Speeding on motorway !

sandtrap

Just been captured doing 78mph on a motorway ! I know it's not an excuse but I was passing an LGV truck and also there was a car right up my arse , both of these can be clearly seen in the picture I requested from the police .

I have been really carefull to obey the limits since I have been speeding before , I just messed up ! I'm not a habitual speeder ,

will this affect my FAC ?

I of course accept that I did break the limit

Just been captured doing 78mph on a motorway ! I know it's not an excuse but I was passing an LGV truck and also there was a car right up my arse , both of these can be clearly seen in the picture I requested from the police .

I have been really carefull to obey the limits since I have been speeding before , I just messed up ! I'm not a habitual speeder ,

will this affect my FAC ?

I of course accept that I did break the limit

Nah your fine, not unless you were running from a bank robbery!

It won't affect your FAC, but on renewal, you must declare this (if convicted)

Have you been offered a speeding awareness course ?? This can overcome the points on your licence and reduce (hah, ha !!) the cost of your insurance upon renewal. Ronin's advice is sound

On the M25 around Waltham Abbey the digital cameras on the side of the gantries are set at a low tolerance AND work this the overheads signs so 50 is set at around 55 I understand.

wow that's harsh.i routinely pass the police at 80 never been stopped in 20 years,was told by a police mate that they want you to pass not create a jam behind them.

Dono about that I passed one at 52 in a 50 and he caught up with me as I was passing to wave 5 fingers at me to indicate "50"

Dono about that I passed one at 52 in a 50 and he caught up with me as I was passing to wave 5 fingers at me to indicate "50"

this is on the motorways,perhaps they normally allow more leeway

this is on the motorways,perhaps they normally allow more leeway

My best mates a cop would probably agree with you, think my guy was just a tager!

My best mates a cop would probably agree with you, think my guy was just a tager!

this would only be when traffic is light to moderate, and the weather good, so safer conditions,wouldn't take the mick

Must declare it on your form when renewing , I was told by my FLO all must be declared even speeding fines , but that might just be his take on it , however I've always declared if occured since last renewal

Speedos over-read by varying margins. I can't see any point raising the issue or how good or bad your speedo calibration is. It can only go against you, ie you'll appear to be working the fine margins of the law.

My Audi over-reads by 1kph at 100, and the Ranger by 6kph. I got pinged at 129 (80.2mph) overtaking in the Ranger a few weeks ago. Got stuck in a line of five cars behind a -slow- truck for at least 5km. The cop admitted he was about to overtake us all and pull the slow truck over, that was just before I pulled out. The mongrel wouldn't cut me any slack though.. :((

Bad luck.

We all speed, I know I do. 80mph on the M25 keeps you with the average traffic flow. However it is still a criminal offence in the UK, albeit without the rigmarole and stigma of more serious offences. As such you are required by law to declare it when you renew your certificates.

It shouldn't be a problem, I declared mine and the FAC was issued without comment.

Atb

ACPO and HO guidelines are only to prosecute at 10% plus 2 ( to allow for the fact that legally a speedo can be 10% out - the extra 2 is to allow for the fact that its not easy to read a speedo to within less than 2mph )

So, as I understand it - at 70mph limit you are looking at 3 points for 79mph or over.

I would contest it if you are being prosecuted for 78 !

In this scenario my defence would be that my speedo was indicating 70-72mph - why can I not be ecact ? Well, your honour, the speedo needle is not fine and its hard to be precise to within more than 2mph when reading it.

At 78 you are 1 mph over the 10%.

So in theory, when doing 78 your speedo could be reading 70.9 mph and your speedo is legal.

I would be interested in having the court give their opinion on whether you are expected to be focusing closely on your speedo ( at 70mph on a motorway ) to eliminate an error of LESS than 1 mph !!!

Maybe even raise the issue of ACPO and HO guidelines re the extra 2mph allowance ?

My guess is, they are giving it a run - if you plead guilty they will give you a 3 point penalty - if you request a court hearing, they might drop it. If you do contest it and its not a silly reason, it wont affect court costs too much. If it was me, I would contest it.

I'd be careful arguing the over reading speedo. Modern speedo's are more accurate - many down to 5% error, is your car fitted with one?

Breacher, speedo's don't under read they over read i.e your speedo would be indicating 77mph reflecting a true road speed of 70mph allowing for a 10% error.

At the end of the day you were speeding, simple, take the medicine.

MJR is correct. Speedometer's must never under-read by law.

I may be way off base here, but looking at the OP's location it would seem that he is a victim of the SNP,s zealous vindictiveness. I hear they have, or are instigating a zero tolerance for any excess speed. I can't believe they were voted in.

Atb

It's very unusual to be prosecuted for less than 80 on a motorway (assuming you weren't in a goods vehicle) , so it would be useful to know the circumstances, although if this was in Scotland, things can be a bit different to down here...

There may be a way to challenge it, but difficult to say without knowing the details. At the end of the day, the ACPO guidelines are just that - guidelines. It's still discretionary and if there are circumstances when they think 78 in a 70 deserves prosecution then they can go for it.

Although you are obliged to disclose any convictions, including motoring offences on an FAC application, this does not including parking tickets and fixed penalties, so if you are (or have been) issued a FPN for speeding, you do not need to declare it. In any case, unless a motoring offence was very serious, I doubt it would have any bearing on your FAC.

Please tell us more about what happened if you can. Even better, if you are prepared to post the picture you received (with any identification info blocked out of course) then it would help.

Although you are obliged to disclose any convictions, including motoring offences on an FAC application, this does not including parking tickets and fixed penalties, so if you are (or have been) issued a FPN for speeding, you do not need to declare it. In any case, unless a motoring offence was very serious, I doubt it would have any bearing on your FAC.

A very good point JSC. The full details are in the HO guidance to Police. Section 10.7.

Atb

MJR is correct. Speedometer's must never under-read by law.

I may be way off base here, but looking at the OP's location it would seem that he is a victim of the SNP,s zealous vindictiveness. I hear they have, or are instigating a zero tolerance for any excess speed. I can't believe they were voted in.

Atb

I have no inside -or outside- knowlwdge of any Scottish laws/policy r recent changes therto,though I do have such nationality and some material interest in the country.

Without prejudice either way to the integrity/validity/viability of the SNP, I think they were voted in on the basis of at least a public platform of zero tolerance for foreign interference in Sotland's government.

That perhaps puts 'air guns' and '1mph' in perspective.Rightly or wrongly. :-)

g mcbal

Well, all in all and although I can appreciate Scotland as a lovely place to visit from time to time, I would have to say I'm glad I don't live there.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/tough-crackdown-on-speeding-motorists-in-scotland-1-3822580

Understood,I don't live there either. :-)

I do see that if this 6 month trial scheme of issuing warnings (not 'vindictive' or indeed any fines first time) reduces road traffic deaths,more of those who choose to live there will continue to live.

gbal

Archived