6x47L Barrel life

I know a few here shoot the 6x47 so anyone shot one out yet with RL17

How many rounds were you getting per barrel?

i use solely ELCO 17 [R17] in my 6x47- i have 740 down the tube to date 580 were 105gn bergers.i had it borescoped about 3 weeks ago and had a bit of throat erosion that has not affected accuracy.so i am not worried i will be switching to IMR4350 soon as my el17 is nearly gone as i have a few tubs to use up.i will loose a little velocity but no loss of accuracy using 70gn blitzkings.

I have shot around 1500 through mine and it is still going strong.

First 1200ish was with RL17.

I have moved over to IMR4350 and I am getting the same velocity with less pressure

but with 1grain more powder.

Well I say less prrssure as I dont ever get the random stiff bolt lift I was getting with RL17.

That'd be a -6.5- Terry, not the 6mm.

The supposed ballpark of the 6.5 parent is about 3K barrel life but I'd be astounded if you got more than 1500 out of the 6x47L with full house loads. Mine's showing visible throat erosion at about ?600rounds and I'll be very happy to see double that before it's toast. I'm using AR2209 ( = H4350). My 6.5 version has possibly 1000 down it and showing way less erosion.

That'd be a -6.5- Terry, not the 6mm.

The supposed ballpark of the 6.5 parent is about 3K barrel life but I'd be astounded if you got more than 1500 out of the 6x47L with full house loads. Mine's showing visible throat erosion at about ?600rounds and I'll be very happy to see double that before it's toast. I'm using AR2209 ( = H4350). My 6.5 version has possibly 1000 down it and showing way less erosion.

Lapua introduced the parent 6.5 version to give 6BR Norma performance with longer barrel life for high round count ISSF competitors. Necking it down to 6mm inevitably means it will give a very substantially reduced life compared to the BR.

FWIW, my last 6BR lasted ~3,500 rounds with a very heavy heat-dissipating Border heavy match cut-rifled barrel from the company's glory days. That was with prone later BR shooting using 90s to 107s almost entirely with single-based powders (mostly VarGet) and with modest loads and MVs (just below 2,800 fps with 105gn Berger VLD from 28") compared to what many use. So far as F-Class and especially mid-range BR levels of precision went, 1,500 rounds was the turning point, it still shooting well after that but increasingly difficult to get groups under 3-inches in 600 yards BR and impossible by 2,000 rounds. After that, it was used only for load testing mostly with sporting expanding bullets including 55gn models. It would still shoot them very well indeed at 100 yards at the 3,000 rounds point but lost 200-300 fps and became more finicky as to the powders and charge weights that worked. It would still have been regarded as an effective target rifle on standard NRA targets and I'm pretty sure would have worked in the field on foxes and crows as long as ranges were reduced a bit.

So, 'accuracy' as always is down to application. The Gun Pimp says that 6PPC with its still smaller case and 65-69gn bullets usually sees BR level precision drop off at ~1,300 rounds, but there is the odd barrel on the circuit that still performs up to or beyond 2,000 rounds. When we replaced that 6BR barrel at 3,500 rounds, TGP was shocked when we borescoped it - he'd never seen a BR that was so badly eroded and firecracked and was surprised it performed at all.

So, bearing in mind that the average 6X47L is going to be loaded to considerably higher pressures and throat heating than my old BR and sees a 25% increase in powder charges and energy being forced down a pretty small bore compared to it ..... 1,000 rounds life probably overstates its potential top precision lifespan and I doubt if the average specimen would get past 2,000 shooting with any acceptable precision. But as always, other factors come into play - powder type and specific energy, bullet weight (heavier the bullet, faster the wear), barrel weight and profile, speed of shooting and throat temperatures achieved, barrel steel composition.

Someone shooting varmint weight bullets in the field, a few widely spaced shots per outing, so the throat never gets hot is going to see considerably greater life than the target shooter. One problem with these lovely small high-precision, low-recoil numbers is that they really do tempt owners to go and 'test', 'practice' or whatever that not only soon racks the round-count up but sees long enough enough shot strings to get the throat good and hot. Fun, but at a cost in barrel life!

One problem with these lovely small high-precision, low-recoil numbers is that they really do tempt owners to go and 'test', 'practice' or whatever that not only soon racks the round-count up but sees long enough enough shot strings to get the throat good and hot. Fun, but at a cost in barrel life!

It's doubly bad here with electronic targets Laurie. You can easily get through the shoot in under 3mins in favourable conditions. Very hard to resist..

VS52HPBTs4May14_zps95b435b3.jpg

To comfirm Lauries post

6x47 swiss match, dtac's at around 2950fps, N560. Excellent until 1200 rounds, after needed careful cleaning and polishing with iosso gave another 200 good rounds, just about useless at 1500. Off for a rebarrel tomorrow. Going for same chambering again.

Cheers phil

I have had 1200 rounds through my 6x47L using H4350 and R17 (RS60)

Running fairly warm with Berger 105 Hybrids

Just cut off the chamber end of the barrel for a setback and reprofile, I would not have bothered if it was for erosion alone

Very little throat erosion on a Bartlein barrel.

Still preforming like new...just needed to be able to pick it up without getting a hernia!

Mark

Archived