Custom 6.5 x55

Doh! :blink:

So much to do, so little time,

why didnt I think of that :lol:

FWIW.... I had the Rifle out on the range today, using Norma Factory 120 Nosler BT . It grouped .5MOA without the moderator and with me shooting it, so it is probably capable of better.

Scan below is the result with the moderator fitted.

2 rounds at 5 o/c on the target was the initial group with moderator, The remaining 3 rounds were following adjustment of the scope 10 clicks up and 5 left, ( should have been 4 clicks) and I pulled the last round at 9 o/c position. "The Mutt behind the Butt" .

Whatever, for factory rounds it does what I asked of it, and for normal deer stalking, management I am not sure that reloading will give me very much more. I have confidence in the rifle , and it is sweet to shoot with those loads, which chronoed at 2805 average of 15 rounds , with max spread of 35 fps..

Now, before the flak arrives, I know it is not what you Varmint snipers manage to produce , but for me it is good to go.

Lawton_Norma.jpg

Thats it Guys, I am a Happy Mutt...

With the exception of the AI Magazines , which were my choice NOT the Builder of the Rifle. If anyone knows of an alternative magazine that will fit into the Badger bottom metal, I would love to hear about it.

ATB

T260

FWIW.... I had the Rifle out on the range today, using Norma Factory 120 Nosler BT . It grouped .5MOA without the moderator and with me shooting it, so it is probably capable of better.

Scan below is the result with the moderator fitted.

2 rounds at 5 o/c on the target was the initial group with moderator, The remaining 3 rounds were following adjustment of the scope 10 clicks up and 5 left, ( should have been 4 clicks) and I pulled the last round at 9 o/c position. "The Mutt behind the Butt" .

Whatever, for factory rounds it does what I asked of it, and for normal deer stalking, management I am not sure that reloading will give me very much more. I have confidence in the rifle , and it is sweet to shoot with those loads, which chronoed at 2805 average of 15 rounds , with max spread of 35 fps..

Now, before the flak arrives, I know it is not what you Varmint snipers manage to produce , but for me it is good to go.

Lawton_Norma.jpg

Thats it Guys, I am a Happy Mutt...

With the exception of the AI Magazines , which were my choice NOT the Builder of the Rifle. If anyone knows of an alternative magazine that will fit into the Badger bottom metal, I would love to hear about it.

ATB

T260

hi tikka

you will get that rifle shooting loads better with hand loads(we did) or even swapping factory ammo. i would give sako ammo a try and load a few rounds up with the reloading gear, it will only take you a couple of hours to get her shooting in to the .4 or under. the load i gave you is probably a bit hot, but she printed very tight groups.there is no reason y she will not do that with a lighter load.

i would personally expect better groups than what you have posted with that rifle, and premium ammo.

she may not like the nosler, so i would try even Federal gold or something similar.

or better still utilize the reloading stuff.

ATB

Colin :)

Tikka you might try JAE Enterprises for a different mag option, though I think you'd have to replace the bottom metal. The mags they make for their rifles (which willtake either AI or their own) are pricey, but built like a freaking tank. I think they run about $100 a pop. That's a lot for a magazine, at least that's what I thought until I fondled...errr...handled one. Awesome work, milled from a block of T7 and then parkerized.

J. Allen Enterprises, Inc.

It'd be interesting to see if they would be up to making replacement bottom metal to fit their mags...

hi tikka

you will get that rifle shooting loads better with hand loads(we did) or even swapping factory ammo. i would give sako ammo a try and load a few rounds up with the reloading gear, it will only take you a couple of hours to get her shooting in to the .4 or under. the load i gave you is probably a bit hot, but she printed very tight groups.there is no reason y she will not do that with a lighter load.

i would personally expect better groups than what you have posted with that rifle, and premium ammo.

she may not like the nosler, so i would try even Federal gold or something similar.

or better still utilize the reloading stuff.

ATB

Colin :lol:

Hi Tikka,

No flak, but as you say your happy with the grouping, but if it was me then i would like smaller groups, and as Col says, try other loads before you settle on the chosen one.

When i bought my .270 i was at paper for a long while before i found the factory ammo that i was happy with, and then i went the reloading route and haven't looked back. Back then i was happy with 1"groups @ 100 YARDS, but now i aim for sub 1" and if i can acheive 1/2" @ 100 then i'm a happy bunny(no pun intended).

But if your happy then all's well, but that rifle will group a lot better than that :)

Kip

I agree entirely with all that Col and yourself have to say, I didn't explain previously that I was shooting yesterday off a front rest only, so it was hardly a 'Bench Test' , but rather a 'Get a Zero & see What will it do in the field with factory loads' sort of test, which I still feel represents dead deer at every shot.

I am convinced that in terms of absolute accuracy the rifle will shoot far better than that in a properly supported situation, and I am now loading up some N160 and RL19 and see what it will give.

I'll post results in due course for the sake of interest.

BTW, if anyone has a pet load for the 6.5x55, would you care to share?

ATB

Kip

I agree entirely with all that Col and yourself have to say, I didn't explain previously that I was shooting yesterday off a front rest only, so it was hardly a 'Bench Test' , but rather a 'Get a Zero & see What will it do in the field with factory loads' sort of test, which I still feel represents dead deer at every shot.

I am convinced that in terms of absolute accuracy the rifle will shoot far better than that in a properly supported situation, and I am now loading up some N160 and RL19 and see what it will give.

I'll post results in due course for the sake of interest.

BTW, if anyone has a pet load for the 6.5x55, would you care to share?

ATB

Tikka,

As you say, at sensible ranges that is indeed a dead Deer :)

• 4 weeks later...

Col has sorted the drop floor plate bottom metal option, via Riflecraft I think, and it arrived today. Just fitted it, and it was a straight swap for the AICS magazine bottom metal. It feeds perfectly, 4 in the mag and one in the chamber if thats what you want. Personally I 'll stick with 4 in the box for woodland stalking and known routine.

All it needs is a 'splash' of Duracoat, and a blind man would be pleased to see any difference.

Thanks Colin.

• 4 weeks later...

Every rifle is differentbut my pro-hunter likes:

48.7gr of Vhit 160 and a sierra 120gr prohunter for sub 0.5 inch groups at 100yds.

A brilliant calibre.

J

• 2 weeks later...

After the initial firings of the rifle, I researched various loads and took advice from many who shoot the 6.5x55 . I made up a range of loads based upon Noslers recipes using RL19.

The results were somewhat disappointing, as the most accurate load was indeed at the low end of velocity, as predicted by the Nosler book. The following was with 44.5 Gns RL19 , but it only crept out at 2535fps... using the Nosler 120 BT. Not really what I was looking for in a deer rifle.

LawtonRL19_01grp.jpg

So, more advice and research among fellow stalkers using the calibre, Upshot of it was to load 49.0 Gns RL22 starting at .006" off the lands, then shoot groups of 3 in .010" increments.

Results very interesting :

First is at .006" off the lands

LawtonRL22_006grp.jpg

Next one is .015"

LawtonRL22-15grp.jpg

Then stumbled onto the sweet spot at .025"

LawtonRL22-25_1grp.jpg

and repeated it several times over 2 days.

LawtonRL22-25_2grp.jpg

So, the search for the Grail looks to be over, I am amazed and delighted at the way this thing shoots, I never imagined it possible. All that remains is to chrono the rounds next week, but I think they ought to be in the ball park around 2800, which will be fine for my purposes.

I have already given my thanks to Col and Steve K for bringing it all together, I highly recommend both the service and the end result.

Lawton_Range.jpg

Nuff said, the Badger BM and AICS mags are now redundant, as I have elected to use a Badger drop floor plate. IMHO the Badger / AICS set up is clumsy on a stalking rifle, not to mention noisy.

ATB

Was the M4 metal a straight swap?

Excellent groups by the way :blink:

Was the M4 metal a straight swap?

Excellent groups by the way :blink:

hi ronin

yes the badger flour plate was a direct swap, the one i originally ordered was meant to be black, but at the last minuet i was told the bottom metal was in the white, a minor hiccup.

so unless it has all ready been sold i do believe there is a badger bottom metal and 2 x mags for a long action up for grabs.

and when i was trying to get them they where as rear as hens teeth.

but be warned if you pm tikka 260 they are not cheap, and his is brand new

ATB

Colin

Archived