Custom 6.5 x55

Good News arrived today in the form of a Custom Built Rifle in 6.5x55 calibre. This is particularly good in that the whole project from inception to delivery took less than 6 months including procurement from the USA and Germany. The action was on the shelf in UK, but the stock was made to order and Duracoated in the USA by Tom Manners and Larsen Technical respectively, and delivered to UK in 9 weeks. The barrel came from Lothar Walter also in 8 -10 weeks ( I forget exactly). The build work was carried by one of this boards sponsors - Steve Kershaw- and the Duracoating of the action and moderator supply was done by James Clarke ( Kaleiderscope)

The project was pulled together by Col48, who also arranged for the 'bits & pieces' - Scope, Dies, Factory ammunition, Load development etc.

I would like to publicly thank all of those Guys for what has been a refreshing and pleasant experience, and Col48 for keeping me informed all along the way, with both good and not so good news as supply problems came and went. No matter the glitches with suppliers, US Postal services, Italian customs, I was kept aware, and this, to me, is what Customer Service is all about.

Col48 has tested the rifle prior to delivery, and it does what was required in the initial order and agreement, it is to the agreed specification and it was delivered with a smile.

THANKS to you all!

I am away from Home this week, but I shall be shooting the rifle myself at the first opportunity, and can hardly wait for next weekend to get it to the Range.

P1010126.jpg

P1010128.jpg

P1010138.jpg

The colour scheme may not be to everyones taste, but I am pleased with it, and the deer will never notice!

ATB

T260

Looks stunning Peter, as you can see I'm back from gallivanting around in Greece. Let me know when you have a spare day and we can get together on the proviso that you bring the 6.5x55 with you :rolleyes:

What a superb looking rifle. I would certainly be very proud of that.

I'd also be wishing the hours away to get some range time with it.

Glad you had a positive build experience with the rifle.

Cheers and have fun with it.

Dave

Looks stunning Peter, as you can see I'm back from gallivanting around in Greece. Let me know when you have a spare day and we can get together on the proviso that you bring the 6.5x55 with you :rolleyes:

Hope your Greek getaway was good Ian, I am over at the BDS Course at Wadhurst this week, but I shall definitely be in contact next week. I would have loved to do the shooting test with the 6.5x55, but I am sure the 260 will manage it ok !

ATB

Looks absolutely stunning

any more details - action, trgger, etc?

Be awaiting the range report.

Guest northernchris

Looks good mate :rolleyes: Nice to here of someone getting what they wanted and on time.What twist rate did you go for???

Its a Lawton7000, long action with 20MOA rail, Jewel Trigger, Badger Bottom Metal, AI Magazine, Ken Farrell rings hand lapped to Swaro 4-16x50 PV 30mm tube scope. Moderator is A-Tec. Barrel is LW Magnum Sporter, factory fluted, 1:9 twist to stabilise 100 - 130 Gn bullets, which it seems to do just fine from Cols testing. Stock is a Manners MCS-T, standard weight and fittings.

The components were definitely not 'drop fit' , but it has come together very nicely with a lot of effort by everyone concerned.

User comments to follow when I ve had it making a few bangs next week.

Thanks for your kind remarks everyone, and this experience has renewed my faith in human nature for certain.

ATB.

Thats a belter matey.

So nice too, to hear british riflesmiths etc being praised for what they do, instead of being pulled to bits.There really is no need to go abroad...its all here.

I,m sure that will shoot as good as it looks, Steve,s guns are like mr kiplings cakes.....exceedingly good.

best wishes with it.

hi Andy

Lawton Long Action, spiral fluted bolt, with Lawton bolt handle, Picatinny rail in steel,20 MOA

Lothar Walter s/s barrel - #1450, 22" long, threaded for A-Tec Moderator, Calibre 6.5x55. Twist 1:9" Fluted. Standard SAMMI chamber dimensions. (minimum)

Manners Ultra light weight stock finished in Duracoat "Flectarn" stock coated by Larsen tactical, with studs and decelerator pad, LOP 13.5" (standard length)

ken Farrel rings, lapped and dura coated

Action , metal work and barrel Duracoated in Olive Drab, with barrel flutes in black (our own kal)

Arnold Jewell HVA Trigger, 'A' spring ( Hunting)

Badger bottom metal

AICS 10 round magazine + 1 spare

Load tested with 120Gn Nosler BT , Factory Norma / homeloads

swaro 4 -16x50PV reticule 4A

1 x A-TEC mod (30 cal) + (dura coat)(kal coated the mod as well)

End cap

that is just about the sum of the rifle build.

i had a lot of problems getting it all pulled together,(i will not bore you with the details) but i enjoy what i do, some say what do you do, well i say try to get everything and every body to do what they do and get it all in the right place at the right time.

iv shot a few groups with the rifle and she seems to be fine to me.but i will await the important response from tikka 260.and hopefully we will get the thumbs up.

ATB

Colin

it looks like i should learn to type faster,

Tikka , Col

thanks for the spec list.

I was a little intrigued at the action as I initially thought it was a Lawton, but the bolt shroud is unlike any Lawton ive seen, more like a Nesika or BAT shroud (maybe its the angle of the photograph or Lawton have changed the shroud style without updating the web site - it matters no anyway)

The rifle looks a perfect compromise of componants - barrel not too heavy for stalking, stock not too heavy either (nice choice in the Manners) and lightweight moderator.

I look forward to the range and fallen beast reports.

The Lawtons I have seen have all apart from this one had the same bolt shroud as a Remington 700, just like Pierce and Stiller "clone 700" actions.

The conical shroud on Tikka's rifle sets it apart and in my view makes it far more attractive than the standard shroud.

I wonder if its an option to buy separately that could be retrofitted to any 700 bolt - any ideas Col?

Guest wireviz

Well done Colin for putting all them bits together sounds like you took the pain out of costum building .It really looks the part i hope it shoot for you tikka .I really like the 6.5 calibre it dose every thing need hunting wise over here with a bit to spare..

Congrats Tikka, it's sure looks the dogs.. I love that finish to the stock. didn't realise Kal could do that sort of camo detail with duracoat. Looks great matey... :P

I can do the flectarn pattern as per Tikka 260s, actually I can do any of the finishes that Larson offer, however, my finishes are slightly different in that all rifles and stocks are unique to one and other.

I can do the flectarn pattern as per Tikka 260s, actually I can do any of the finishes that Larson offer, however, my finishes are slightly different in that all rifles and stocks are unique to one and other.

[/quote

BTW, Thanks to you James, the colour match of the action to the stock is spot on. On the basis of Col's/FB's testing, the rifle shoots, which is obviously the most important part of the exercise. However, to have it looking so damn cute as well is the icing on the cake. Much appreciated!

Larsen did the stock in a week, maybe knowing that it wouldnt be used for some time??,

........... so they didn't make any comments about curing time, certainly not to my knowledge anyway.

ATB

P

BTW, Thanks to you James, the colour match of the action to the stock is spot on. On the basis of Col's/FB's testing, the rifle shoots, which is obviously the most important part of the exercise. However, to have it looking so damn cute as well is the icing on the cake. Much appreciated!

Larsen did the stock in a week, maybe knowing that it wouldnt be used for some time??,

........... so they didn't make any comments about curing time, certainly not to my knowledge anyway.

ATB

P

P

Glad you like the finish, youre welcome. :P

Tikka

all the parts Kal coated for your rifle had to cure for a month hence why it took a little longer,Iam sure Kal will comment more on this process for those who are interested

I recommend the nearest full cure time Duracoat give me, which is 4-6 weeks, however, they say most parts can be used after overnight curing, although I have had some parts that need longer. As im carrying out the work I like to ensure the curing period is well under way before the rifle or part is used.

I usually keep parts for a week after they are done, this is dictated by the workload which is pretty hectic at times.

My lead times for coating is 4-8 weeks now and these are estimates only, as there are times when im able to get things done quicker or sometimes things take longer.

The rifle was delayed due to the bottom metal being delayed which was out of my hands, the rifle was delivery was delayed

I do believe this is the bottom metal that I supplied, which I purchased during my visit to Tac-Pro. It was a cock up from start to finish which was resolved after a fair few phone calls and emails.

hi all

maybe it might be prudent to clear the site of all this $hit and ether start again, or just pull the post all together.

as long as tikka is happy with his rifle i am happy,i don't need a backslapping post,just the thumbs up from my customer. but it is nice to see all the hard work up in the photos,

that was what this post was about wasn't it?????????????? I'm not sure now :blink::lol::lol:

ATB

Colin :D

Indeed Col

trust me mate, if it looked sxxe I am sure you would have been told!

Could you perhaps elaborate on the Lawton bolt shroud, as I posted earlier, it is unlike any Rem "clone" action I have seen, rather like a BAT or Nesika and I have to say it cleans up the rear of the action very well.

Do you know if this style shroud is available as an aftermarket "add on" for Rem style actions?

If they are, I know someone who would like one or two for their own rifles (me) :blink:

Indeed Col

trust me mate, if it looked sxxe I am sure you would have been told!

Could you perhaps elaborate on the Lawton bolt shroud, as I posted earlier, it is unlike any Rem "clone" action I have seen, rather like a BAT or Nesika and I have to say it cleans up the rear of the action very well.

Do you know if this style shroud is available as an aftermarket "add on" for Rem style actions?

If they are, I know someone who would like one or two for their own rifles (me) :blink:

hi

when i first ordered the action i believe Lawton where having there bolts made by a separate company. just the same as most of the other action manufactures.(i believe bat make there own) and at the time of ordering the actions they was having some supply problems with the bolts.

so Barny actually geared up to make his own bolts,this delayed the actions by a couple of months.

so may be this is the reason y the shroud looks different.

the quality of the finish is not the best and we had to do some polishing and there is some machine marks around the lugs,(milling cutter marks)

i have asked about this and i believe the bolts are finished better now, there is no detriment to the tolerances of the action/bolt fit,just purely cosmetic

not sure if Lawton will make bolts for other actions, maybe maybe not give them an email and see what they say.

lawtonmachinellc@yahoo.com;

address your email to Candi and she will help you out. good people to work with.and very very helpful

ATB

Colin

Thanks Colin

The shroud is only retains the firing pin and screws into the rear of the bolt (as you will know)

I'll e-mail Candi (thanks) do you know is Barney is out of hospital ( I read he was very unwell, no point in bothering the company if the man with the answers is unavailable is there)

Archived