New Case Prep

Brillo

Shouldn't be. Commercial cases are made to SAAMI (or CIP) standard size,as are chambers.(Of course this is not so for wildcat/custom reamed chambers necessarily.) Dies,too,may vary within tolerances.

There has to be some tolerances,so it's just possible,though both within tolerances, you might have a tightish chamber,and a 'biggish case' (or vice versa,but it's pretty unusual,for commercial brass not to chamber in a (factory) chamber....try a few,if brass chambers,can't see any merit in FL sizing before shooting.Check necks for reasonable concentricity-some can get a minor ding....

Fired,then neck sized probably gives the best fit ammo-but many prefer FL resize for more secure (mag) feed rather than tight fit neck resize....esp if there is any chance of grit etc clogging the bolt. Accuracy etc won't be noticeably different with virgin brass-even fire forming brass can be remarkably accurate.

gbal

Do you chaps not trim to length before firing? I've found significant inconsistencies and I always resize, trim to length, true primer pocket, chamfer and load...is this wrong?

Don't uniform primer pockets till after first firing - you don't want to make 'em bigger - after first firing the tool will slip in easily.

Factory chambers won't require trimming for length - most will allow massive case-growth but a custom chamber is another matter. With my 308 Win for example, I trim cases to 2.00in. dead before use - otherwise, after a couple of firings they will be too long.

Vince can I explore your comments re the uniforming of primer pockets after and not before first firing.

I have always done so before firing and using using a K&M tool which does not and is not designed to enlarge the pocket diameter in any way whatsoever but will sometimes take a very fine ring shaving around the side-wall/base juncture of the pocket where I assume it has been drilled and left some 'curve' and very occasionally it might take off a very minor high spot at the base of the pocket.

I believe that this allows the primer to seat more squarely in the base of the pocket.

I typically get between 15 to 20 reloads before I retire brass (260 Rem / 308 Win) and don't see primer pocket expansion on Lapua brass or Winchester brass.

Do your comments refer to a more aggressive tool or perhaps lower quality brass?

I appreciate that these tools are not designed to enlarge the primer pocket but, they are very close-fitting sharp carbide cutters and careless use with a power-tool can easily shave a little off the sides.

Does no harm to wait until after first firing when pocket will 'ease' a little.

Thanks for all your comments.

Up to now all I've done with new brass is to run a mandrel through the necks, then neck sized again and then chamfered the inside and outside of the necks.

I've got a couple of big completions coming up and planned on using my new Palma brass and wanted to be as sure as possible that this was the right thing to do.

Don't uniform primer pockets till after first firing - you don't want to make 'em bigger - after first firing the tool will slip in easily.

Factory chambers won't require trimming for length - most will allow massive case-growth but a custom chamber is another matter. With my 308 Win for example, I trim cases to 2.00in. dead before use - otherwise, after a couple of firings they will be too long.

Interesting comment Vince...all my barrels are aftermarket (but I would struggle to think my rifles as 'custom'), but, this notwithstanding, I always thought that uniform length allows for uniform neck tension (if the brass is of sufficient quality and does not need neck turning to true up). Thank you for the tip on primer pockets, I thought the tool just square up the pocket.

I also full length resize all new brass, making sure that it is all uniform in dimensions. What is your views on that?

Best wishes

Finman

• 3 months later...

Hello Gun Pimp.

Thank you. I have used a sinclair LR primer pocket uniformer in my .308 and .243 with no problems.

Just started on .223 and tried to use a Sinclair SR primer pocket uniformer on new Norma cases but couldn't make it work. Pockets were too tight. So I gave up on the assumption that if they were all like that then they were uniform!

You have 'eased' my mind about the primer pockets 'easing' after the first firing.

Archived