True-flite barrels.

Got half a dozen of these barrels in from Foxy the other day, as we were bloody sick of waiting for ordered barrels, from around the world, and screaming punters.

I have to say they are excellent quality, infact, probarbly the nicest machining stainless i,ve ever turned, they threaded up and chambered beautifully, and they come in nice meaty profiles, not dissimilar to border T1,s. I watched Vince B shoot a new british record a few months back, of 1.33" at 600 yards, so they obviously shoot. Anyone else tried them? the australian, and nz guys rave about them apparently.

I chambered and fitted a heavy profiled 6.5x47 yesterday, to a surgeon action Dave.Its for my shooting buddy, i shoot with every weekend Its goes to proof on monday,then paint, and then needs bedding into the mcmillan waiting for it.It shouldn,t be too long as its up and running hopefully. Off the top of my head, i think there,s another 6.5 [8 twist], a couple of .308 [11 twists i think] and a couple of 6mm, which now i come to think of it, are actually kriegers, in 8 twists.Brian did say he was due quite a substantial delivery imminently. We have rapidly realised that a large inventory of barrels is going to have to be kept on hand, as every barrel maker in the world is on an eight weeks minimum.Border have a batch due for us, but they are the same...absolutely swamped with work, and its got worse since JR went home unfortunatly. That means a lot of outlay again, but it works, it has for the 10/22 side of things, when we regularly have an inventory of 200-250 barrels in stock.

Plus, it never hurts to give a punter a choice does it? We are aiming to keep Borders, kriegers, tru-flite, pac-nor and lilja in a variety of twists/profiles on the shelf.

You are right Dave the Kiwis rate True-Flite barrels,

I don't know what Brain charges for them but they look cheap in NZ and produce the goods. I am with a NZ guy next week who has just re-barrel his 7mm mag' with one.

All the best

B-b

With the NZ$ dropping quite significantly, they'll only get cheaper for you guys.

My gunsmith clubmates are fitting more of these (rather than Kriegers and Broughtons) as they're such excellent value. My next rifle they build will almost certainly use one. The annoying US export rules also make getting US barrels a right pain. My mate over there is now spared being an unofficial export agent..

Chris, NZ

Got half a dozen of these barrels in from Foxy the other day, as we were bloody sick of waiting for ordered barrels, from around the world, and screaming punters.

I have to say they are excellent quality, infact, probarbly the nicest machining stainless i,ve ever turned, they threaded up and chambered beautifully, and they come in nice meaty profiles, not dissimilar to border T1,s. I watched Vince B shoot a new british record a few months back, of 1.33" at 600 yards, so they obviously shoot. Anyone else tried them? the australian, and nz guys rave about them apparently.

I thought Thames Valley might be bringing some in as well Baldie, might check as I know they were importing Barnards..True flite was using Crucible 416R steel, same steel as Krieger and most of the other US barrelmakers use, it is good steel to machine, chambers and rifles beautifully, would have been nice to use up in Scotland...TF was actually up for sale a few years ago, good to hear they're keeping up the quality..

Yeah, it's getting busy for all the barrelmakers again. Even this one..

JR

I think eventually it worked out that way, yeah, which is good.

All roses here, job is going real well, getting the cut rifling side organised and ready to run, in the latter stages just now...Looking into ordering 1300 tonnes of barrel material in the near future, whoah I says...Big project, should be running smooth by shot show, which is here in orlando...If you get a chance to make a trip, let me know, we have an open house at the plant..be an eye opener...

JR

...TF was actually up for sale a few years ago, good to hear they're keeping up the quality..

JR

They were actually bought out and are just "up the road" from here in Gisborne- check their website.

Better than ever it seems.

Chris, NZ

• 1 month later...

Hello Baldie, I am the new owner of True-Flite NZ. This blog was recently bought to my attention, and I would like to thank you all for giving our barrels a go, and for the comments I have read here. We took True-Flite over in November, and hit the ground running. Its been a hell of a ride so far, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. We have just developed a new 7mm 1-9 twist barrel with special geometry lands, it seems to work well. Our goal was to get the 162grain Amax projectiles to work with magnum type catridges, as the 1-8 twist we have only works with the 7-08 etc. We achieved our goal, and are pleased with the limted results, so I am to shoot our target season with the 1-9 7mm in a straight .284win set up using the mighty 180 vld bergers, this will give us a lot more data to confirm the status of this barrel. We are also considering developing a 6.5 1-8.5 twist barrel with the same geometry. We are constantly in contact with some of NZ's most reknowned gunsmiths to achieve the best product we can produce, and are making changes for the better as we go.

Barrel Guy

Thanks for the update on the Tru Flite.

Could you advise if you are able to ship "steel tubes" (unchambered barrels) direct from NZ to the UK without any export licence paperwork that we have to get when buying barrels from the states (well most makers in the states anyway)

When you mention special profile for 7mm and 6.5mm, do you mean something along the lines of the 5 R rifling design?

Guest northernchris

Hi Dave

I chamberd and fitted one several weeks ago in .308 into one of those Surgens,as you say they are very good indeed :D I have not found any copper in the tube at all,in fact after it came out of the lathe it had 2 patchs through in then it was of to the range,it shot straight away right out of the box :D a good indication its a good tube :D Got a couple more sitting here waiting to go onto actions.

Pic below was 1st 5 rounds of FACTORY Lapua Match after zeroing.

13072008035-1.jpg

Barrel Guy

Thanks for the update on the Tru Flite.

Could you advise if you are able to ship "steel tubes" (unchambered barrels) direct from NZ to the UK without any export licence paperwork that we have to get when buying barrels from the states (well most makers in the states anyway)

When you mention special profile for 7mm and 6.5mm, do you mean something along the lines of the 5 R rifling design?

Ronin

Dont count on that ever happening.....once the postal, or customs get wind of anything to do with firearms they stick their hand in the air, and run around in circles with a wild panicky look in their eyes! ( as we all know!!!) Although I am considering getting a legal classification on what they would be labelled as in an unchambered, un fitted state. But when they are rifled, and we all know what their end use is, I'm not confident we will be allowed to call them "tubes" for the sake of export. In saying this, I think NZ is still one of the more liberal societies we live in......we are even allowed to brew our own spirits.....whiskey etc at home.

If you were to look at the "SG" rifling cross section, it would look like a pyramid with 3/4 of its top removed....flat with tapered sides. I am hesitant to draw a comparison to 5R but the result is to be less savage on the jacket of the projectile, and an easier bore to clean.

Thanks for the honest reply.

I guess I will be using the UK importer (which isnt a problem) but it is sometimes nice to deal direct.

The flat topped pyramid design sounds intersting, is the pattern intended to reduce stress on the bullet or (and) reduce friction and increase velocities?

I am genuinely interested as I have a fast twist heavy for calibre boomer project ongoing......

If you were to look at the "SG" rifling cross section, it would look like a pyramid with 3/4 of its top removed....flat with tapered sides. I am hesitant to draw a comparison to 5R but the result is to be less savage on the jacket of the projectile, and an easier bore to clean.

What groove count would you be using? Canted lands definitely aids the cleaning of the bore, indeed.

Welcome Barrel Guy.

Having used a few of your barrels now, and shot one a bit too [on my friends gun] i am mightily impressed with your barrels.The quality of the steel is absolutely first rate, and the bores dont copper either. We ran 50 rounds down a 6.5x47 on saturday, and then cleaned it with sweets, leaving it to soak for 15 minutes. There was just the slightest trace. The gun then shot the fouling round, exactly to the original point of aim....what more could you want?

More barrels please. ;)

Welcome Barrel Guy.

Having used a few of your barrels now, and shot one a bit too [on my friends gun] i am mightily impressed with your barrels.The quality of the steel is absolutely first rate, and the bores dont copper either. We ran 50 rounds down a 6.5x47 on saturday, and then cleaned it with sweets, leaving it to soak for 15 minutes. There was just the slightest trace. The gun then shot the fouling round, exactly to the original point of aim....what more could you want?

More barrels please. :D

Hey baldie, any chance of sending that 6.5 barrel back, it sounds like what I need on my rifle....hehe.... B) But seriously, feel free to offer constructive comments about our barrels, as our goal is to make the best barrels we can, and your feed back is what we need to identify any shortcomings, or improvements we can make. We have adopted a professional attitude to our business, and already shooters here are responding well to what we are doing.

I was trying to think of a catch phrase for True-Flite, one that come to mind was "We stand behind the barrels we make....cos standing in front of them is not a good alternative!"

I was trying to think of a catch phrase for True-Flite, one that come to mind was "We stand behind the barrels we make....cos standing in front of them is not a good alternative!"

I see a competition coming on. Some one has to make a catch phrase that you like and the winner gets a new True-Flite barrel?............. ah well can't blame me for trying :D

How about, A bullet spun from a True-Flite is not a fair fight ( I have the copywrite to that B))

or True-Flite spin to win

Presuming you will know the tune in OZ.

Umm, it's New Zealand, not Or-struckin-falia ( as we say here).

Several thousand km of water different actually :lol:

Chris-NZ

Archived