly 20 foxes since mid-August the few that have known I'm there have picked up on my wind but as I'm not an obvious threat, they seem to be a lot more tolerant.

Would I go back to the dedicated add-on on my Zeiss 6-24x56's?.......if needs be but I happily switch day 'scope to night 'scope as I lose the daylight.

Cheers

Fizz

fizz

what Yukon lens would you go for if starting again 3x42 or the 4x50

lee

Lee,

I run a 4x50 AS Sunnranger on my Drone - mounted on the top rail.

I use a Burris signature Zee ring to hold the sunnranger (and allow it to be aligned), but I need a small weaver to weaver riser to get the the lens of the sunnranger clear of the Drone objective.

Works absolutely brilliantly - was watching a fox at over 500 yards last week and it was as clear as day - unfortunately neither my rifle or my shooting skills are anywhere near good enough to engage targets at that range!

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers fizz , Bruce

Love the controls on the supplied illuminator on /off silent adjustable ,no desire to attempt silly shots ,everything I have read about sun ranger makes me won't to try one , to clean image not that it's bad I hasten to say it's amazing,but a bit more amazing never hurt anyone now a sunrager with the controls of the xlr with no head wobble (t20) now that would be sweet

Lee

Ok so there seems to be no right or wrong here, maybe each has its place in different situations?

Though one thing I see is that the drone is very expensive for a digital unit compared to a tubed which seem to have come down in price.

The Drone is the most expensive digital sight available - but it's the best by a considerable margin.

I think if you compare what you get in tubed kit for the same money, the Drone would prove to be a better bet all round.

Cheers

Bruce

I think we must agree to disagree but whether you prefer digital or tubed is a very personal thing, based on personal experience. I am sure we all spend several nights each week chasing foxes and have a vast amount of experience between us. One thing to bare in mind with digital as well as thermal is the longer you leave it before you spend your cash the better or cheaper unit you will get. I know this, I nearly bought an HD38, then an HD50 and now I await the HD75. Then I may wait for the price to drop. This in its self means digital and thermal will deprecate very quickly as newer and better stuff comes onto the market.

I think we must agree to disagree but whether you prefer digital or tubed is a very personal thing, based on personal experience. I am sure we all spend several nights each week chasing foxes and have a vast amount of experience between us. One thing to bare in mind with digital as well as thermal is the longer you leave it before you spend your cash the better or cheaper unit you will get. I know this, I nearly bought an HD38, then an HD50 and now I await the HD75. Then I may wait for the price to drop. This in its self means digital and thermal will deprecate very quickly as newer and better stuff comes onto the market.

Then you'll be waiting forever Dorg. :) I've had an HD38S since they first came out in November December 2013 and I certainly wouldn't want to be without it now... there's not much it won't do in comparison to an HD50S... or the more recent XD models (grayscale gives you the biggest variation anyway). I don't see that I'll need to upgrade to the latest and greatest anytime soon (and the Gen3 3x spotter sits in the drawer..... I see a lot more with the thermal, which doesn't stop at the edge of the wood or hedge).

The same goes for the DP and even the lowly Photon XT's.......the way I see it, the introduction of the new AS Infrared led has brought 'digital' out of the 'Dark Ages' :lol: in allowing the various cameras and screens to function at the best of their existing ability. Certainly there will be minor improvements in cameras and better screens... but I see the next generation being fitted with lenses with adjustable apertures.

Whatever you say about tubed 'scopes, 6x magnification seems to be the norm but it's very nice to be able to use 10x... or more with the right lens. ;)

Cheers

Fizz

Archived