Another forum has a post were someone has spoken to Viking Arms and their guess on this rifle is £2K - if so not than keen now!

And only 1300 dollars in the US ? It would seem to be growing golden wings coming over the pond?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, just returned back from the Fly, excellent day out, thanks Vince , Jeanette etc for arranging what I think was a record entry,.

The weather stayed clear and dry, though the infamous Diggle "scirroco winds" caught a few people out.

Its been a while since I have been able to attend the ranges and I really missed the craigh,,,,merciless from some over a tub or two of powder I managed to acquire,,,don't know what the fuss was about :lol:

I took a couple of pics, many UKV members present,

I think some people travelled up from the south

IMG_3325_zpsdwlf7ucp.jpg

IMG_3327_zpshdf7ajts.jpg

My own effort:

No Fly patch this year but happy with two inch group, (16 power scope and off bipod) with the 6.5x47 stalking rifle..

IMG_3329_zpseox7i8ig.jpg

There were more than a handful of 6.5 x 47's, 260's and at least one 6.5 Creedmore, though it didn't appear to offer any advantage over the "47" from the targets I saw.

There were more than a handful of 6.5 x 47's, 260's and at least one 6.5 Creedmore, though it didn't appear to offer any advantage over the "47" from the targets I saw.

Why would it?

All 6.5's are just 6.5's, but if you hold on there'll probably be a new one invented next week that everyone will beat a trail to as the latest and greatest.....such is the way of shooters

Me? I'd put my money on the new .264x51 Swedemoor Gamechanga

You're probably right Mark, I was asked while at the comp if there was any advantage of the CM over anything else, the question was still fresh.

Look forwards to the new cartridges, hope they do well with the silent , self guided, recoilless ammo thats in the pipeline.

You're probably right Mark, I was asked while at the comp if there was any advantage of the CM over anything else, the question was still fresh.

Look forwards to the new cartridges, hope they do well with the silent , self guided, recoilless ammo thats in the pipeline.

That's just it

The .260 and Creedmoor are both based off a .308 case, shoot a 140 and have similar OAL's, so how can they really be that different?

What Hornady did was standardise the round, in the same way AAC SAAMI'd the .300 Whisper and "invented" the Blackout.

The good thing about the Creedmoor is that match grade factory ammo will be available, but that will be daftly expensive, so people are asking about the availability of brass, which will be more expensive than commercial .243 or .308, so if you're going to reload then the .260 seems a far better prospect.

Although we know that won't be the case, and as soon as I invent the .264 Bradlimp II then I can retire a happy and wealthy man.

It'll have a revolutionary shoulder angle that's Neva been dun befo

Who wants one?

Andy, silent has some appeal.How good though will self guided be? If perfect,end of the game,if not....square one.

The 'blanks' had the great advantage of no load development and convenience-after each shot,you can just plot on a score sheet/target where you felt/hoped the shot hit.

g

The first two were using 6mm and 6x47 respectively, I am not sure but third place was a 284.

284, 6mm and 284 Jim. Vince believed that Steve used his 6mm Barrett ABS mod of the 6XC, but it was his 284 Win F-Class action and barrel out that day. Mike Weatherhead would have been using his 284 F-Class rifle too unless he brought his 'old' rifle along, the 7X57mmAI F-Class rig, but it's not shot well since it was rebarrelled.

Given the wind conditions on the first two or three relays, frankly a suitably accurate rifle in any calibre from 223 Rem up to 7WSM could have won assuming it was set up to handle well from the prone position, the optics were high enough quality to 1) cope with the tiny aiming mark and 2) spot the bullet holes, and of course if it was being used by a very good shooter with the experience to spot and correct the small wind changes and knew just how large corrections to apply between groups. (it was very apparent in the butts over the first 4 relays how non-target shooters would over-correct scope adjustments between groups 1 and 2.)

From Relay 4 onwards, external ballistics had a greater influence on group sizes as wind speeds and variability rose. If the conditions had been more usual Diggle throughout the day, we'd maybe have learned more about cartridge capabilities, although even then the other factors would have made any conclusions pretty tenous. As with the competition itself though, it was a great deal of fun and calibre comparisons are always a good discussion point. The 6.5 v 6.5 v 260 debate needs a lot more input yet before you could lean one way or another though and the trio (plus 6.5-284 and 6.5X55) will all do the job perfectly well and are all easily inside their comfort zones at 500 yards.

Happy with the results,

Two of my builds in top ten :D

As I speak my 6.5X47L is having Reload Swiss RS62 powered ammo made for it to see if I can find a 'demon load' .... all right, a half-decent one. The deadline is the 600yd F match on 18th July to ensure it works at that sort of distance.

Laurie,

Could I ask how the RS is going in your 47? Looking to try this in mine in the near future, is the 62 'it' from what you've seen?

Brgds Terry

ps John - confused by your '260 King' comment - or are you saying non F Class cartridge? T

Laurie,

Could I ask how the RS is going in your 47? Looking to try this in mine in the near future, is the 62 'it' from what you've seen?

Brgds Terry

It seems OK on a quick and dirty 100 yard test basis. 123gn Scenar + RS62, nothing worth pursuing, new 120 and 136gn Scenar Ls looked promising with it. The 120 making just over 3,000 fps and the 136 2,848 fps from a 30-inch barrel. With it being short-throated for 120/123s, the 136 was pretty deep in the case and would likely do better in a longer throated chamber.

Previous comments on whether your 6.5X47L is a 'faster burner lover' (ie H. VarGet / Alliant re15) or like mine only works well with slower burners (N150 / N550 and similar) apply.

QuickLOAD estimates the peak pressure for my 136gn load as being ~56-57,000 psi, but to be honest I'm very wary about 6.5X47L with any combination in QL and also rather wary about the program with some RS powders, although 62 doesn't seem a problem to date.

http://s912.photobucket.com/user/laurieh2/media/IMG_20150804_0002.jpg.html?filters[user]=111245973&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/laurieh2/media/IMG_20150804_0002.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=111245973&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0&_suid=14386856773770256923746738764

http://s912.photobucket.com/user/laurieh2/media/IMG_20150804_0002.jpg.html?filters[user]=111245973&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/laurieh2/media/IMG_20150804_0001.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=111245973&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=1&_suid=14386856773770256923746738764

Usual caveats on uysing other people's loads data apply.

Laurie,

Brgds Terry

It seems OK on a quick and dirty 100 yard test basis. 123gn Scenar + RS62, nothing worth pursuing, new 120 and 136gn Scenar Ls looked promising with it. The 120 making just over 3,000 fps and the 136 2,848 fps from a 30-inch barrel. With it being short-throated for 120/123s, the 136 was pretty deep in the case and would likely do better in a longer throated chamber.

Previous comments on whether your 6.5X47L is a 'faster burner lover' (ie H. VarGet / Alliant re15) or like mine only works well with slower burners (N150 / N550 and similar) apply.

QuickLOAD estimates the peak pressure for my 136gn load as being ~56-57,000 psi, but to be honest I'm very wary about 6.5X47L with any combination in QL and also rather wary about the program with some RS powders, although 62 doesn't seem a problem to date.

IMG_20150804_0002.jpg

IMG_20150804_0001.jpg

Usual caveats on using other people's loads data apply.

N160 is a bit too slow burning for the 6.5X47L and its lower capacity case, John. It runs better with powders in the VarGet to 4350 / N150 group. 6.5mm Creedmoor and 260 with around 12% greater case capacities can just start to exploit the next group in the slower burning direction, IMR-4831, N160, RS70 and similar although it's a toss-up as to whether an individual rifle will give better results with N150 / 4350s / RS62 or powders in that group.

The Lapua design is an excellent one as can be seen by its widespread adoption and excellent competition results. I worry though that it's very easy to overcook pressures and it doesn't give much, sometimes no, feedback on this until it blows primers. For that reason, I much prefer the two larger numbers and whose performance as Bradders seems to be keen to remind us are so close that they are likely indistinguishable in practical terms and choice comes down to personal preference and brass quality / availability.

PS I didn't hear you say who you were when you introduced yourself to Vince at sign-in time, so missed a chance to say 'Hello', not seeing you later by the time I escaped from the butts and shot. Maybe, next year!

Archived