Ruger VS AX AT

lee w 118

Andrew,

More like 35 assembled a morning! :)

If these rifles come out of Vikings at silly money i.e. end up costing £1400 over the counter, then you have the option of importing them yourselves, say getting together for a group buy?

Quick down and dirty costing for say five rifles (avoiding 308's).

$5000 for 5 rifles delivered to your chosen US registered exporter, as counter price in US is sub $1000

$ 250 cost of export permit

$ 500 exporters charge for service (typically 10% value of items handled)

$ 300 shipping cost to Stansted.

$6050 USD cost so far = nominally £4033 of which £3533 is the value for duties etc. (invoice + shipping values)

£ 282 import duty using 8% on the £3533 = £3821

£ 765 VAT @ 20% on the £3821 = £4586

This leaves you £400-$500 for collection and proofing = approx. £1000 a rifle = the £ for $ which is about right.

Add to the export permit your brass and bullets even better saving (export permit can have many items on it for one fee).

Caveat - the rules seem to change on a daily basis so might need a good look at for current detail.

Just a thought?

Brgds T

Warranty Tel ?

What's the UK warranty on a Ruger?

In US the warranty is (or, rather, 'isn't') this:

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q121

"The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms."

If that's the same in UK, that's £400 for your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

Seems a lot!?

Warranty Tel ?

That is a considered risk you'd have to take into account, £400 saving (or bump your import up to the possible £1400 UK cost for just the rifle and include dies, brass and bullets for a couple of years shooting) against 1 years warranty.

Same consideration of risk when you speed on the motorway or by £0000's S&B scope with 2 years warranty - it is your choice, you balance things up to what is acceptable to you?

T

I think this ruger will challenge the ai.i know all about the ai a tributes but who of us needs the ruggedness of the ai.they are great rifles for prone shooting.they are bloody awful for hunting.ive a remy 700 in an aics stock and that is the same and 2lb lighter than the ai.i can't see no reason why the ruger can't shoot aswell as the ai either.these so say groups that the ruger shot are too premote the intrest in the rifle obviously.

I wish someone else on this site would shoot one of these.

I shot my 308 at 200M yesterday morning and in the hands of a better shot, accuracy would have been amazing. As it was, with me behind the trigger, it was .6 MOA shooting at a 1" circle that was pretty much covered up by the reticle of my Leupold MkIV on 10X. I was prone using an Atlas bipod with no rear supports. That's darned good for me and i think speaks well of the rifle.~Andrew

I wish someone else on this site would shoot one of these.

I shot my 308 at 200M yesterday morning and in the hands of a better shot, accuracy would have been amazing. As it was, with me behind the trigger, it was .6 MOA shooting at a 1" circle that was pretty much covered up by the reticle of my Leupold MkIV on 10X. I was prone using an Atlas bipod with no rear supports. That's darned good for me and i think speaks well of the rifle.~Andrew

Andrew, we can't yet get them over here-the first 35 all seem to be in Montana,and with a few US testers....no doubt they will vary somewhat in performance....but most to date have been comfortably sub 1moa with good factory ammo- so some will probably do a bit better,as your example seems to do. It may be a good 'un.

g

Andrew, we can't yet get them over here-the first 35 all seem to be in Montana,and with a few US testers....no doubt they will vary somewhat in performance....but most to date have been comfortably sub 1moa with good factory ammo- so some will probably do a bit better,as your example seems to do. It may be a good 'un.

g

I'm not sure mine is an exception, accuracy wise. The two other 308's I've shot and seen shot by their owners seem to shoot as well; especially with 175 - 178 grain handloads in this windy country. The one 6.5 CM I've shot has been nothing short of mind bending, accuracy wise.

Around here we generally stick to handloads though the first rounds through one of the 308's in town were factory Match. I shoot 168 grain because I generally don't shoot that far (at least at this point) and at 2700 fps at this altitude, I don't have any problems reaching out to where I want to shoot. I also have a few thousand 168 grain match bullets and a thousand 165 SST's which seem to shoot as well as the A-max and Hornady/Sierra match.~Andrew

Andrew,looks like there might be 50 coming to UK....for now. Sometimes shooters here wonder why we don't get stuff,or much.

Would you have any idea how many Ruger PRs have made it to say,Montana....or what USA ownership now runs at? I have no idea if production really is 35 a shift/day/week/month whatever....but I can't see an order of 50 as being a top priority-especially as an export.

(I'd quite like one,I just think we over here can be naive as to market forces/strategies -what I refer to as the "Bismark" compromise...--"we sell more in Bismark,than in Europe,though I admit I had to look up Bismark,myself.. it's in Nebraska,wherever that is."

Not many over here buy bricks of 22rf at a time either,whatever a brick is...... :-)

g

Andrew,looks like there might be 50 coming to UK....for now. Sometimes shooters here wonder why we don't get stuff,or much.

Would you have any idea how many Ruger PRs have made it to say,Montana....or what USA ownership now runs at? I have no idea if production really is 35 a shift/day/week/month whatever....but I can't see an order of 50 as being a top priority-especially as an export.

(I'd quite like one,I just think we over here can be naive as to market forces/strategies -what I refer to as the "Bismark" compromise...--"we sell more in Bismark,than in Europe,though I admit I had to look up Bismark,myself.. it's in Nebraska,wherever that is."

Not many over here buy bricks of 22rf at a time either,whatever a brick is...... :-)

g

Montana is a big place and there are a lot of guns sold here, but I know of 5 sold through the store i bought mine from, 9 from another small chain of ranch stores in the region, and 2 from a small shop across the border in Wyoming, and two from a shop in NW Montana -about 400 miles from where I live. That's all I know of but that's just me.

I do know that they sold about 1000 of them in California in the first two hours after release. If you look at Sniper's Hide you'll see lots of posts about them so they are around. Here, some local boys still refer to these as "unobtainium" -but they were not very aggressive with regard to getting on a list for a Ruger. I know the local trading post has had them on order for two months and there is no promised delivery date. At the shop I bought mine I was the first on the list for a 308 and it still took 4 weeks to get it.

Sorry. I know this doesn't give you much of a feel for quantities. All it does is let one know that they aren't very common here. I do hope you guys get them soon. ~Andrew

Thanks,Andrew.....makes the point- 20 tmes more in 2 hours in California than sent to UK....so far!

Some of the 50 here would be very pleased to get within 4 weeks of ordering!

Jeff...thanks-I had sort of assumed it was at least 1000/5000...though not a serious point,just implying that the UK wasn't responsible for the dearth of 22rf in USA. 500 per range visit seems entirely appropriate when young.... :-)

g

Archived