hi been reading the posts on dingle egg challenge, been out tonight to try the rifle out at 500 yards and it's 2 inch out to the right what would this equal in moa please to get it back to zero.

will have to take more bullets next time

Thank you for that, my scope is in 1/4 moa so it looks like I'm always going to be slightly to the right . Thanks again for the help

Thank you for that, my scope is in 1/4 moa so it looks like I'm always going to be slightly to the right . Thanks again for the help

Unless you were down a coal mine shooting, surely there must have been some wind wherever you were? Regards JCS

Wozar,have another look at the current post "Diggle Egg Shoot" post 56,which gives the shot fall at the egg.Very few are within two inches,so you may be doing rather well. One hit per 30 shots seems about ball park hit rate.

JCS has a good point-It's unlikely you shot to 500yards without any wind-though bear in mind direction of drift-it won't be a constant,though in UK!

You say your shots were 2 inches off-ok,thats 2 clicks,or .5 moa given your scope. (.5x5=21/2 " at 500,as you have worked out).

That's why target scopes come in 1/8 moa clicks!

But some of this might be a bit OTT- how many shots were in your 2 " -you'd need at least 5,and need to measure centre of group ,from centre of egg,which you may well have done,and most eggs are around 1and a half to one and three quarters inch in width,so you have half that leeway,for an edge hit.

I'd not be too worried about always being a bit off- measurement,precision and repeatability (in wind) just is not that precise.

Two clicks and see what happens.If you get 3/3 hits,there is always next year,when the wind will be different.....check that * 56 fall of shot post again (and consider too the very low comparative scores on the groundhog target (the best score was 32/18/2 on100/300/500 : that shows about as clearly as anything that 500y is not just "click up from from 100'' with a .25 moa rifle). !/4 moa scope clicks are not too critical,seen thus-just hold the opposite edge of the egg if it turns out to be uber precise! Good to try though-most don't.

gbal

Very light breeze going towards the target, had 5 bullets first 2 skimmed the side of the target re checked the scope at 185 yards then went back to 500 last 2 bullets were 2 inch to the right and 3/4 inch hole centre to centre I know this is not a group need to go back and try a 5 shot group now I've got the scope adjusted and hopefully get a good group i can post a picture on here

hi been back out again tonight to put a 5 shot group at 500 yards not that impressive , I thought it was going to be better

20150604_200106_zpsdx153vhu.jpg

I've got a remy 700 308 in a accuracy international AT stock with an ior 5.8-40x56 scope trigger is standard an ase north star mod and harris bipod

Wozer what amo are you using? If it groups at a 100yards it doesn't follow that it will work at 200y Thats why I do all my testing at 200yards. There can be a big drop off from 150 to 200 even on a calm day.

Hmmmmm.......I doubt that you are doing yourself any favours by using a light for calibre bullet,and a flat base one at that-does BC even make it to .3- at 500yards,especially with any wind.

I'd be quite surprised if any of the Diggle Egg shooters were using this type of varmint intended bullet.

Though this type can be accurate,especially at shorter ranges,there are reports of performance falling off with distance-as a flat base might expect,relative to a heavier long range better BC design....

The 155 Amax is.435 BC;the 155 Scenar .46; 168 Amax .475; 175 SMK .5; 185 scenar .52

BC is not everything,but the Varmageddon design would not seem to bring much special to the 500y precision table....and an egg at 500yards is a demanding target-it is only hit about one in thirty shots,averaged over the years in typical Diggle tricky winds.

gbal

under 1 Moa @ 500 .could be a number of reasons for your group size a change of bullet as said could make all the difference or being a factory barrel its just simply reached its limit accuracy wise.but if you were to remove shot three you would just about half your group size .

hi been back out again tonight to put a 5 shot group at 500 yards not that impressive , I thought it was going to be better

20150604_200106_zpsdx153vhu.jpg

That horizontal x axis on the target sticker is playing havoc with my OCD... Daft question you had your reticle square when you pulled the trigger? Hope your enjoying the scope BTW :)

That horizontal x axis on the target sticker is playing havoc with my OCD... Daft question you had your reticle square when you pulled the trigger? Hope your enjoying the scope BTW :)

no regrets on the scope really like it , the sticker was straight when I was shooting just the way I've taken the pic :wacko:

I would of said that was pretty good group at 500yds for the bullet you used.looking at your 200yd group you have a vertical issue that doesn't seem to match the 500yd target.horizontal is great.i would say your seating depth needs adjusting to change your vertical string.maybe try a bigger target too.i find aiming at a corner of a square target works well

Archived